Where to stay in Maiu?

Search

Where to stay in Maiu?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2004, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Maiu?

I'm at an impasse in my trip planning. We are a53 yo male/female couple who plan a trip in July of O5 for 4-5 nights. Would like to do 1) Old Lahaina Luau, 2) Warren and Annabelle Show, 3)Sunrise bike ride from Haleakela, 4) Snorkel the nicest South Maui Beaches, Ulla and Hamoa? and, if enough time, do Hana, spending 1 night there. (Although, I'm afrain this might have to wait for a 2nd trip). We really prefer to stay in an inexpensive, hopefully beachfront cottage over a resort. Will consider a condo. Need two beds or a sofa sleper. A resort would be considered, but expect them to be more than the $125-160ish price (or less) we'd like. Hope for AC. The question is twofold: 1) considering the activites we'd like to do, where is the best locale to stay? (Kilhei is elimainated from consideration based on reading s from Fodors.) Napili, Wailea sound most appealing. I'm afraid if we stay in Wailea, driving to and from luau/W&A show would be inconvenient? and reverse problem for snorkeling if stay in Napaili. 2) What's a good cottage in Hana? (Near and Beach view). Thanks so much! OSB.
Old Dec 31st, 2004, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Oops! Maui!! Not Maiu! OSB.
Old Dec 31st, 2004, 06:27 PM

On our past 2 trips to Maui in 2002 and 2004, we split our time between Napili and Wailea but we had 7-10 days on the island. It worked out really well to divide our time. This fall we stayed in a beachfront unit at the Napili Sunset, but they do have gardenview studios for $99 (www.napilisunset.com). We stayed at the Napili Surf in 2002, but prefer the location of the Sunset. The second half of our trip we stayed at the Grand Champions Villas in Wailea. The location is excellent, all of the Wailea beaches are just a few minutes drive. Grand Champions Villas are give a solid gold value by Maui Revealed. This is the unit we rented and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. http://home.earthlink.net/~mtossy/maui/
Old Dec 31st, 2004, 08:04 PM

OSB,

Take a look at this place. Have not stayed here, but it's been a vacation rental for many years.
http://www.mywaii.com/

-Bill
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 08:05 AM
KVR

We did a vacation package at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. It included a partial ocean view room, rental car for the week, daily breakfast, 1 complimentary meal in their restuarant, a $50 gift certificate to the Old Plantation Inn and 2 tours. We choose the whale watching cruise and tickets to the Maui Ocean Center. For what we recieved it was the best inexpensive deal we could find.

We loved the location, about 3 minutes to Lahaina and Front Street where all the tours and shops are located. We used the car a lot to see all parts of the Island.

We went to Warren and Annabelle and had a great time. We choose the food/drink option before the show and enjoyed it. We did not care for the Old Lahaina Luau. The food was terrile, and I'm not a picky eater. The show boring + we got rained out and wasn't able to stay to the end. Looking back now, we would have preferred the Royal Lahaina Luau. We did a guided tour for the Road to Hana and enjoyed it.

We have pics of the hotel on our web-site:

http://community.webshots.com/user/kvrlvn

Their web-site is: http://www.kbhmaui.com
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 09:37 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My family stayed at Lahaina Shores, a condo/hotel. Located at the lower end of Front Street right in Lahaina. We didn't do as much as you have in mind, but several things the same (the laua and the volcano but not at sunrise).
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 11:03 AM

We stayed in the most wonderful condo in Maui - just north of Lahaina. It is called the Hale Kai and it only have 40 or so units. The staff was friendly and the price was very reasonable. There is a salt water pool and you're right up against the ocean. We couldn't have been happier. You'll be there in time to watch the whales - that's my dream for another trip.

I want to recommend the most fantastic spot for snorkeling: Honolua Bay in Maui. It is north of Lahaina and is a marine preserve so there are lots of fish who are not too worried about people. We saw turtles, eels, and even squid/octopi (I don't know the difference). It is a cove so there was not a strong current when we were there (June 2004). My guidebook says the snorkeling is best in the morning and calm spring, summer, & fall. The snorkeling was easy enough for my children, as well as my 60-ish mother and in-laws. My family all agreed that it was like being in a National Geographic special. Take hwy 30 north of Lahaina past D.T. Fleming Beach Park. You'll see a Mokuleia-Honolua Marine Reserve sign near a parking area. Go past this just a little ways and watch for a tiny dirt side road on the left. There will probably be other cars parked there. Park by the road and take the trail/dirt road in. The trail is an easy walk and absolutely lovely. The Snorkel Bob shops may even have a free print out map. We felt so pleased with ourselves for droving there and walked in for free when we saw one of those snorkel tour catamarans.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 11:03 AM

We spent 2 weeks in Maui in Oct/Nov and had a wonderful time. Our condo in the Kaanapali Beach area couldn't have been better -- quiet, lovely, no crowds. (El Dorado Resort) They have large units with sofa beds and full kitchens. We had breakfast at Napili Beach several times - a 10 min. drive -- it's easy to get almost anywhere from Kaanapali. You MUST do Old Lahaina Luau: the grounds are beautiful, the show is colorful and the food was fresh and delicious. A memorable evening. Just be sure to watch the weather reports and change your reservations if rain is expected. Most travel books won't steer you wrong -- go with their advice. They also have many suggestions for cottages in the Hana area. Have a great trip.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 11:47 AM

We were in Maui last May for a week. We are about the same age as you. As always, we were on a budget - stayed at Valley Isle condos in Kahana area, north of Kaanapali - about twenty minutes or so from Lahaina. We only paid $100 and it was much nicer than we had anticipated. We had a one bedroom (queen bed) with sofa sleeper in living room which not that uncomfortable. No ac but we really did not need it. we had a wonderful ocean view - the condo was decorated nicely and very clean. There was a nice pool never crowded. Pool was not oceanfront which I would have preferred. There is a beach in front of condo. We did the road to Hana and back in one day and did not find it too exhausting. We took complete circle around island without a four wheel drive - it can be done. We preferred that part of Maui to Kihei definitely. Have fun!

Pam
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 01:35 PM

We went to Maui last June and stayed in Kihei and Kaanapali (Sheraton). While we loved Kaanapali, hands down we prefered our condo in Kihei! We also weren't considering Kihei but are glad we did.

We stayed at a condo called Kihei Surfside (and booked through www.mauicondo.com who were wonderful). This condo was absolutely amazing, with the most wonderful views (you're literally 20 feet from the ocean on the side we were on).

We decided to also stay at the Sheraton (one week for each place), to change locations and also stay in a resort (no cooking/more services). In the end, I prefered the condo, it was more intimate and relaxing, but it was nice to do both. We loved the Sheraton and the Surfside, and Kihei was a nice fun area with lots of beautiful beaches and local hangouts/restaurants that we loved.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 01:37 PM

Forgot to mention that we paid about $140/night for the condo (it was worth more), and about $250 night for the Sheraton and are in our 20's.

Also, book the Old Lahaina Luau now so you get the best seats...this was also a highlight of our trip!
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the information! It's been helpful in my decision to stay in West Maui.
anna k: I think I want something closer
to the ocean this time.

iamq: That's alittle out of our price
range.

KVR: Yes, tempting....! And Maybe!

suze: I've heard negatives about
staying in Lahaina. Did you
experience any? I think I'd like
it.

ajcolorado: This place didn't get a good review in Maui Revealed.

TammyW: I'd like something closer to
the beach.

Thanks Pam and Celine for your input as well! I did check out all your advice and think as well as some older posts. Will let you know when the reservations are actually finalized, what we decided!OSB.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 06:08 PM

" This place didn't get a good review in Maui Revealed."

Do keep in mind that Maui Revealed is simply one book written by two people who are only giving their opinions. I'm not sure what would make their opinion of one property more valid than ajcolorado's opinion, other than they paid for the paper on which to print their opinion. There is no scientific rating system they use, nor do they tabulate input from other people to arrive at their recommendations and pans. If you also look to other sources, such as tripadvisor and the recommendations you get from others here, you might just find a "gem" of your own that you may otherwise be missing.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

That is exactly what I am doing. I compare info here (invaluable!) to what I've read elsewhere and find "common threads". I'm sorry that the authors of the Revealed books seem to have gotten on your last nerve. I do also weigh their info with common sense, (which is what they repeatedly advise as well)...and I'd like to think I have alittle. OSB.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 08:45 PM

For the past two summers we have stayed at the Maui Kai, north of Kaanapali. It is on the ocean, every room has an oceanfront view. We selected the one bedroom, corner view so we had views from two sides. We have never been disappointed! Please consider.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 12:21 AM

OSB:
You've gotten a distorted picture of Kihei. South Kihei is wonderful, and is so described by the authors of Maui Revealed. Four of its beaches, the Kams and Keawakapu, are first rate, and offer great snorkeling. Kihei also has numerous good shops, restaurants and clubs and predictably dry weather. There are no "cottages" in Wailea, a community planned [beautifully] to the last plumeria, though you might find a very nice off water condo in your price range. Kihei/Wailea is 45 minutes or so from Lahaina, though the drive is very pretty by day and memorable at night, especially the stretch perched above the water. South Maui is closer to the Haleakala summit.
Hamoa Beach, one of the island's best, is in Hana and is not particularly good for snorkeling. Lahaina has its kitschy charm, though no beaches of which to speak. Napili is a beautiful bay whose beach is developed on every available square centimeter. The snorkeling there can be very good.
Doubtless you know that Here Today is a resident of South Maui. While that alone may not imbue her w/ superior wisdom, she knows the island. Finally, while there are isolated loud voices that disparage Old Lahaina Luau, the vast majority of reviews [including my family's] are resoundingly favorable. While it is pricey (as are the others), the show is memorable. Just don't go expecting haute cuisine.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Well, carbogillian, I will conside. It does appear in our price range, is on the beach and apparently not too far from our night time activities listed above!

Lex1: I really would love to find an accomodation in the area you speak. Did look at South Kihei. But the night activites we wish to do draws me back up to West Maui. Thanks!OSB.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:21 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
belle~ To answer your question above about Lahaina:

I LOVED staying in Lahaina! I'm guessing the negatives are that people say it is "too touristy"? Or is there something else wrong?

Surely it is a bit honky-tonk but I don't mind that in a vacation. I'm not looking for pristine wilderness & since I'm single and was traveling with an all adults family, it gave us all lots of different things to easily do on foot, either as a group or on our own.

I'd definitely plan to go back again sometime, probably traveling solo.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

My apologies to carbogilligan for mutilating the name earlier...was in a rush...someone waiting ...and of course mispelled concede as well.

suze: I think what I've read has been it's too congested and the beaches aren't the most pristine. I agree with you though, some of us wouldn't mind that in order to be close to some good activites! I guess MY problem is wanting to experience it all in one trip...which I know I can't do!
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Carbo: We have reservations at Maui Kai per your instructions! Got the corner view also!! Thanks for the advice! OSB.