Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where would you go for a seminar? Boston or DC?

May 8th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Hello all,

I am being given a choice to attend a seminar in either DC or Boston. I often travel to DC for work, and think that going to Boston might be a nice change of pace.

The seminar in DC is later this month. The seminar in Boston is in mid-August.
May 8th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, technical difficulties and therefore now cannot edit.

Anyway, what I'm trying to ask is, if you had to attend a seminar in either city, which would you choose? And why?

I don't think I'm articulating my question correctly...but thanks for your help.
May 8th, 2006, 12:08 PM

Well, I've never been to Boston, but I have been to DC 20+ times. It's very east to get around town (using the subway) and there are endless sightseeing possibilities- moat are free!
May 8th, 2006, 12:22 PM

Well when I have the chance to go to conferences in different cities I always pick the city that I've never been to or one that I would never get to on my own. If you've never been to Boston then you should go. It's a great city with lots to do and see and it's also very easy to get around using public transportation. Although you can't go wrong with DC either.
May 8th, 2006, 12:25 PM

i've been to both, and in August i would definitely choose Boston! DC is miserable in the summer...Boston can get pretty hot also, but since you haven't been there I say go for the new experience! It's more of a neighborhood city, and has much better restaurant choices. I agree with the previous poster DC is easy to get around in, and driving in Boston can be a nightmare! But Boston has some great historic sites, Fanueil (spelling?) Hall...and did I mention great restaurants?
May 8th, 2006, 12:26 PM

sorry mcnyc--re-read your post and saw the dc seminar is next month--it should be lovely weather then--but I guess you know that if you've been to dc frequently!
May 8th, 2006, 12:27 PM

I vote Boston, especially if you get to DC a lot.

For me, once you get off the mall in Washington or done Georgetown, there's nothing left to see.

I love Back Bay and Beacon Hill in Boston, just gorgeous neighborhoods and great stores, and you can't beat the North End for great Italian restaurants. Plus, you can walk allover Boston, we usually walk from Back Bay to the North End in summer, no problem.
May 8th, 2006, 12:29 PM

If your seminar takes up your days, then it's your evenings that will be for sightseeing, and there's considerably more to do in Boston than in DC in the evenings, when all the museums shut down and everybody evacuates the city at 5 PM. And I agree that it makes sense to choose the city you're just less familiar with.
May 8th, 2006, 12:30 PM

Hi back,

I vote for Boston since you've never been. You won't be disappointed, either. August will be a great time around the city. Yes, it might be hot, but then again, it might not. Remember, it's right on the ocean. There's lots going on and so much to see. You can take a lunch cruise (byo)around the harbor, take in Fanueil Hall, see the Freedom Trail, get some pasta and a cannoli at a trattoria in the North End (Boston's Little Italy), window shop and eat at an outdoor cafe on Newbury Street, stroll through the public garden and take a swan boat ride, and so much. much more.

Perhaps the best thing, though, is that while Boston is a "big" city, it's small enough that you really can get around by foot as others have suggested. Or you can very easily take the subway (it's very safe) to get anywhere.
May 8th, 2006, 12:53 PM

Been to both & love them both. I'd go to Boston for both the fact you've not visited before, and that it's a lovely small city. I love all the free things in DC, but I don't think of DC as so much historical as just containing historical items or memorializing historic events. Boston, rich in PRE-U.S.A. history has a nicer appeal to it, and that it doesn't "shut down" at the end of the workday, as much of DC does.
May 8th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your super quick replies!

Thanks for the advice. I am taking the seminar in Boston. DC does feel like it dies down after 5:30pm! And since I just found out that I'll be in DC a few more times over the next few months, a trip to Boston would break up the monotony.

Now, to check out what Boston has to offer! I was in Boston just last year, but never have the time to do anything substantial. Besides, I've always wanted to do the Freedom Trail
May 8th, 2006, 05:12 PM

there is plenty of good info on here about Boston, but here's a recent one with some good links to Freedom Trail info, etc you might find interesting - never to early to start planning ! Have a blast in our wonderful city (I'm partial)...

http://tinyurl.com/j28wt
May 8th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Escargot: thanks for the link! I will definitely check out your great town! I'll steer clear of Fenway, as I'm sure you can figure out who my fav baseball team is

Now to look for gov't rate hotels!
May 9th, 2006, 06:11 AM

mcnyc,

My son is dying to go to Fenway dressed in full Yankee regalia.....I don't think I want to go with him.
May 9th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Oh Nina! Your son is one brave man, especially in Red Sox country!

Thankfully, I'll be in full business attire, I can blend in with the masses without giving up my loyalties!