Search

Which cruise line for the Arch tour...please help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which cruise line for the Arch tour...please help

Hi
I have read somany good things about he Chicago Arch river toru but googling it everyone saysd they are the one. Can someone please tell me which is the best or does it matter.

Please help, thank you so much. I am waiting for your answers.

momof5
Old May 6th, 2007, 01:58 AM

Do you mean the Gateway Arch in St. Louis Missouri?

If you're going to St. Louis it's one of the top tourist attractions, but if you're talking Chicago, it's about a 5 hour drive.
Old May 6th, 2007, 01:04 PM

Perhaps you mean the Chicago architecture tour? I would book with the Chicago Architecture Foundation.
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:44 AM

I really enjoyed our architecture tour with Seadog out of Navy Pier. It's about 75 minutes long and it ends with a fun little speed boat trip back to shore.
Old May 8th, 2007, 02:00 PM

Most people will tell you that you HAVE to take the one with the Chicago Architecture Foundation but unless you are an architect, I thought the 3 I've taken were all fine for the average tourist. I know one of them was Wendella, I think the other was Shoreline. The only downside is that the ones that travel both the Lake and River spend a fair amount of time in the locks between the two. The upside is that you get to see both the Lake and River.

I haven't been on Seadog but from what I understand it's more a speedboat ride than a narrated cruise.

During the week, you can sometimes get the cruises other than the Arch. Foundation 2 for 1, there was a coupon book at the tourism office (expired April) but they probably issued a new one.
Old May 8th, 2007, 04:40 PM

Momof5, I've also been on all the cruises, with the exception of SeaDog.

You are asking which is the best. With all due respect to the previous poster, do go on the Chicago Architecture Foundation's River Cruise. If you are interested in learning about the world class architecture of Chicago - and, really, isn't that why you are going on an architecture cruise, after all? - IMHO, that's the one.

That's also why you will find that the CAF cruise is often sold out when others are offering 2 for 1.

But, if you just wanted to look at the buildings along the river without the narrative, you could take the River Taxi from Navy Pier to Sears Tower, or vice versa with Shoreline.

Hope this information helps a bit!
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:33 PM

The downside to taking the CAF tour is that it is often sold out requiring advance booking. And when it is your day and it's pouring rain, guess what? You're out of luck as they operate rain or shine.

I'm not disagreeing that the CAF is the best tour, I'm just saying for the majority of folks who want to go on an enjoyable cruise and hear about the history of Chicago architecture that any of the cruises are fine. The previous poster makes it sound like the Wendella, Shoreline, etc. don't give adequate narration and I think that they do. CAF just provides more in depth information.

If you are bringing kids along I'm assuming since you are momof5, younger kids might find the CAF tour a little dry.
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:56 PM

I took the Shoreline tour with friends who were in town last summer when the CAF tour was sold out. The guide gave information I knew was wrong. Even when I asked him at the end of the tour, he stuck to his story.

I don't know what sort of training Shorline guides get, but I know the course the CAF gives their guides is top notch.