Aston Maui Lu? Who's stayed there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can get this hotel for a very good price for a well deserved April vacation for me and my girlfriend,I checked out the hotel photos and it looks fine,but anybody can make a photo look good.Since we like to explore/shop we only really want and need Hampton Inn like quality,a clean ,neat place with cable TV.(I have to follow the ATL Braves,you know!)
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 03:30 PM

this hotel (more of a motel) is located on a great piece of land and is very reasonable. BUT, the hotel itself is very run-down. For the last two years, I've heard that they'll be tearing it down to make for condo properties. If you look on www.tripadvisor.com, you'll see the reviews aren't very good.

There are definately better places to stay for not much more money.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 10:19 PM

This is what Maui Revealed says about it:

This is a hard one to review. In some ways it's everything a Maui resort should be--very gentle, very Hawaiian feel, but it looks unloved. The 28 acre grounds are sprawling, and the overall old Hawaiian atmosphere is relaxing. On the other hand, it's clearly a resort in decline, its best days seemingly past, especially on the inside. At press time it was for sale and some contemplated tearing it down to make timeshares. It started in the 50s as a personal house and then many cottages for the owner's friends. Today it's half a dozen old buildings with somewhat dreary and basic rooms. Though three buildings are oceanfront, only the orientation of building 400 takes advantage of its location. The Maui-shaped swimming pool has oddly sloping sides making it awkward to enter and exit.

And here's an aerial photo if you haven't seen one: http://wizardpub.com/maui/mrmauilu.html

love
roxy
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 08:41 AM

If you can get one of the cottages located on the beach, then I would recommend staying at the Maui Lu. We stayed there on our first trip to Maui in 1992 and it was quite run-down; at that time we used our Entertainment Book and paid $40 a night for a regular hotel room. For that price we had no complaints for a basic room with cable television, a small refrigerator, and a coffee maker; the bathroom was a little run down.

The next year we stayed and told them that it was my birthday (it really was) and we were upgraded to a cottage on the beach (across Kihei Road); it was really nice (much newer) with high ceilings and amazing views.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

I'll keep all you-guys/gals tips in mind,I know I should check out bidding for travel.com,too.....