Reload this Page >

Where to stay in LA?

Search

Where to stay in LA?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 04:36 AM
Wendy

Where to stay in LA?

My husband, baby and I will be spending 6 nights in LA (2 lots of 3, with 4 days in Nevada) in June 2003. We are planning to have 3 days in Beverley Hills but aren't sure where to go for the other three nights. We've done Disneyland & Universal before, and couldn't do them again with the baby anyway, so don't fancy Anaheim. We are thinking about Santa Monica or Marina del Ray to be close to the beach. Does this sound like a good plan? Is there anywhere else with an hour's drive of LAX that might provide a more interesting experience?

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 04:58 AM
xxx

I would definitely do the Beverly Hills stay. One slight variation is you could stay in Westwood which is less than 10 minutes from Beverly Hills. We stay at the W Hotel there as it is all suites and has a great pool area. It's a "scene" like all W's, but good service and you don't need to partake in the lobby bar scene is you choose not to.

I think Santa Monica would be a good beach choice. I'm not a huge fan of the Promenade (too ticky tacky), but there are a couple good shops there....Fred Segal and a furniture store near Fred Segal that I can't remember the name.

One other idea is Santa Barbara (about 90 minutes from LA). I've never made it there, but supposedly a great little laid back town with some shops and wineries. Enjoy!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Renee

Beverly Hills is only 20 minutes from Santa Monica. For a change of scene, maybe consider Laguna - it is beautiful and different from the westside experience. Santa barbara is also a great idea but is 90 minutes away only at very off-hours. Otherwise I'd give a good 2 hours.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 01:08 PM
michele

I like the Laguna idea, too. Good town to wander around, shop, stroll the beach.. a bit more than an hour, but not much. As Renee pointed out-both Santa Monica and Marina del Rey are very close to BH--not a big change. Don't like the Third Street Promendade, either, xxx. same reason

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 01:33 PM
JVS

Im with the Santa Barbara suggestion- If you want the most relaxing laid back and beautiful time of your life - Santa Barb is your place. I lived in LA and can say this with authority.
Otherwise, if you must stay in LA- Go to "The Standard" ot the "W" hotel- both on Sunset Blvd in W.Hollywood. Or go all out and stay at the Beverly Hills Hotel. Also, Lagun abeach is beautiful too- there are many fine hotels there.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 01:36 PM
sneal

I'd say the Ritz Carlton at Laguna Niguel or Four Seasons in Newport Beach if you want a little trek out of LA. Otherwise, Ritz at Marina Del Ray is great and you can walk/bike etc to all the LA beach towns (Santa Monica, Venice, Manhattan).

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 11:14 PM
Steve

The new St. Regis in Laguna is also a great hotel. You can then takes the kiddies to Legoland for the day in Carlsbad, or, to be closer to that place, you can stay at the Four Seasons right in Carlsbad itself!

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Wendy

Thanks all - I'll do some research on both suggestions (Laguna and Santa Barbara)

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 09:47 AM
David

Wendy,

Do you already have your hotel picked out for Beverly Hills? Do you need any suggestions?

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 09:50 AM
David

Wendy,

Do you already have your hotel picked out for Beverly Hills? Do you need any suggestions?

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 04:56 PM
uhoh

I loved the Hotel Nikko in BH. But, how old is the baby? They have the most awesome soaking tubs, however they are deeper than the avg tub. On the other hand, you could bathe with baby, which might be pretty neat.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 11:58 PM
Wendy

David

We are going to splash out on the Regent Beverley Wiltshire, as it is my husband's birthday. The reports on it all look good -do you agree?

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 01:31 AM
Ben

Yes, I certainly agree! The hotel is now a Four Seasons property and is wonderful--and the location is EXCELLENT, right there at Rodeo Drive, etc.! The walking/sightseeing aspect alone is worth it!! (The newer Peninsula Hotel is even better, but don't worry--your choice is just fine!)