Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Travelling to New York for my 50th - help & suggestions please.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if anyone can help me please.
I will be 50 next December and have always wanted to go to New York. So DH has given the ok. I know it is a year away, but I am looking at some hotels sites and am dumfounded to see things are already booked out.
We are planning to be In NY from the 12th - 22nd of December.
So my problem is this:
1) how do I accomodate the 5 of us: my DH, DD and her boyfriend and son. (17, 22 & 22)
not sure if to do hotel suite, adjoining rooms or B & B.
Is 10 days too long for NY or is 7 nights better.
2) the area to stay in. never been to NY before but thinking of Greenwich Village or Upper East side??? or maybe SOHO
3) We have never been to the US so this may be a great opportunity to see other things.
What would members recommend?

I know that it is still far away, but I am surprised how things get so booked out. Any help for a first time visitor from Australia would be really appreciated.
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 09:20 PM

I would be surprised if most of what you might want wouldn't still be available for next Christmas.

There are some hotels that are of the "all suite" variety, that have a kitchenette and family rooms. You might want to start checking on tripadvisor.com to see the type of things that might work for you and some round figures on prices. I know at least one Fodorite has rented an apartment in NYC, and that might work for you.

I think you can stay anywhere in the city and enjoy yourselves, but there are many more hotels in midtown than in Greenwich Village or even the UES. Maybe get a subway map and pick a location that is good for various trains. There are some links here on the US board for New York transit. Also, what neighborhood you pick might depend on the sort of atmosphere you like.

10 days might be a little long to stay in a very busy very large and fairly crowded city. I would guess that a week might be more comfortable.

I would add Washington DC to your trip. Easy to get to from NYC, extremely interesting and fun.

Lots of people here will help I'm sure. I just answered to sort of get the ball rolling. I don't live in NY, but my family does and we have visited a few times a year for about 30 years.
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 10:11 PM

Hi millie2112,

We were also first timers from Australia this year (Oct.)Trip Advisor is an excellent site for reviews of accommodation and ideas. We stayed in midtown - specifically Murray Hill - and found it very convenient to walk to Grand Central every day, from where you can go almost anywhere. We stayed 7 nights and although we were on the go every day there were still areas that we didn't visit at all and wish we had, but couldn't fit in. However, I also second the idea of going to Washington DC to see the monuments. We booked from home on the Amtrak site and got specials of $49 one way and the train was a great way to see more of the country.We did an evening Monuments by Moonlight tour and then caught the Hop on Hop off bus the next day to revisit specific monuments and some museums, which were brilliant.
The main difference you might experience in NYC could be the weather. We had beautiful walking weather and I'm not sure what it is like now. My trip report might help you see the sorts of things you can do. Can't think of a better way to spend your 50th birthday and I hope you have a sensational time!
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 05:35 AM

If you have never been in the US before you may not want to spend all 10 days in NYC. You could easily split between NYC and DC - which has a host of things to see/do and is only a few hours away be train.

For 5 people you will have to rent either a suite or 2 rooms (fire laws don;t allow more than 4 per room). And yes, prices will be high, that is our most expensive time of year (DC will be cheaper).

For NYC midtown (traditional) you might check out Radio City Apartments (really a hotel) or the affinia group, which has a host of suite options and is well regarded in the moderate category.

I would not stay on the upper east side - transit options are limited as are hotels except for some ultra luxury ones. The upper west side has many more choices as well as much better transit options.

Greenwich Village has few hotels - but there are more springing up in Chelsea and SoHo which are trendier areas. Not sure who there has suite options so it may need to be 2 rooms. The trendy ones are usually big $, but there are some more modest ones as well.

Finally be sure you're prepared for the weather. We have real winters, and while lheavy snow is unlikely then it is certainly possible. You can plan on it being chilly to really cold, damp and windy (we've already had wind chills of 5 to 10 degrees (farenheit - not centigrade). So, you will need warm coats, hats, gloves, scarves and shoes or booties that are waterproofed, preferably with non-skid soles.
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 07:19 AM

I strongly doubt any place is booked this far in advance. More likely reason for not finding availability is either you're searching for a room/suite for 5 and most hotels don't offer that OR...MANY hotels won't take a booking more than 12 months in advance on their computers and your end date is more than a year away. I'd bet the latter is likely the problem.

1) You can book a 2 bedroom hotel suite but one of your group will wind up sleeping on a sofabed if the 2 couples want privacy. In other words, there are no 3 bedroom hotel suites (unless with connecting rooms which could get very expensive). The Eastgate Tower (affinia.com) offers the least expensive option for 2 bedroom 2 bath suites with the most space. Radio City Apartments and Best Western Hospitality also have 2 bedroom suites but those only have 1 bathroom and not sure Radio City will allow 5. The Beaconhotel.com is a lovely suite hotel on the upper west side and I think they have ONE 2 bedroom suite but you'd have to phone about it.

While vacation apartment rentals are in general NOT A GOOD IDEA in NYC for a whole host of reasons, here's a link to a larger apartment that I know exists and is an option for you if you want more space and to all stay together. http://www.vrbo.com/115235

If staying all together is not imperative (and maybe a bit too much togetherness), consider getting 2 hotel rooms or 2 suites. All the Affinia.com hotels offer studio & 1 bedroom suites. It might be cheaper to get a studio and a 1 bedroom than a 2 bedroom.

There are some smaller b & b's with apartment type accomodation but I'm not sure there'd be a benefit for you. They're not usually cheaper than a regular hotel and many don't offer daily maid service. What you might get is a bit more charm. You can have a look at 1871house.com west-eleventh.com (although not sure they have any for 3 people) abingdonguesthouse.com

I don't think 10 days is too long for NYC, but you could either do a few day trips (ie. Philadelphia is an easy day trip) or spend 5-7 days in NYC and the balance elsewhere.

2) There is no one best area for everyone. Some of this decision will depend on what KIND of accomodation you decide on and some of it will be determined by budget. Not all types of accomodation are available in all areas. For example, there are very few hotels in Greenwich Village but 2 of the b & b's I listed (West Eleventh and Abingdon) are in the village. There are no suite hotels in this area (at least not ones I'd recommend). The large apartment I linked from vrbo is on the upper east side. The Affinia Gardens suite hotel is also in that area but closer to midtown. The b & b 1871 House is also in that area. The upper west side is an area a lot of people like and there are more hotel and suite hotel options there. In addition to the Beacon that I mentioned above, the milburnhotel.com is suites and the Excelsior and the Lucerne also offer some suites.

There are no good suite hotels in Soho (imo) but if you decide you'd like to stay there, there are certainly hotels from upscale/trendy to a few new chain hotels like Hampton Inn Soho and Four Points Sheraton Soho. The Best Western Bowery Hanbee is on the edge of Soho and the lower east side and has good sized rooms, free cont. b/f and is often well priced.

In order to best help you on location, I think we'd need to know budget and taste.

3) This is a broad question. Where are you from and what are your interests?
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Original Poster

thank you very much everyone.
I know it is ages away but i am already so very excited. this is because my DH has always said no to a New York trip and I have wanted to go for so long.
It makes it even more special having my whole family with me.
I love art galleries and museums. My children love shopping. And while there we would really love to see all the sites.
Coming from Melbourne Australia, I am a bit concerned about the weather. We do not experience such cold weather. The coldest we get during the day in Melbourne is about 50 degrees Farenheit or 10 degrees celcius.

But nevertheless I cannot wait.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 01:04 AM

I agree with people saying 10 days only for NYC is a bit too long. If you get bored you can just rent a car and take a road trip. You can find scenic places and views not so far from the city e.g. Hudson Valley.
For renting a car i can suggest Decode Car hire http://www.decodecarhire.co.uk/car-h.../new-york.html I have book with them and found they have good prices for New York.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 02:00 AM

Hi Millie 2112,
We were in New York for Christmas and found the weather to be cool but sunny and fine. We were in LA ( Lake Arrowhead ) the same time last year and had lots of snow. There was even snow near Las Vegas.
I would recommend dressing in layers for this type of weather.
We are also from Melbourne and were prepared for the weather. Make sure you have warm clothes, footwear, scarf and gloves.
We stayed at a Sheraton which was within walking distance to Times Square. You will have a great time in the US. Perhaps the most difficult thing to get used to is the tipping system. You will be able to visit many galleries, museums and with the rising dollar, lots of good shopping. I think 10 days in New York is too much.
Are you going anywhere else?
We are also planning a trip to the US and Canada in August.
The long flight will be worth it when you arrive.
Donna
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 11:17 AM

By way of background, I grew up in NY and visit often. I agree with those who suggest splitting your stay into two locations at least (I would want at least 5 full days in NY, and at least 3 full days in either Washington or Boston, The extra days you can divide up how you like, and include transit days). Boston is another wonderful choice.Lovely city, with great sightseeing. You could take public transportation to either Boston or Washington. If you're comfortable renting a car, there are so many other places you could go, but weather might be a factor outside the city.