Snorkeling in Maui - I'm a BEGINNER

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Katie

Hi,
Going to Maui in December. I'm not a strong swimmer and I have never snorkeled before but sure would like to try. What snorkeling sites in Maui would you suggest for a beginner like me?
Thanks.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 03:34 PM
JMM

In all honesty, I would NOT recommend Maui as a good place for a Beginner Snorkeler who is not a strong swimmer.
I am an experienced snorkeler and a fairly good swimmer and I got tossed by a giant wave near one of the area's recommended by many people for snorkeling (the resort area near Lahaina). The only 2 places in Hawaii that I can recommend for a beginning snorkeler who is not a good swimmer are both on Kaui -Lydegate Park and Anini Beach.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 04:25 PM
e

Try Kapalua Bay beach. Very easy in and out and you can see lots of fish within 10 yds of shore. And as snorkeling spots go, its good. Good Luck !!

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 04:46 PM
m&m

I'm not a strong swimmer, but love to snorkel. Rent a snorkel vest when you get there. Looks dorky, but gives plenty of peace of mind.

I snorkeled in Maui both times we've been and had a great time.

Don't worry about what it looks like....chances are, you'll never see those people again. Just have a great time.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 03:31 AM
mbln74a

Hi, I haven't done this on Maui, but I have done it on the Big Island..take a snorkel cruise that offers inner tubes or the vests...that way, you have someone watching you & helping if you need it. Sometimes they even offer glass viewing things if you don't do well with the snorkel. Plus they'll take you to a safe place, such as Molokini, away from waves, etc. I agree that Kapalua Bay is excellent in & out & a pretty good place to snorkel, and if you don't want to do the cruise, it would be my recommendation also. Also Makena Beach at Maui Prince, but you do have to swim out beyond the sound...lots of turtles there tho.
Have a great trip. Aloha, Linda

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 04:59 AM
Bill

I've never been to HI except in summer, so my experiences might be off, but we found very calm water and decent snorkeling in the area in front of the Lahaina Shores hotel, and parking is available in the adjacent 505 Front street shopping area. Some interesting fish and nice coral heads.
The two previous posters had great ideas - rent a snorkel vest, this will give you much more security, and take a MORNING (calmer water) Molokini trip, you will be snorkeling under supervision. The Molokini boats used to provide vests, but now most have you use swim "noodles".
Other suggestions:

Read! Get the Maui Revealed book, pick up a free snorkel guide at Boss Frog's.

Snorkel where many others are also snorkeling, and ask the "regulars" for advise on best areas and any outward currents, etc. Might try Ulua beach, pretty good and you won't be alone.

Have fun!

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 05:17 AM
Katie

I like to thank everyone for their input. I appreciate it.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 03:58 AM
mbln74a

Hi Katie, you are very welcome...have a great time. Aloha, Linda

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 02:39 PM
bluefan

There are plenty of wonderful sites (Molokini, Honolua Bay, Black Rock, La Perouse Bay) for beginners to try in Maui but the best advice of all is to go in the mornings when there's little tradewinds. Otherwise, fighting against waves and sucking up water thru your snorkel will spoil and shorten the experience. Only enter when the ocean is calm. Try a boat or kayak trip so that someone could oversee you. One thing you might try that no one brought up is rent a small boogie board, especially if you're not a good swimmer. It'll prove more fun than a life vest and you can snorkel a lot longer without tiring out. But do wear plenty of sunscreen or a lycra wetsuit to prevent getting burnt.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 06:57 PM
annemarie

Molokini is not always reliable and I have heard that many times the winds are too strong for a snorkel trip. Kapalua is good but only during our summer months May-October or so.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 06:57 PM
CaGal

Katie, when I was in Hawaii several years ago, our hotel gave a little snorkel demo and practice lesson in its swimming pool. Check to see if your hotel offers the same. If not, go ahead and try it on your own in the pool. Once you're comfortable with the equipment and the process in the pool, you can try it in the ocean.

Good luck!