Snorkeling Advice - Hanauma Bay?

Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snorkeling Advice - Hanauma Bay?

Hi, will be visiting Oahu (Waikiki) and Maui (Kihei) at the end of next month with my husband. I definitely want to devote some time to snorkeling and had carved out time for it while on Maui, but I'm having FOMO about Hanauma Bay, not sure if it's warranted. I've heard mixed reviews about whether or not the reefs at Hanauma are as stunning/alive as they used to be, so I opted to skip it and figured we'd be just as happy going on Maui. Now, we're from Wisconsin and have only been snorkeling a couple times anywhere, so our standards are not super high - I'm sure our socks (flippers? ha!) will be blown off no matter where we go. But if Hanauma Bay is still really all it's cracked up to be, I want to make a point to go. We will for sure at least stop at the beach area on a drive around the island one day, if not snorkeling.

Any other snorkeling advice (beaches/rental options/etc) also welcome. Thank you!
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 01:24 PM

I'd do 'historic' and 'city' things from Waikiki and beach/snorkeling on Maui, where it's less crowded and you don't have to pay or sit through a lecture before you get into the water. (I understand the reasoning for the instructional, but you don't need this.) You can snorkel the Kamaoles and Keawakapu so easily from Kihei -- and drive south to all the other beaches through Wailea and Makena. Plenty of free parking at the Kamaoles. For Keawakapu, there's a gravel lot on the north side of the Day's Inn and another, shaded one on the SE corner of Kihei Road and Kilohana.
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 10:01 AM

You nailed it that the snorkeling will be a wonderful experience anywhere. I tend to agree with the advice above from ChiSue. You'll find your time on Oahu (and Maui for that matter) will go by quickly. Plan, but don't overplan.

When we first started going to Hawaii many years ago, I had never snorkeled. I didn't think I would like it and went along on a trip with my wife because she really wanted to do it.Fast forward many years and I'm a huge fan of it. After we bought a condo on the Big Island, snorkeling became part of our regular activities. Some places are modest, others are wild and wonderful. All are fun.

Hanauma Bay? We enjoyed it and it was a do it once type of thing. It's not too crowded because they control traffic and most people are very eco-aware - either because of the mandatory orientation or because they just care. Either way, it's a pretty good experience. If you have many other things you want to do on Oahu, you'll find impressive snorkeling opportunities on Maui.My only suggestion is that you may want to plan another day snorkeling later in the trip because you'll enjoy it so much.