Big Island, Maui, Oahu - MUST DO's

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2003, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to the above 3 islands in January. Definitely want to see whales, heard Pacific Whale Foundation is the tour to go with on Maui. My wife can't swim well, can she still go snorkel or snuba?

Please list recs for heli ride on BI. Any other to do's that we should get reservations for? Any must do restaurants? Suggestions much appreciated.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 09:18 AM
JMM

Maui - driving up to the top of Haleakala is a must - the views are amazing.
Re: If your wife goes snorkeling - PLEASE go with a reputable tour and MAKE sure she has a PFC - the Pacific is VERY unforgiving. AND ONLY swim where you see others swimming AND never let her out of your sight when she is in the ocean. This may seem paranoid BUT a friend of ours turned her back on the ocean in Hawaii and got hit by a big wave and nearly drowned when the undertow sucked her out. She was very lucky a stranger realized she was in trouble and came to her assistance. Personally I am a good (not great) swimmer and I was knocked over by a wave - luckily my husband was right there to assist me.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 11:53 AM

There are lost of posts on this topic but here is a little feedback from my recent trip to Maui.

The trip up to Haleakala is good. Take a tour - one of the "see the sunsrise then bike down" deals. We used Mountain Ridders and really liked them. The sunrise is amazing. IT IS COLD UP THERE. Do not wear shorts - wear jeans or long pants and layer your shirts.

We really thought doing a Molikini snorkel trip would be fun, but we spoke to lots of couples who were like," Ehh, go snorkel somewhere else, it's not really worth it." Many people told us they felt the Molokini coral was dead or dying off.

So instead we found great snorkeling right off the beach at the Grand Wailea Resort.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 08:23 PM

Just returned from a big island and oahu trip. I would say for a first time snorkeler it is a good idea to go with a snorkel tour.

My BF is not a great swimmer, and I discovered (after out trip) that he had never been in water so deep that he could not touch ground!

To improve his comfort level before we left I purchased snorkel vests from an on-line snorkel/dive equipment company. The vests were quite inexpensive (less than $20M) and are perfect for a little boost of confidence. You really can't sink and still snorkel with ease.

We took the Fairwinds tour to Kalaekalua Bay on BI and it was beautiful. So many fish and incredible clear water. The tour will provide you with snorkel equip and they also offer waist flotation devices and inner-tubes--even boogie boards with viewers for the timid. The water is very calm and warm and they have about 7 lifeguards keeping an eye on the snorkelers at all times.

We brought our own equipment (including the snorkel vests) because we planned to (and did) a lot of snorkeling on our trip.

Even if you don't do the tour, I would try to plan some snorkeling in the Kona area of the BI--it was so much better than Hanuma Bay in Oahu.

Anyhow, you may want to try one of these tours early on to build confidence before branching out on your own.

Old Oct 29th, 2003, 11:47 AM
LDK

The best guide is Maui Revealed. They also have one for the Big Island. IF you use these guides and follow the "real gems" you cannot go wrong! Unfort. there is not a book out yet for Oahu but in Oahu the things to do are: Pearl Harbor, drive to the north shore!!, snorkel at Hanauma bay. . .beautiful fish, not so good coral. . .but a beautiful beach.
Have fun!
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 12:49 PM
MileKing

Just returned from our 2 week Hawaiian honeymoon (Oahu and Big Island). Here are some thoughts:

On the Big Island, I would say the volcano, a helicopter tour, and a drive up to the visitor center at Mauna Kea for stargazing are must do's. We went with Blue Hawaiian's Circle of Fire Tour out of their Hilo airport location. Very nice trip with great views of numerous waterfalls and the volcanos. The helo tours are less expensive from the Hilo side of the BI. Book 7 days in advance to receive a 10% discount.

Expect to spend a day in Hawaiian Volcanos National Park. Lots to see. At night, you can journey to the end of Chain of Craters Road and possibly see lava. Lately the lava flows have required a 2 mile one-way hike over poor terrain. We passed on that, but were able to see lava glowing in the distance on the mountainside from the end of the road where the park service has spotting scopes set-up.

The trip to Mauna Kea was one of the highlights of our journey. The view of the stars is out of this world. There are tours for around $125/person that go all the way to the top (14,000 ft.), but you can drive yourself to the visitor center (9200 ft.) and take advantage of their free nightly stargazing program that runs from 6-10 PM.

As for restaurants, on the BI the best meal we had (and in my wife's opinion the best meal she has EVER had) was at Merrimans in Waimea. The Kilauea Lodge in Volcano was also excellent. You need to reserve months in advance for Kilauea Lodge dining.

On Oahu, the best meal we had was at John Dominis' restaurant. Make a reservation (window table) for before sunset and enjoy a great view of the surf and Diamondhead in the distance. Food and service both outstanding.

Old Oct 30th, 2003, 11:14 AM

I took the Pacific Whale Foundation snorkle tour to Molokini. The trip was great, saw some whales, but the snorkeling was not so great. The snorkeling on the BI is much better. On the BI try a kayak trip across Keleakuea Bay to the Cpt. Cook monument or go with a snorkel tour to the same place. We kayaked across and saw a pod of dolphins. Or, if you would like to snorkel from shore try Kahalu'u beach. Both are south of Kona and have great snorkelling. I also am not a great swimmer, but I use a "noodle". Pacigic Whale Foundation also provided a "noodle". It's just easier to relax and breath when you are not worried about sinking.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 12:13 PM

THE sight on the BI is the volcano, of course. Other sights include Waipio Valley and Akaka Falls.

We have taken the whale watch tours from Pacific Whale Foundation. We found their instructor to be more knowledgeable than others we've gone on. We actually saw more whales on a Maui Princess cruise. Their ship goes out farther and can get to whale pods quicker than the catamaran used by Pacific Whale Foundation. We always go to Haleakala when we visit Maui. We also like Lahaina and the Maui Myth & Magic Show "Ulalena".

Oahu still has the best beach in the whole world at Waikiki and you can't beat the scenery with Diamond Head in the background. We think the Polynesian Cultural Center is a must-see. Other sights include Pali Lookout, the north shore and Byodo-In Japanese temple.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 05:13 PM

My must DO's for Maui are:
1. Hana Hwy. (Blue Pool was the best!)
2. Sunrise at Haleakala
3. Warren and Annabelles (quite possibly the hardest I have ever laughed)
4. Maui Revealed.....DONT leave home without it
5. Tobis Shave Ice in Kihei (they make em mo betta!)