Best place to stay for touring DC.

Old May 26th, 2003, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Best place to stay for touring DC.

We plan on touring DC during the week of June 1. We are debating on what area to stay. Stay outside of DC and Metro in every day or stay somewhere closer. Years ago we stayed in the Silver Spr. area and rode the Metro in everyday. In was fine, but a long ride. We thought about staying in the Dupont Circle or Washington Circle areas; realizing these hotels are in the $200-250 range. We would like to stay out of any "bad" neighorhoods. Also, it would be nice if the hotel is within walking distance of a Metro stop.

Any suggestions?
Old May 26th, 2003, 06:52 PM

Just got back from DC. Stayed at Marriott's Residence Inn - Dupont Circle. Three short blocks to metro, great location, lots of good restaurants and a great place to walk around, very safe. Its a very short ride to anything. I'm sure you can get this for around $200.00 or less, very clean.
Old May 27th, 2003, 05:19 AM

Dupont is a much more convenient location for your home base in terms of metro, eating, shopping and interesting walks. There are a bunch of good choices in the $200 range. The most centrally located (2121 P Street NW) is the Radisson Barcelo (read this forum for glowing reviews)

Reservations:
(800) 333-3333
Old May 27th, 2003, 06:33 AM

We've stayed both in DC, (Red Roof Gallery Place, Rad Barcelo) and the outskirts - as far away as Laurel. We enjoyed being in the District, but we still try to balance convenience to cost. We've found that Rosslyn area is a good compromise -- a little ways outside DC, but close enough to return to mid-day should we need to.
Old May 27th, 2003, 01:47 PM

Try using priceline. I live in the DC area but use it to stay in the city for weekends every so often, and have found some really good deals. My favorite was the Melrose, which is on Pennsylvania Avenue in Foggy Bottom, within walking distance to FB metro stop and not far from Georgetown. The doorman is obnoxious and don't buy anything at the bar, but the room was excellent, and we got it for $55 a night (parking was free).
Old May 27th, 2003, 01:53 PM

You should definitely check out Priceline or Hotwire for hotels near Dupont Circle to look for rates under $150. One of my favorite (and very inexpensive) B&Bs in DC is the Kalorama Guest House. There are two locations, but the one on Cathedral Avenue is only two blocks from the Woodley Park metro. The Innkeeper is very friendly and the rooms are charming. Have fun!
Old May 29th, 2003, 10:14 AM

Just returned from d.c. and we stayed at the marriott metro. Area is downtown close to mall, paid $102.00 a night from orbitz web site. The hotel is nice not luxury , did not eat at restaurant-looked ok. Has pool,jacuzzi, nice exercise room ( used exercise only 1 night, haha). The area has several nice restaurants all price ranges and fast food. I never felt unsure of safety but all over washington there are pan handlers. Metro on same corner of hotel. I would stay there again but i would also like to stay in dupont circle area, actually if not for no metro stop George Town is the best place to stay. nick
Old May 29th, 2003, 10:30 AM

I was born & raised in the DC area & worked in various hotels in the Arlington, VA area, right across the Potomac River from DC. Rosslyn, Crystal City (both in Arlington) are in business districts, Metro is within walking distance, relatively safe & has lots of restaurants. These hotels are around $100-$150/night. If you stay in Rosslyn, you can walk across Key Bridge into the Georgetown neighborhood. Alexandria, VA is a little further out (maybe 4 miles) has a Metro station & is very historic. Check out www.funside.com (Alexandria, VA) or www.arlingtonvirginiausa.com.

Hope this helps!

Being a native of the area, I would suggest out of towners to stay in the Northern Virginia area.
Old May 29th, 2003, 11:17 AM

We got the Radisson Barcelo for $99 per night (for 2 people) on their web site and were very pleased. Huge room! Breakfast not worth the $$. Tapas and drinks at their bar were, however.