Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in D.C? What neighborhoods?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

My fiance and I are coming to D.C. at the tail end of the Cherry Blossom Festival (April 7-9). We're coming from Manhattan and most likely taking the train down. I have been to D.C. once before and stayed in Georgetown at the Four Seasons which was very nice. This time we're looking for something a bit cheaper than the $300-800 price range that Georgetown seems to be in.

My question is...what other areas would be a good alternative? Mainly I'm concerned with being close to transportation and having plenty of restaurants nearby. Some fun unique upscale shopping would also be a plus. I'd prefer to stay in a higher end or even boutique type hotel. I had checked out the Kimpton Group hotels (Hotel George, Hotel Helix, Hotel Rouge, etc.). Some of them look interesting but again I'm clueless as to the types of neighborhoods they are located in. Any tips on areas to stay in would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!
Rachel
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 09:26 AM

I would choose either Hotel Monaco in Penn Quarter or Hotel Madera in Dupont Circle. Both locations offer excellent transportation and dining options.

I think I might actually prefer Penn Quarter these days. Lots of "new"-ish restaurants including my favorite, Zaytinya. www.zaytinya.com

I really like Washingtonian for info on DC (espcecially activities and restaurant reviews). www.washingtonian.com
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

After checking the Kimpton hotels a little closer I found a special for $125 a night. The only hotel it is not at is Hotel Monaco. The Topaz Hotel and Hotel Madera are in Dupont Circle, Hotel Rouge by Embassy Row, and Hotel George in Capitol Hill. Any recommendations?
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 10:08 AM

The Topaz is in a very good location (residential neighborhood), easy walking distance to Dupont circle Metro, shops, restaurants and night life. I believe it has a very trendy bar in the bottom. The Hotel George is right near the heart of Capitol Hill (office bldg neighborhood) and they have a fantastic restaurant in house - after the sun goes down, however, the streets are barren and there is not much around other than the shops and restaurants of Union Station. But, it would be very convenient if you are taking the train as you will come right into Union Station and not have to go very far. Hotel Rouge (residential neighborhood) is near Dupont, but I believe a little further away than Topaz, and I think they also have a very late night bar scene.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Funny, even adding on parking fees it will be cheaper for us to drive down. Amtrak is running $200+ a person. Topaz Hotel has mixed reviews. Has anyone stayed there? Hotel Madera doesn't have the special rate available - bummer! What about Hotel Rouge on Embassy Row?
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 04:42 PM

The only one I've ever stayed at was Hotel Helix, and I wouldn't stay there again. It was a tad...odd.

Old Mar 19th, 2006, 06:26 PM

I stayed at Hotel Madera in January. I was very pleased with the hotel and my room, and the location was good too. It's a short walk (2 blocks?) to Dupont Circle. Don't expect a traditional decor - it's a little artsy-funky - but still very comfortable. Unfortunately, we didn't get a chance to eat at Firefly (the restaurant attached to Madera), but we will next time!

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I ended up doing some footwork and getting the $125 special at the Hotel Madera.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 10:41 AM

Excellent choice...you will the hotel and location. Great upscale shopping on Connecticut Avenue.

Firefly is actually pretty good - would be a nice relaxing dinner after a long drive from NYC (it takes longer than it should).
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 10:42 AM

You can do better than $200 a person on Amtrak. Shift the time you take the train and look for specials. I can take this route for $125 often.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Original Poster

Just to be certain I checked Amtrak again. The lowest fare available for our days is $190 per person. Spring break and Easter are hiking all of the rates. Flights are super spendy during April too.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 04:38 AM

We stayed at the Topaz last week. Nice hotel - very quiet, large room, very comfortable beds. Only hangup was it took them about 20 minutes to get the bill correct - they just installed a new computer system and were clueless how to use it. Hopefully they've gotten the hang of it by now :.)
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 04:06 AM

Hi,
I'm looking at going to DC on the weekend of April 21-23 to catch the Cezanne exhibit at the NGA. How did you get the special rate at the Hotel Madera?
Thanks
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

If you go to the Hotel Madera's website they have a link at the top for "Hot Dates, Great Rates". There they have their $129 rate listed. I ended up calling the 800 number to get them to honor it. Hope this helps!
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 12:47 PM

I believe this is a non refundable reservation where you pay the whole amount up front. Is this what you had to do? I am going the end of May, but am hesitant to get a non refundable rate....I can get 4152 AAA rate. Is your rate refundable if cancelled ?
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

When I used the Hot Dates, Great Rates you had to pay up front and it was non refundable.

We just returned from our trip. The hotel was very nice and I am picky. The room was large and nicely decorated. My only warning would be that the bathroom which is the shower and the toilet is pretty tight. The area with the sink, mirror, and closet is very spacious. The hotel was a block off of Dupont Circle. I would defintely go back!