Which direction for circle island tour Oahu?

Old Dec 14th, 2003, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which direction for circle island tour Oahu?

Hello,

We will have a rental car and plan to spend one day on Oahu driving around the island. We are staying at the Waikiki Prince. Should we go counterclockwise to stop early at Hanauma Bay? Or, should we drive up the windward side first? Which way would be easier to avoid fighting traffic.

We plan to stop for lunch at either Kua Aina or the shrimp truck (if we can find it!). We will be there at the end of January so I am not sure if there will be any surfing events on for us to see. Is there a specific beach to head to?

I also had a question about hte snorkelling at Hanauma bay. We have travelled quite extensively and found the best snorkelling in Tahiti. We are often disappointed by the coral in teh Caribbean. How will Hanauma Bay compare? Is there a lot of living coral still there?

Mahalo!

Lisa
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 02:10 PM

We have snorkeled in Tahiti also, and I agree with you. As for Hanauma Bay, I did not think it was that great. I think Maui and the Big Island have much better snorkeling.
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

hi there,

thanks for your response. we are actually going to the BI for a week as well. where would you recommend snorkelling? we were thinking of doing the snorkelling tour on the fairwind II (captain cook monument).

lisa
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 03:41 PM

I'm a bit confused by your question as both going to Hanauma Bay first and going to the windward coast first would be traveling counter-clockwise. However, that is the way I would recommend. I have made the drive many times, many different ways, and I enjoy the views better by traveling up the windward coast. When you enter Haleiwa, you will have a choice of the bypass or thru town; of course pick thru town. And after the town, you'll have to choose between straight to Waialua or left toward Wahiawa, Mililani, and finally Honolulu. You can't travel down the leeward side, so if you go to Waialua and Mokuleia, you'll then have to turn around to go south.

There are two roads south, one from Waialua and the one from Haleiwa. I vote for the one from Haleiwa, and make a stop at the Dole Planation Store and/or the little pineapple patch near Schofield Barracks Army Post. It has several types of pineapples and is pretty interesting.

At Haleiwa you can take the H-2 highway or travel the slower Kam Highway.
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 04:26 PM

We have found the very best place to snorkel on the BI is at the park on Alii Drive in Kona. Park for free, use the bathhouse if you want. Walk into the water and have the best snorkeling anyone could want. You'll see multitudes of fish, eels, turtles, and everything. Friendly fish look for food (or try to steal it if you bring it in a zip lock bag). Go out as far as you are comfortable for clearer water. And it's all for free. You won't be disappointed. Somewhat crowded in close at popular times but not bad.
Old Dec 21st, 2003, 03:09 PM

Go either way. Both give great views.
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 12:00 AM

I think it depends on if you are driving or the passenger. I like the window on my side. Counterclockwise is how we always like to go because you can hit sunset beach or food around evening.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 09:38 AM

Another vote for counterclockwise. I like to be on the ocean side of the road. I also agree that if you've snorkeled extensively, you will find Hanauma Bay disappointing. The shrimp trucks aren't difficult to find, they're right on the side of the road with big signs. The one we stopped at was Giovanni's which is often recommended here but there are a few others too.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 02:37 PM

Oahu: counterclockwise; stop at blowhole and spot for whales.

Big Island snorkeling: Hookena Beach off the main road and Keauhou Bay, easy access, tons of fish.