Which DC neighborhood?

Feb 2nd, 2009, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Which DC neighborhood?

I am visiting Dc in 2 weeks with my 2 kids on a whim, we visiting 3 years ago while my youngest was just 3 and know I think he will get so much more out of the trip.

Last visit we stayed at Marriott Metro Center and loved the location, but the price is just not a deal right now and I need a deal!!

I have a res on Embassy Row, but I am nervous that we are only there for a short time and dont want to spend all our time commuting on the Metro to the Museums, Mall area.

Should we consider the convention center area?? Should I stick with what I have - which btw is the Fairfax on Embassy Row - which has very mixed reviews on Tripadvisor.
I am going to try Priceline and have to select between Dupont Circle/Woodly Park, White House DT, and Convention Center/Cap Hill.

I am also sad -when we went up 3 years ago we couldnt get a white house tour and now again b/c I booked 2 weeks in advance there is no chance either - Congresswoman's office told me at least 30 days notice. Does anyone have another suggestion - my boys really want to get in there!!

TIA
Feb 2nd, 2009, 09:07 AM

You won't spend all your time commuting since you are still in DC. That is in a nice location. Go to www.wmata.com and use the trip planner or www.hopstop.com and put in some to and from info to get an idea how long it will take to get where you want to go.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 11:46 AM

These days White House tours are possible only through a Congressmenber's or Senator's office--and as you discovered, you must get your request in well in advance. Have you tried your senators' offices? I suspect that's your only chance. You might ask about waiting lists, too,

What about trying for a tour of the Capitol?
Feb 2nd, 2009, 12:09 PM

I think Embassy Row is a good area to stay. It's right on the metro and has lots of restaurants for dinner. Can't speak to what the hotel itself is like. I have been reading where people get some reallly good rates on Priceline. Someone just posted they got the Marriott u mentioend at about $120.

I'm sure you'll have a great trip.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 01:30 PM

You might also consider taking taxis to save time and energy, as they won't cost that much more than 3 metro fares.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 01:53 PM

The website www.visitthecapitol.gov is for reserved tours of the US Capitol. You do not need reservations to just visit the Visitors Center. Re the White House tour, it used to be that you could line up very early and wait in line to get in on the public tours, as opposed to the reserved/timed tours. But I checked out the White House website www.whitehouse.gov and that is no longer possible (just congressional reservations), obviously for security reasons. Also be sure and check with your two senate offices, and don't be afraid to beg. Explain about the kids, etc. Also, if the staffers are nice, they can check with another office to see if there are any vacancies. Since you are in DC in February, and not for the Cherry Blossom Festival, you might luck out. Also, check back in a few days to see if there are any cancellations.

The Embassy Row neighborhood is fine, and the nearest metro stop is Dupont Circle on the red line. Connect at Metro Center for the line to the mall. Also check out the Foggy Bottom area which is on the blue line with no Metro Center connection needed. There are several hotels there and you can also walk or take the bus into Georgetown.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 02:56 PM

This is funny, but on the screen to the right of this forum just popped up a Marriott ad mentioning Washington Marriott at Metro Center Rooms from $119 on their website. Hope you get it!