Reload this Page >

Oahu snorkeling trips

Search

Oahu snorkeling trips

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 12:02 PM
stacey

Oahu snorkeling trips

My sister and I are traveling to Oahu in May. We have visited Maui twice and love taking snorkeling trips. The best trip we have taken was an all day snorkeling cruise to Lanai. We are interested in finding an all day snorkeling trip on Oahu. We love the snorkeling, but also enjoy just being in the sun on the water with the views. Any suggestions??

Thx

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 12:39 PM
joebob

When I was there, I snorkeled in Hanuma (spelling?) bay, it was very nice and convenient to Waikiki.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:29 PM
Quinty

Hunauma Bay is the place to go.
If you are a strong swimmer and very comfortable in the ocean, go out past the reefs.
They advise against it because people find themselves getting tired out there. I didn't get tired at all. I found that snorkeling over such a shallow area *inside* the reef is very hard to do, and murky. Go out past the edge and it drops off to about 20-25 feet. The water is crystal clear and it feels like you're flying! That is where we saw the best fish in all of Hawaii (we've only snorkeled on Oahu and Big Island).
Again, it's great if your're a strong swimmer. I am and had a great time. My husband and his sister had to go back after a short time out there.
It's up to you, but that's where you'll find what you're looking for.
There is also a beach there.
It is very hot out in the sun there though, so bring an umbrella for when you are hanging out on the beach (and I am a former Florida sun worshiper, so do not take this warning lightly)!

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:39 PM
Sarah

I thought I answered this thread. Find a tour that gets you there 7:30. I used the Royal Hawaiian because I was staying there. Did not get there at 7:30 and the crowds were greater.

Easy tour to nail down Stacey and you don't need a guide, don't even need to snorkel to see the fish. You will be amazed.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:48 PM
Postal

On a perfectly flat day, you can also snorkel at the North Shore's Shark Cove. There is also good snorkeling off the foot of Diamond Head. Contact a local dive shop to ask particulars. Rainbow Divers in Wahiawa should have North Shore info, and Aloha Dive in Honolulu should know about the Diamond Head areas. You might also want to consider getting scuba diving certified while you're there.