Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

1st. trip to Washington DC in Oct. Need help with everything...

Old Jun 1st, 2006, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I just decided to tour our nations capital. I need all the help I can get....
1. Is there a Metro stop at Ronald Reagan Airport?
2. Any hotel or Inn suggestions near a Metro stop in a convenient and "lots of things to do" area.
3. Any "hints" of sights to see and things to do besides the obvious?
We are both in our late 50's, no kids in tow and just want to be tourists.
I never plan a trip without using this site because everyone is so helpful.
Thanks in advance..........

Old Jun 1st, 2006, 02:00 PM

Hi--
1. Yes

2. Jurys Washington - steps from the Metro, right in the middle of restaurants and nightlife.

3. See and do the obvious. There won't be time for anything else.

4. My husband and I are 50 and 41, and we do not have kids either. We just returned from DC and I am in the process of writing my very detailed trip report. See the link on the left under "Washington DC Trip Report 5 days/Mem Day.

Leslie
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 02:04 PM

I stayed at a cheapo hotel last time, but I definitely suggest staying near the Metro and using it a LOT. It's wonderful. I highly suggest taking the monument tour at night from the trolley. It's a ball.
http://www.historictours.com/washington/
I also love Georgetown and could spend a week there. Some nice restaurants along the water; there are also romantic cruises on the Potomac. And yes, you must do "the obvious" lol. Especially the Smithsonian. Don't know why, but one fav exhibit is the First Ladies' dresses. Have a ball, DC is one of my fav cities in the world!
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 02:14 PM

1. Metro stop at National airport is very convenient and easy to use.

2. Go to http://www.stationmasters.com/System...ystem_map.html and click on any of the stops for a map that will show you hotels in relation to the metro. Very helpful.

3. There was a post here this week about out of the normal tourist path things to do which had many good suggestions. Search for that - if I remember, people suggested the National Building Museum, the Phillips Collection and many others.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 03:30 PM
yk

2. I like the Dupont Circle area. It's within walking distance to many, many restaurants. It is a few metro stops from the Mall, but great area to be in at night for meals and other nightlife. We stayed at the Hilton Embassy Row last year (2 blocks from the Metro station) for $75/n, booked via Priceline.

3. Don't know what is "obvious" to you. If you like art, the National Gallery of Art offers free guided tours - we took 2 (1 for East Bldg, 1 for West Bldg) and they were excellent.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 04:56 PM

Depending on how much time you have, the "obvious" things might very well take up all your time. Some lesser known sites include: A pretty walk along the C&O Canal or at the Great Falls of the Potomac. The view from the top of the Old Post Office building is almost as good as from the Wash. monument and less crowded. The National Cathedral and the Fransican Monastery (complete with replica catacombs) are interesting. Congressional Cemetery is the (permanent) home to J.Edgar Hoover, J. Philip Sousa, among others. I guess Mt. Vernon and Ford's theater are obvious, but interesting.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 05:13 PM

Definitely visit the Holocaust Museum - it is intense, but absolutely incredible and should be a required stop for everyone.

For a great walk, start at McPherson Square and walk straight up Massachusetts Avenue. You'll go through Dupont Circle, see Rock Creek Park from above, and see some of DC's neighborhoods. Best of all, you can't get lost! Just keep going straight and hop on the red line whenever you get tired.

Jaleo - Terrific tapas bar - the small plate dishes can be great for the kids since they can try a little bit of everything.
480 7th Street, NW
Full Kee - Great little restaurant located in DC's very small Chinatown. They make the noodles fresh, and you can watch them doing it right in the window.
509 H Street North West
Bistrot Lepic - Small French restaurant in DC's Glover Park. The food is great and it's not as formal or expensive as other good French restaurants in DC.
1736 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Ben's Chili Bowl - quintessential U Street. They sell every kind of unhealthy food you can imagine, and pack the crowds in. 1213 U St. NW
and Galileo of course

Attend a National's Game
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 11:14 PM

Don't miss Ford's Theater.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 03:16 AM

If you have a lot of luggage in tow, it might be better to take a taxi from the airport as it is not a long distance from the airport to the center of town.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 05:09 AM

The last red line stop on Mass. Ave. is at Dupont Circle. While the walk suggested above is a nice one (though I would not start in McPherson Square, I would start at Dupont), you'll not be able to take a metro back.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:29 AM

Right! I meant to write that once you reach Dupont switch over to Connecticut so you can catch the Metro.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 08:52 AM

See my trip report-helpful people-D.C.
We are 55 and 57 and went to Arlington Cemetery (easy with Metro) and Mount Vernon (cab or bus and Metro).We also took a tour of the Capitol and hit the museums. I know these are obvious, but we still enjoyed them. We liked our meal in Georgetown, but I cannot remember its name.We came in at Reagan and took a cab, but it may be a metro stop. I wouldn't want to deal with a lot of luggage as you get on and off, but if you packed light you could handle it.Metro has a website and there are little pamphlets at all locations. I bet you could order one. It is easy to use even for a novice subway traveler. I agree you should get a hotel near Metro!!!
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the info on the Metro map; great site!

If you are going to go museum hopping it's worth checking sites to find out what the exhibits will be when you are there. Some, such as the Phillips Collection, occasionally require advance ticketing.

My favorite spot is the Smithsonian Zoo; I'm a sucker for pandas.

Carol
Editor - Lowfares.com
http://www.lowfares.com
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 02:58 PM

LLindaC, I'm like you w/ the presidental clothing items. I think they are interesting. I've never seen the First Ladies' dresses, but if you like that kind of thing, you can also visit the presidential libraries. I've seen Hillary's wedding gown, Barbara Bushe's mismatched Keds she was know for and many more items belonging to the Reagan's and Nixon family.