Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Broadway with 4 Older kids--suggestions, please.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wicked
Spelling Bee
Phantom

???? 21, 20, 17, 14 3 girls/1 boy

Any suggestions?
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 07:42 PM

Over the years, our 23 and 19 y/o daughters have loved Rent (they have seen it 2-3 times), Phantom of the Opera, and Mama Mia (great fun). We have tickets to see Wicked with them soon. Is Movin' Out currently on Broadway (Billy Joel songs/Twyla Tharp choreography)? That's fantastic too.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 08:43 PM

I don't know anything about Spelling Bee or Phantom. But I'd think that Wicked would be a good choice for kids of the ages you mention. I know that my daughter, then 19, went with a male friend, also 19, and his sister, 17, and they all enjoyed it.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 08:48 PM

Barefoot in the Park

** Amanda Peet
** Patrick Wilson
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 03:15 AM

I think they'd all like Wicked if you can get tickets. Phantom is one of those things, you either love it or hate it. It's more like an operetta with no spoken words. It's been playing long enough that they either know the music and like it or they don't. (I think) Spelling Bee is more like an off Broadway show (which is how it started). It has one song titled My Unfortunate Erection, fyi.

So of the 3 you mention, I think it's Wicked, no contest. But hard to get tickets. Other options are Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Hairspray, both often available through broadwaybox.com discount codes.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 06:46 AM

Spelling Bee would be a great choice, and would likely appeal to your entire age range. I've seen it twice, and really enjoyed it- it's hilarious, unique, and has some really fun, catchy songs. It's in a much smaller, more intimate theatre than other Broadway shows, which allows for very creative design and staging choices.

If you're looking for other options, you might also consider Jersey Boys or The Wedding Singer.

Unfortunately, terryr, Movin' Out has closed on Broadway (though you can still see it on tour!)
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 06:48 AM

If you do go for Spelling Bee, your kids might consider entering to be a "guest speller" before the show. A few audience members are chosen to participate, and they are on stage and part of the action for a lot of the first act.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Neopolitan

Since you ask specifically about three musicals, I'd say any of those are good, but I would think Wicked would be the first choice.

I'd ignore a suggestion for a non-musical which got mostly negative reviews as it has absolutely nothing to do with your question.

When are you going? Getting ickets will be the difficult part.

Old Apr 10th, 2006, 08:13 AM

Because Roosters included the "????" and "Any suggestions?" after her list of three older options, I assumed a new, non-musical option might be called for.

And with people ages 21, 20, 17 & 14, Barefoot in the Park is an obvious choice. It's funny, an appropriate story for that age range, and they'll enjoy seeing:

Amanda Peet - Syriana, Melinda & Melinda, The Whole Nine/Ten Yards, Something's Gotta Give, Identity, Igby Goes Down, Saving Silverman, Seinfeld ("Summer of George" episode), etc.

Patrick Wilson - Phantom of the Opera (the movie), The Alamo

Just about anyone can see the musicals when they tour around the nation ad infinitum.

Good luck!
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Neopolitan

"new, non-musical"

HUH? You mean the show that's been done for the past 40 years by every stock, community theatre, and high school in the country? The show that everyone over the age of 20 has probably seen a dozen times, at least if not live than in the almost identical movie version? That "new" non-musical?

Yea, that makes sense as opposed to seeing a major musical that might tour in a lesser production to your home town.

Now I understand.

Old Apr 10th, 2006, 10:34 AM

Not to belabor the all-too-obvious . . .

ages 21, 20, 17 & 14 ...

but while "people of a certain age" prefer the musicals, I'm guessing Roosters' younger crowd would enjoy seeing Hollywood stars in a hilarious play about a young couple getting started in New York City (which is, of course, Barefoot in the Park).

And when the young folks get home, they can netflix the movie "Phantom" and see Patrick Wilson again as Raoul.

Old Apr 10th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Neopolitan

"but while "people of a certain age" prefer the musicals"

Huh? Check out audiences at straight plays and check out audiences at musicals. It doesn't take a genius to find that on Broadway the audiences for plays are far older than those for musicals.

Average age at Wicked? Average age at Barefoot in the Park?

And if that was meant as a personal slam, you're way off -- I see both, but much prefer good straight plays -- not necessarily 40 year old revivals that nearly all the critics said was mediocre, however. But then I go to see the play and the production -- how sexy a lead in the show is, is not my main concern.

And when the kids get home, they can also netflix and see Jane Fonda and Robert Redford in Barefoot in the Park.

Old Apr 10th, 2006, 11:30 AM

Roosters, can you give us a bit more info about your kids? What made you name the musicals you included on your list? Have they seen other shows that they enjoyed?

Also, which age is the boy?
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 12:48 PM

Stick with the musicals for a very simple reason: Part of the New York experience for children is seeing a big, splashing Broadway show...not some dated play that got fair (at best) reviews!
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 01:31 PM

Indeed, "back in the day," that was part of the New York experience. Today, however, in part to touring shows and in part to celebrity mania, part of the experience is seeing your favorite Hollywood stars on the stage.

Did Nicole Kidman start the trend with her "performance" in 1999's The Blue Room?

Now we have Julia Roberts in Richard Greenberg's "Three Days of Rain."
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 02:03 PM
SAB

Spamalot!!!
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 02:36 PM

Yes, definately Spamalot!! This is a no-brainer, can't believe it took so many posts for someone to recommend it.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 02:42 PM

I don't how to break the news to you Gekko:
1. Celebrities were doing star turns on Broadway long before Nicole Kidman made her NY stage debut in 1999.
2. Seeing a big, splashy musical show on Broadway is still very much a part of the New York experience. Otherwise, how do you explain the fact that the majority of theater attendees on Broadway are tourists?
3. The current production of Barefoot in the Park is not the greatest thing since sliced rye! (PS: You omitted mentioning two of Patrick Wilson's best performances--the lead role in The Full Monty and his ensemble role in TV's Angels in America.)
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 02:43 PM

I agree with Howard, see a musical. I actually saw Barefoot in the Park in February with my 16 year old daughter and another 17 year old girl. While we enjoyed it, the experience didn't quite compare to seeing a good musical. The girls liked it, but there wasn't much discussion about it afterwards. The story line in Barefoot in the Park is not in my opinion something that 14-21 year olds can identify with or are particularly interested in. Again, enjoyable but not WOW. I saw Wicked in Chicago in Sept. and highly recommend it. Mamma Mia and Hairspray would also be good choices.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Neopolitan

To anyone recommending a worn out revival like Barefoot in the Park over the big blockbuster musicals -- I'm curious which of those blockbusters musicals they've actually seen to make a comparison?

It's funny that the "in" thing is to see a Broadway play (not a musical) starring a movie star, yet among the long running, biggest grossing hits on Broadway you won't find any of those. I guess we're saying the "in" thing isn't popular? Huh?

For some, yes I'm sure going to the theatre is all about seeing someone famous. In a way that's kind of sad that such a goal takes precedence over seeing a wonderfully written play or musical or equally great performances, but on the other hand I realize that's the only way to get some into the theatre to begin with. And that's a good thing.

Nicole Kidman starting the trend? Huh?
Ever hear of a famous movie star named Lauren Bacall who left Hollywood and starred in Cactus Flower on Broadway and then won Tonys for both Applause and Woman of the Year? Or for that matter ever hear of movie star Raquel Welsh who replaced her in Woman of the Year? Or did you ever hear of film actress Angela Lansbury who got a couple of Academy award nominations before doing Broadway and winning four Tony's there? Should I go on, the list is extensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -