Search

Where to stay in LA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2008, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in LA

Which "Beach" is nicer. I know very little about this area.
Huntington Beach, Laguna Beach or Newport Beach. Just from web browsing it looks like Huntington is VERY laid back, to Laguna to Newport which seems very posh.
We're in our 50's looking for a good time, laid back, great restaurants and shopping. Like to walk the beach in the morning, etc. Looking to go in August.
Thanks.
Frank
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 08:58 AM

That is not L.A. - it is OC which is beautiful. Laguna is spectacular. If you want L.A., stay in Santa Monica
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 11:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My thought is the same as above, that none of the places are really in Los Angeles.

Santa Monica would also be my suggestion for a beach that gets you much closer to the typical tourist sight-seeing of LA.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 12:16 PM

I agree with Suze. Santa Monica would be your best bet or go to Malibu.

Santa Monica is more convenient and there are excellent restaurants and shopping in the general area (meaning from Santa Monica to downtown).
Shopping--3rd Street and Santa Monica Place
Century City, The Grove, Beverly Center, etc.

As for those Orange County beaches, I think Laguna and Newport are nicer than Huntington.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Told you I didn't know much about this area <g>.

>>As for those Orange County beaches, I think Laguna and Newport are nicer than Huntington.<<

Why?? Curious... actually that is the exact info I'm looking for.

Actually, we want to stay in one of the 3 areas, Newport Beach, Huntington Beach or Laguna Beach.

Thanks.

Frank
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 02:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Frank, you might actually want to start another post then asking about the beaches. The title is confusing since you say "LA" and that's not really the information you're looking for.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Good point!!!
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Mambo_

I am not an expert, but have been to all three of those areas at least a couple of times. I'd skip Huntington. It strikes me more of a beach where local kids go to hang out and surf.

My impression of Laguna vs. Newport, is more upscale at Laguna. More laid-back at Newport. I could be wrong.

Newport Beach is adjacent to Balboa Island, which is a great little place full of shops and gorgeous little multi-million dollar homes. It's fun to walk all around the little island and gawk at the homes. Some of them rent out for summer visitors, and I've always thought that would be great idea. You probably need to stay longer than a week. Try realtors in Balboa Island and see what you can find, if you're interested.

Near Newport Beach is my all-time favorite laid-back and funky place for the best fresh grilled seafood: The Crab Cooker. Lobster tails, shrimp, scallops-- all fresh grilled. Very inexpensive for those dishes, too.

Old Apr 30th, 2008, 07:47 PM

Manhattan Beach, 3 miles south of LAX is an nice relaxing beach community in LA. Not as urban as Santa Monica, but a place to see local flavor in August.

Many good restaurants and cute shops. Nice pier to walk out on, 26 mile bike path. Beautiful sandy beach.

Check out the Sea View Inn for photos.

http://www.seaview-inn.com/index.htm
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 09:40 PM

They're all nice, but personally I would pick Laguna. It's a lovely town, very walkable and filled with cafes, art galleries and cute shops to wander through. The beaches are amazing. If I was a visitor to CA looking for a beach community to lounge around, Laguna's vibe would make me the happiest. Laguna is "posh" in that the people who live there are wealthy, but the atmosphere is quite laid back.

Some of my favorite restaurants include Sapphire, Cafe Anastasia and Heidelburg Cafe. But there are tons of wonderful choices.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 09:42 PM

Oh, but just so you're clear on distance, Laguna Beach is the furthest away from L.A. of your choices. It can be anywhere from an hour to 90 minutes drive from Laguna to L.A. depending on traffic and what part of town you're starting from. None of the choices you listed are particularly near L.A. though. I would fly into John Wayne airport instead of LAX.
Old May 1st, 2008, 08:19 PM

Huntington Beach has nice beaches but it is a younger crowd and more of a surfer city. I live in Corona Del Mar (Newport Beach) and love it but think as a tourist you would enjoy Laguna Beach the best. It is a wonderful and beautiful town to walk around and lots of restaurants. If you decide on Newport, you can go to Balboa Island or Balboa Peninsula and wander around. Lots of restaurants in Newport Beach too and also Fashion Island if you like upscale shopping malls.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 02:45 AM
Original Poster

Sounds great!!! Thanks for the recommendations. My wife seems to like Laguna the best now that I've sent her links to the places mentioned here.

Frank
Old May 2nd, 2008, 01:57 PM
TaxFreeTravel

Erin74 points out that "Laguna Beach is the furthest away from L.A. of your choices. It can be anywhere from an hour to 90 minutes drive from Laguna to L.A. depending on traffic and what part of town you're starting from",

but just so you know, traffic anywhere in S. Cal is lousy, pretty much no matter what time of day/night. I vote for Laguna, it's very upscale/artsy.