Reload this Page >

Best mussels in New York City?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 03:53 AM
Carrie

Can anyone steer me toward restaurants that serve really great mussels? I have heard Cafe Florent mentioned as a possibility. I prefer a casual, not terribly expensive place, neighborhood doesn't matter. Thanks for any suggestions?
Carrie

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 05:18 AM
ss

Try zagats.com

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 06:24 AM
lisa

Two suggestions: La Tour on 3rd Ave at 76th street is a great French restaurant that is reasonably priced and they have a $15 all you can eat mussels and frites special every night. They also have reasonably priced wines.

Another idea is one of my favorite restaurants -- Les Halles. They have two locations, one on lower Park Ave (around 28th) and one downtown on Fulton Street (or thereabouts). They have wonderful mussels and frites and a great steak au poivre.

There is also a belgian place in the meatpacking district whose name escapes me -- something of a scene, though.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 07:28 AM
Sue

Funny that the above poster mentions Les Halles as a place for eating mussels, because according to the chef at Les Halles, who is the author of Kitchen Confidental, said you should NEVEr eat mussels in any restaurant unless you personnally know the chef and trust him.....

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 07:32 AM
xxx

Gee, ss thanks for the helpful answer. Funny, but when I look in Zagats there is no listing of places for "best mussels". Will you explain why you would post such a meaningless response?
I suppose if I asked for the best hotel you would tell me to look in the phone book?

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 07:37 AM
Ryan

There is a great Belgian restaurant on 9th Ave. and 14th Street called Markt. They have great mussels and a great selection of Belgian beers. Very casual, not terribly expensive.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 01:31 PM
Eva

Carrie--The best mussels I have ever had can be found at Rue 57 (57th & 6th). It has been at least 6 months since that meal and I still dream about them. Everything else there was quite good also but the mussels were out of this world.
Enjoy!

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 02:03 PM
Lisa

Sue -- I read Kitchen Confidential, too, and thought it was pretty funny that he won't eat mussels in other restaurants unless he knows the chef (and how the mussels were stored). I figure if he's so picky about his mussels they must be good at his restaurant.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 03:15 PM
Ellen

I second Rue 57. Although I love Markt, it is really, really loud. No possibility of conversation.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 04:07 PM
ss

Carrie
you said "thanks for any suggestions." Trying Zagats was my suggestion.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 06:17 PM
xxx

But ss. please tell us how you would use Zagat's to find great mussels? I can't find any way to research it for that. Do you just close your eyes, point at the name of a restuarant and go, hoping that maybe they serve mussels and they will be good, because I can't find any mention of them in my Zagats.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 11:43 PM
SH

Blue water grill- union square

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 04:05 AM
Flynn

Jubilee on East 54th Street between 1st & 2nd Avenue serves delicious mussels.

La Petite Abielle on West 14th St.
Markt across the street from it as other posters have recommended.

Go to Chowhound.com and do a search on mussels. I'm sure you'll find lots of terrific suggestions.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 05:37 AM
tommy

Cafe Bruxelles - Greenwich Ave. in West Village.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 05:50 AM
LHALLSB

pearl oyster bar on cornelia street in the village - cramped, small (only one table - the rest of the seating is at the "bar"), and usually a wait, but my favorite for mussels.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:10 PM
pporpoise

As previously mentioned Jubilee and Markt are especially known for their mussels, also pastis is also quite good. although both Markt and Pastis are a bit of a scene... Jubilee is more of a neighborhood place.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:41 AM
nina

you people are so dumb, first of all it is spelled MUSCLES and everyone knows the best MUSCLES are at Gold's Gym, so many beefy guys with great muscles.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:23 AM
Yum

Cafe Florent is more than a possibility - it would meet your criteria exactly. They serve some of the best mussels I've ever eaten - and I've eaten a lot!

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:31 AM
uhoh

mussels is one of my favorite choices at all kinds of restaurants. I don't have a NYC rec for you, but there's a local chain in DC called Tara Thai that makes about the best mussels I've had anywhere. You might look for a Thai restaurant in NYC and see if they do mussels...They are generally less expensive than French, Belgian or even Italian restaurants. Sorry this isn't specific, but it might jar someone's recollection...

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:42 AM
Michelle

P.S. Re: Zagat (no "s"), you now need to register and pay in order to search through the listing. A better site to search for restaurants (and get users reviews)is www.newyork.citysearch.com

- M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -