Where to stay in New York?

Old Apr 14th, 2014, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in New York?

Hi We're visiting New York from Australia for the first time in June 2014 and we need advice as to where to stay. We love history so important sites and museums would be things we'd like to see and we also love food and would like to try out what's on offer in New York. Should we add a Broadway show to our wishlist? What would be the best and safest areas for us to stay and should we stay in a hotel or apartment?We'll be staying from 7 to 14 days - haven't decided yet. Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 04:27 AM

Short term apartment rentals are almost all ILLEGAL in NYC, so don't do that.

There are legal apartment style hotels if you prefer more space and a kitchen--a few are the Beacon, Radio City Apartments, and the Affinia properties, but there are others. as well.

As long as you're in Manhattan near a subway stop, it will be easy for you to get around.

A Broadway (or off-Broadway_ show is definitely a highlight for me.
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 05:15 AM

If you are staying this long, I'd look for a suite-style room with a kitchenette so you can make the occasional meal or at least breakfast. A few hotels offer discounts if you book by the week (though they are not huge). And you generally need to call rather than book online to get these. The Affinia properties might have something, and many of their rooms are apartmentlike suites.

Staybridge Suites rooms don't have real kitchens, just microwaves and refrigerators, but that's something, and the rooms a bit bigger than the usual.

Though sometimes wildly expensive, Residence Inn rooms have kitchenettes and even include free breakfast. It's worth checking to see if these are in your budget.

As abram says, short-term apartment rentals are almost universally illegal in NYC, so I'd urge you not to go that route even though a lot of people do. There are a LOT of scams on Craigslist, so definitely avoid that. I don't approve of AirBnB, but that site and VRBO have the most legitimate (albeit illegal) listings.

You've been given the best suggestions.
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 08:00 AM

Great ideas on hotels and I would stay N of 14th and S of Central Park. The financial district S of 14 is quiet at night though the East side has some good activity. Chelsea, Mid Town and East of Times square are all easy to walk and access subway/buses. In June, you should have great weather so consider renting a bike and riding aroudn Central park, and also explore Brooklyn!
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 08:01 AM

Oh and I would add, yes! See a broadway show. So many to choose from, I loved Wicked and Jersey Boys but lots of diff. content. Also if you have 14 days you may want to consider NY for a week and then train to DC, Philly or Boston for another 4-5 days. Lots to do and see. Sorry I dont' know much about the specific museums.
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 08:31 AM

Smtg55

One of the most important parts of NYC is immigration. And while the Tenement Museum has interesting tours, it just touches what immigration has meant to NYC.

There are over 475 languages spoken in NYC, one reason is the UN, but another is immigration. In the borough of Queens alone there are 175 languages and linguists are studying dying languages there because of the access of the people.

You find this of interest.
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 09:30 AM

If I were staying that long I would do a residential area like the upper west side. Right next to Central park and near may of the major museums, but just 2 subway stops from Times Square.
Definitely look at getting a room with kitchen at the Beacon - so you can do breakfasts and perhaps some dinners if you want. Zabars, and incredible gourmet shop, is nearby and they have prepared hot and cold foods for dinner or picnic in the park.

The area is mid/upscale residential and the avenues have inexpensive to moderate restaurants of almost every ethnicity.
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 09:31 AM

If I were staying that long I would do a residential area like the upper west side. Right next to Central park and near may of the major museums, but just 2 subway stops from Times Square.
Definitely look at getting a room with kitchen at the Beacon - so you can do breakfasts and perhaps some dinners if you want. Zabars, an incredible gourmet shop, is nearby and they have prepared hot and cold foods for dinner or picnic in the park.

The area is mid/upscale residential and the avenues are lined with inexpensive to moderate restaurants of almost every ethnicity.
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 09:33 AM

Definitely look at getting a room with kitchen at the Beacon - so you can do breakfasts and perhaps some dinners if you want. Zabars, an incredible gourmet shop, is nearby and they have prepared hot and cold foods for dinner or picnic in the park.

The area is mid/upscale residential and the avenues are lined with inexpensive to moderate restaurants of almost every ethnicity.
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 09:33 AM

Sorry - submit was not working - then got 3 at once.
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 12:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your advice which is greatly appreciated. I didn't know short term rentals were illegal as I've been looking at ones listed on onefinestay.com. We thought we'd do Washington etc during a future trip but would be grateful to know how long we should plan to stay in New York? Our return flight isn't booked yet so the length of our stay is flexible. We're with a group for 2 weeks before we get to New York but then we're on our own.Thanks again for taking the time to reply
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 01:47 AM

We stayed for a week. I wanted to stay for much longer. There is so much to see. Just walking around the streets is amazing.

Stayed at the Beacon mentioned above. We ate out at every meal because the meals we found reasonably priced and basically we loved the city so much we didn't want waste a moment sitting in our room eating when we could be people watching. There is however a great market across the road with premade meals you could eat back in the room if you wanted. Café next door great for cooked breakfasts before heading out for the day. Just remember entrée on the menu over there is the same as our main meal. Appetizers are our entrée size.
Do get to a Broadway show. Its fun. When ours finished we came across the secret service in the street because the President had just arrived for the night at the hotel next door. When we could move again Ricky Martin was just coming out from his performance of Evita. Exciting for a couple of aussies from the country.

I would book soon wherever you stay. You will have a ball.
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 02:18 AM

The experts can help you with suggestions if you can give your exact dates and how much you are prepared to pay.
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 04:04 AM

As you are history buffs, I'm going to suggest that you consider staying in Lower Manhattan/Financial District, where I live. It's the oldest part of the city and while its combination of narrow, twisty streets and high rise office towers isn't for everyone, it is an interesting area. Also, almost all of the subway lines converge down here, so you're usually only a couple of blocks (at most) from the various lines - making it easy to get around. You're surrounded by water on three sides, which can cool things down a bit, and the waterfront walkways have been spruced up and are nice to walk on. Hotel rates are sometimes lower than in more popular parts of the city and there are some new hotels that have gone up in the past few years. (There's a Best Western by the Seaport, a Hampton Inn, a Doubletree I think, and a number of others.)

If you are staying for as long as two weeks, you also might consider staying in two very different locations, in order to get a taste of two different neighbourhoods. The hassle of moving is counterbalanced by the opportunity to live (for a week) in two different parts of the city - e.g., downtown and Upper West side.

The two other bits of advice I'd offer are: (1) it's pretty easy to navigate most of Manhattan by public transit, except for locations n the far east and far west sides of the city above downtown (check the map before booking); and (2) check carefully for bedbug reports before booking - there are a number of mid-high range hotels (even chain hotels like Hiltons) that have had persistent bedbug problems.