Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

One night in LA; should we stay in Santa Monica?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be attending a conference in Palm Springs in October. As a graduation present to my younger sister, she is going with me. We are flying into LAX and out of Palm Springs, and will spend one night in the LA area before we head to Palm Springs for the conference. She has never been to California before; my husband and I were there for a week a few years ago for vacation. We live in St. Louis, and she has only seen the ocean a few times, and each time was from Florida, so we will definitely be checking out the coast when we are there.

I'm trying to figure out the best location to stay for that one night. I would like to take her to see the typical Hollywood sights, but I'm thinking that Santa Monica may be a good place to stay for the night. I really liked it last time we were in the area. I am 27 and she is 25, if that helps any. I was thinking about maybe the Ambrose, as it looks like a good hotel and gets pretty good reviews. My other choice was the Crowne Plaza Beverly Hills. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Tracy
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 03:18 PM

It's been awhile since I lived in LA, but I think Santa Monica is a great choice for a limited stay like that. You can see the coast and the pier which appear on tv often, have great choices of restaurants, can enjoy the 3rd avenue promenade and take a drive up to Malibu and see the views from Pepperdine. My other choice would be Marina del Rey but I think Santa Monica is better.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 03:30 PM

For one night, Santa Monica would offer you plenty to do, and if you stay in downtown SM you will be able to walk to most of it. If you stay at the Ambrose (and I'm sounding like a broken record on this), you will be at a nice hotel that is 20 blocks from the beach, in the middle of the multitude of clinics and doctor's offices supporting St. John's Health Center. They offer London Cab service to downtown SM (and the Third Street Promenade), which is a good thing. But personally, I'd rather be able to walk places and walk back to the hotel with such limited time.

The Crowne Plaza Beverly Hills is a nice-enough hotel in a not-so-great location: Barely in Beverly Hills, with very little of interest within walking distance. Fine for people with time and a rental car, but for one night....
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 04:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Santa Monica would be okay unless you have to make it to the conference at a particular time the next morning. You'd be driving across all of Los Angeles which isn't such a good idea if it's 7:30 to 9:30am.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 10:52 PM

Hermosa Beach. ON the beach.
The town was built for people our age, I love it.

www.seaspritemotel.com
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies!

Travelkitty, thank you for your comments. My thoughts on staying there were just as you mentioned. The town is so lively and we both love to shop so I thought it would be a great place to spend the evening.

rjw_lgb_ca, I'm so glad you mentioned the distance with regards to the Ambrose. It's been awhile since I've been there so when I looked at the location map on their website I couldn't really get a feel for the distance. I certainly don't want to be that far away if I don't have to. I will do a search on here, but in the meantime do you have a good hotel recommendation for Santa Monica? I don't want to spend a fortune because my DH and I will be leaving for Europe (Croatia!) a few weeks after I get back and want to use any extra money on that trip. At the same time, I would love a nice hotel in a good location. I'm hoping for something $200 or under, although I would consider paying more for the right place.

clarkgriswold, luckily the conference itself doesn't start until Monday, and we will be arriving in LA on a Saturday. I just need to get to Palm Springs sometime on Sunday afternoon/evening to check into my hotel.

microdol, thank you for your comment and the link! I will definitely check it out.

Thanks again everyone!
Tracy
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Okay, please disregard my $200 budget above! I realize that I will have to beef it up to stay in Santa Monica. Still considering it, but will have to do some research.

Thanks again!
Tracy
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 06:26 AM

HI Tracy--I think that for a one night stay, that SM will be perfect. The Crowne Plaza is not close to anything, as you have been advised.... Why not consider the Georgian? They seem to have some packages that include parking for $205, altho I do not know if those are available for your dates....Anyway, it is a great location, in that you can walk to so many places. Have fun!!
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 08:26 AM

Just last week I was looking at hotels in SM ( ultimately decided on Santa Barbara...) and the Georgian looked great! Thier staff was very responsive when I called to answer questions and I will stay there the next time I need a room in that area.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

The Georgian does look fantastic. I was all excited and ready to book but, alas, they only have suites left on the night I need the room, and they are out of my price range. It looks like I waited too long because a lot of hotels seem to be booked for October 14. Back to the drawing board!

Tracy
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 09:03 AM

Too bad... did you look at the doubletree? They also seemed to have a good location. I got a lot of hotel names to try by searching past threads here... I am assuming you did the same. Good luck to you!
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 10:30 AM

Definitely stay at the Ambrose. It's great. But the Georgian is right near the beach, that could be fun too. We had reservations at both places around New Year's and went with the Ambrose and couldn't have been happier with our stay there. It's a unique place and it's really affordable considering budget.

rjw_lgb_ca was a big help in our planning! He's the source for all things Santa Monica....
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 10:36 AM

In the late 90's, I stayed at a 4* in Santa Monica with a view of the water for $60 from priceline.

Maybe check out betterbidding.com to see what hotels people are getting for that area?
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 11:01 AM

We stayed at the Doubletree a few years ago and were very happy there. That is the hotel with Tops on the top floor, right? It is a high rise and the view from their bar on top is amazing, but I hear they are renovating? Our room was very large and comfortable and I think you can get it for under or around $200. There is also a Fairmont next door, also very nice.

For a budget, we stayed at the Best Western;

http://www.gatewayhotel.com/

right there across from the pier and it was very nice, and a fabulous location. I would stay at either place again. We don't spend much time in our room when in SM anyway...
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 11:11 AM

Actually, Heavens, the hotel with Toppers at the top is the Huntley (now an independent):

http://www.preferredhotels.com/value...r.asp?id=55462

And the Best Western you stayed at is the BW Ocean View:

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwest...ode=05531#null

The other one is actually a block or two from the Ambrose...!
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 11:17 AM

sorry to interrupt... rjw lgb ca... did you see my question about Amlibu Seafood? I was hoping you'd have an naswer for me!

Also the BW Ocean View is undergoing construction, I believe... at least it was last week. A phone call might clarify.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 11:18 AM

Think I can type? Not! Malibu Seafood... on an earlier post...
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 11:23 AM

moneygirl: I did see that post, but I haven't been to Malibu Seafood in years and years, so I'm not much help. As I recall, it was all cheap and good. Since it's still BYOB, stop at a supermarket on the way, find a nice bottle of wine in the cooler and a waiter's key, and enjoy the casual seafood dinner the way the locals do!
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 11:28 AM

moneygirl, are you sure about the BW Ocean View? I drive by that facility daily and haven't seen any signs of construction.

Now, the BW Marina Pacific, down in Venice-- that one's getting an exterior rehab. But it's still open.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 11:30 AM

Gawd I'm a moron.... Did anyone mention trying the Viceroy? It's a little south of the main drag of downtown SM, but it's quite nice and its bar/eatery Whist is a fun scene. And, if you want dinner and a view, One Pico is down the street!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -