Which Architectural Tour of Chicago?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2004, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going with penpals in 2 weeks. There will be 6 of us ladies, staying at Homewood Suites and planning various activities. I did the Duck Tour with my kids, don't want to do that again, though it was fun. One lady suggested the Sea Dog tour. Any comments or suggestions?
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 05:46 AM

A second for the architectural river cruise given by CAF, it just tours the river though, not Lake Michigan.

www.architecture.org
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 07:03 AM

A "third"? for the Architectural Foundation River Cruise. You get the story on the buildings you can see from the river and then you go through the lock onto the Lake and get a lesson on the skyline.

We had a great guide (who looked kind of like Bill Murray). I would say all the guides are good b/c of the connection to the Foundation. It's a very relaxing time on the water and a very unique way to see Chicago. It was one of the highlights of our trip.

One thing I didn't care for was the time it takes to get through the lock and onto the lake. It's kind of deadtime
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies! Has anyone done both the Sea Dog and this one for comparisons? It seems like the Sea Dof promotes a "more fun" image. What do you think?
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 07:16 AM

I think BigRed is thinking about one of the other Architectural cruises, the one given by the CAF you pick up at Wacker and Michigan and at least the one I went on was a 90 minute river only cruise.

There are cruises that do both the lake and river (I think it is Wendella) and I agree with Big Red that the time in the locks is a waste of time, when we did a different one we were in the locks for at least 10 minutes each way.

Here's a good summary of boat tour options

http://www.chicagotraveler.com/boat_tours