Chicago cruise question

Search

Chicago cruise question

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago cruise question

If you book one of the architectural cruises ahead of time and it is a miserable rainy day, I assume you're stuck. Can you still see the skyline etc? If you take the chance and get the cruise on a nice day while you're there, is there a possiblity they might be sold out? Thanks.
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:32 PM
JJ5

If you go far enough to see the entire skyline you will need to go through the locks and it will take you some time- up to 2 hours.

Depends on how much you would want to do this. The price will not change. There are various kinds of boats/ships.

As far as availability goes, I don't think I have ever heard of anyone not getting on because they were filled up. If you want a specific time, I would book ahead.

IMHO, and if it were I and a first time Chicago visitor, or even second time- I would skip this and view from any skyscraper. And if I got on a ship/boat it would be for the Chicago Architectural Foundation's River tour.

And for a quicky- you can view the curve of the lake all the way down to 55th St. South (Museum of Sc.& Ind.) if you get to the top floors of the Swissotel that juts out into the lake on a point. It's a couple of long blocks from Michigan Ave. and the river going EAST.
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:38 PM

Although I can't respond to your questions about rainy days and selling out, etc., I will say that the architectural cruises are pretty great. I've taken the CAF cruise twice and really enjoyed it. I'd much rather do that than view the city from the Sears Tower or the Hancock.
Old May 5th, 2005, 06:32 AM

I second (third?) the recommendation of the architectural cruise, I've live in Chicago my whole life and just went on the cruise with a visiting friend for the first time a couple of years ago and found it much more impressive and interesting than the view from the Hancock center (however, the drink we had on the 96th floor was quite nice too). Bring warm clothes if in doubt, it can be chilly out on the lake.
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:02 AM
JJ5

Yes, the RIVER cruise is great. I suggested that too, but I was unclear and not literate enough, I think, and the result may be that the OP may be thinking all cruises are apples, when some are oranges and some are apples.

If you take the CAF cruise you will not be "out" any distance on the lake for any part of it. You will be probing down the Chicago River. There are many, many other types of cruises in differing boats/ships/dining onboard etc. These go through the locks and OUT a distance into Lake Michigan proper. This will take time and you will see the entire skyline but at a distance. And do beware you can get sea sick fast. I have. Not on the CAF cruise.

Sorry, I think I caused a confusion.

You know you can see quite a bit from the top of the Navy Pier ferris wheel as well. Of course, not like out in the lake or from Swissotel, Hancock or any tall building. But those things take much, much less time, and are relatively not all that different, IMHO.

I myself, can see the very distance Chicago skyline from a hill near my former home in a SW suburb on a clear day. People never believed me until I showed them.

Also, if you are not a history buff already- you may want to know something about the unique and colorful history of Chicago- because it is not like the Eastern USA cities for many numbers of reasons.

You can get a USA PBS VHS format series called "Chicago-City of the Century" through many venues and very cheaply. Or rent it /interlibrary loan it. Your Canadian district library system may have it.

Or if you don't want to know all that but still want to get a feel for the world of architects and the "let's try it regardless" style of Chicago trades/ politics etc, "The Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson.