Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which Disney on Broadway for pre-schoolers?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, I am dismayed by the fact that there is so much Disney on Broadway! But I want to take my preschool neice (3) and nephew (5) to a matinee this summer. Any advice on which might be most entertaining: Lion King, Beauty & Beast (if we go soon), Tarzan, or Mary Poppins ??? Also, three-year-olds are allowed in, right? Thinking of Ellen's Stardust Diner for lunch or dinner. Do you think that's a good choice? Thanks for any advce!

Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 05:03 AM

Remember The Lion King has that death scene. It's a great production, but how do the children like the story?

I'd start with finding out which of the choices they prefer. They've seen all the movies, I'm sure. Then see which tickets are available.

Beauty and the Beast is a successful standard, harmless, and probably well known to the kids.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 06:35 AM

If it matters, the only one of these for which discount tickets are consistently available (see broadwaybox.com) is Tarzan. If you read the reviews, it doesn't sound very good, BUT folks do say it's great for the very young crowd. I mention this because I'd be hesitatant to spend $125 for a ticket to a show for a 3 or 5 year old.

Also, if you're going late in the year, Little Mermaid will also be an option.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 06:47 AM

Before spending at least $150 on tickets for your niece and nephew, be sure that they are able to sit through quietly a 2.5 hour show. Have they shown an interest in seeing a show or is it something you want to do?

There is nothing more annoying to other audience members than a child who has gotten bored and starts acting up.

Depending on when you are here, you might want to look into shows at www.newvictory.org
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 07:45 AM

I think taking a 3 yr old to a Broadway show is both crazy and unfair to the others in the audience. Many shows actually have minimum age requirements.

Take them to something designed for younger kids. Have a look a newvictory.org

Gocitykids.com is also a good site to find age appropriate things.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 07:58 AM

Even the the Disney shows recommend ages 6 and up--though it looks like they don't specifically set an age minimum
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 08:26 AM

This is more of a question for the respondants than the OP.

Do people really pay $100+ to take little kids to live theatre? I can't imagine what preschoolers would get out of it that they wouldn't enjoy twice as much at the neighborhood theatre watching a film. At least at the movies, they could squirm in their seats, stand up, sit down, make noise, eat candy, and run to the potty every half hour without anyone really minding terribly.

My kids (now grown), specifically my daughter, would probably never have sat still for that period of time - and if she would, she would have been bored senseless. You can only expect so much maturity and adult behavior out of a 3 year old no matter how well behaved she is.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 08:36 AM

I don't know about paying full price $120 ticket, but even with a discount ticket prices are in the $65-75 range.

And, yes, I saw Tarzan two Saturday ago. Quite a few children in the audience.
The young boy in front of me was absolutely perfect, but I did hear another child in the audience crying quite loudly.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 08:39 AM

I believe that 3-year-olds are NOT allowed into most, if not all, shows!
I agree with previous posts that taking a child that young to a Broadway is not a wise choice! I don't care how "good" and "well behaved" you may claim the child to be, it's too much to expect him/her to sit still for that length of time. And, thus, also as mentioned in a previous post, it's unfair to those in the audience near that child!
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 08:51 AM

Also check out theatreworksusa.org for shows geared to young children.

Agree that Bway is a waste of money for a three year old! Took my son to Beauty and the Beast when he was four; he was scared by the fog machine, and afterwards told me he liked the smaller shows better that we saw at home (local children's theater).

Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 08:57 AM

Since our kids have been little, we have made it a point to take them to the local high school musicals, etc. Some of them are pretty good, and the $5-$10 price is just right.

When my girls were maybe 8 and 5, we took them to a professional production of Annie. The girl who played Annie had some very quick changes and my daughters were very bothered by the idea of her changing in the wings. I had to reassure them that all was well and that the poor little actress was not actually naked in front of the whole cast and crew. You never know what a kid is going to focus on!
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 09:00 AM

Most shows require that chikdren be at least 5 - and even then it's a long time for a little kid to sit quiety. (Disney shows don;t say so because they want the older kids and don;t want to force parents to figure out what to do with the others.)

And you don;t wnat to pay $125 seats and then have to leave after 1/2 hour if the kids can't sit still and be quiet.

I agree with checking out the much shorter events/prgorams they have for younger kids - as listed on the web site above.

Also- check out the web site of the local new chanel (ny1news.com) - they list events for kids (dance, puppet shows, all sorts of things) every week.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 09:06 AM

i took each of my 3 nieces to see lion king for their birthdays when they turned either 5 or 6. all 3 sat absolutely spellbound the entire time and loved every second. but that still isn't a 3 yo.

have you taken the 3 yo to the movies? how have they sat through that? my kids are now 5 and 4 and are still pretty squirmy at movies like cars and charlotte's web.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Okay, okay - We won't go! I've never seen such a consensus on this board.

Anyway, I don't think they know the stories, nor have they been to a movie before. I only see them a couple times a year, and wanted to do something memorable. Any other suggestions?

Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 11:25 AM

Yes. Take them in a row boat in Central Park (or on the Gondola). There's also an amusement park set up in Wollman rink for the summer with rides.
http://www.victoriangardensnyc.com/

Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 11:26 AM

Before you totally give up (or before you plan another activity), ask their parents to tell you how long they think their kids could sit and pay attention at a concert, play, etc. (that is geared for children). They may say 90 minutes or they may say 10. That will help you decide what do to with them (and how much you want to pay.)

Also, I assume you were considering a matinee, but check normal bedtimes and naptimes before you buy tickets to anything. My youngest is now 11 and she still falls asleep at 10:30, whereever she is.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 01:23 PM

At that age, what I think is most fun and memorable is time spent with you.

We have 5 year old quadruplet great niece and nephews, and have enjoyed squirt gun fights in the back yard, playing air hockey, going to the zoo, the Children's Museum, cuddling and reading books, drawing together with Magna-doodle, singing silly songs, picnics where there's a nice playground.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 03:33 PM

They wil love the zoo in Centtral Park. It's small enough for kids not to lose intrest and alsoo has a special kids section.

And do check out the ny1news.com web site - they have a lot of programs for kids of all ages - much less expensive and many quite short.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 05:29 PM

I think a Broadway show is probably a bit too grown up for such young kids, and they probably won't remember it.

How about a Barney or similar show and I would suggest checking with a venue like Radio City to see what they have up.

I also agree that the Central Park Zoo will be a BIG hit. You also might try the Carousel in Central Park and when I was there are few days ago there was a "carnival" at Woolman Rink, with kiddie rides.

Also FAO at 59th and 5th and ToysRUS in Times Square (the the HUGE carousel) will also fit the bill.

In central park there are also play grounds that have sprinklers that the kids might like on a hot day or you might head out to Coney Island for a day of fun.

Have a great time.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 07:15 PM

My oldest son could sit through a 2+ hour show at 3 years old if the music was good. He liked ice shows, live Barney shows, movies, and even a live performance of The Nutcracker and the Portland Symphony Orchestra performing John Williams movie music. He went to all of these before he was 6. My twins still struggle to sit still for an hour at 10 years old. If your neice and nephew's mother thinks they would enjoy a show and could sit still for it, you could still consider it.