Which hotel in Honolulu?

Old Jun 15th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Which hotel in Honolulu?

We're booked at the Hawaii Prince and the Hilton Hawaiian Village in September and can't decide which to keep. The Prince is highly rated but the pool area doesn't look too big and the beach is not nearby. Does anyone have a better suggestion?
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 08:41 AM
trippinkpj

If you want a nice pool area, I think Hilton Hawaiian Villiage is a great choice. And I like the location. Close to the action, but not too close! I'm not familiar with the other props, but the Marriott on the beach might be a good one to check out.

Old Jun 15th, 2006, 08:56 AM

We're very partial to the Outrigger right on the beach. Nice big rooms.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 08:59 AM
trippinkpj

I was thinking about the Outriggers also.
Underhill- Is that the Outrigger Reef, or the Outrigger Waikiki? I noticed both are on the beach.

Old Jun 15th, 2006, 07:20 PM

Hi:

We enjoyed our stay at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach. It is right in the center of Waikiki, right on a nice stretch of beach with Duke's Bar right there. Our room (booked city view, got ocean view) was quiet and the service good. The pool isn't huge, but wasn't crowded and we swam in the ocean more anyways. I would certainly stay there again.
Kristen
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 07:24 PM

We've stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village and were treated like royalty. Stay there...you won't be sorr.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 09:20 PM

Just a couple of notes on some of the properties discussed here.

Duke's is in Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach, not Outrigger Reef on the Beach.

Hilton Hawaiian Village just had a ground breaking ceremony today for a 38 story tower on their property. It's going to be a time share building. So what that will do for noise or other inconvenience in the area, I don't know.

Hawaii Prince is only about 100 yards or so from the beach at HHV. The Prince overlooks Ala Wai Boat Harbor. It is right across the bridge from Ala Moana Center, Ala Moana Beach & Magic Island.

Map of most Waikiki hotels:

http://www.waikiki.us/waikikimap.htm...260bb1d8c8b18a
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 11:17 PM

Love the Hilton. Nice grounds, right on the beach (which is nice and wide there, and less crowded than most of Waikiki), beachside bar, a few pools...if you're going to go to Waikiki, it's a lot nicer to be right on the beach and have lots of nice grounds to enjoy (waterfalls, fish pools, etc), rather than having only indoor hotel facilites.

I was there last week and you could see the big pit where they are starting to build-it's on the other side of the parking garage, away from the hotel-but there was no noise when I was at the hotel.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 08:12 AM

And, if you are military, you have the choice of Ft. DeRussey, right next door to HHV, at much less cost!
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 12:28 PM

Hi:
Ooops. I did mistype. We stayed in the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. Why are the names so close to the same thing, anyways? My SIL just got back from a stay at the Hilton Hawaiian village and loved it.
Kristen
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 01:05 PM
trippinkpj

The military hotel, Hale Koa that SouthBelle mentioned is a great place. We stayed there a few years ago my my parents.