Where to go to the beach late June to early July

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would like to take a beach vacation beginning the last week of June until the first week of July. Where will the ocean be swimmable (not too cold) and the air not too hot? I'd prefer the east coast but am open to other suggestions.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 09:51 AM

Guess it all depends on your definition of "too hot" and "too cold"! I was thinking the Outer Banks (NC) - let's see what others say. I know SC will be pretty steamy by that time and water in Deleware/NJ will still be chilly.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 09:54 AM

Only you know what not too cold and not too hot are. I would suggest anyplace from New Jersey up through Mass (I think anyplace further south the temps will be too hot - and Maine water still a little chilly).

For specific recos you also need to say if you're looking for a hotel/motel, to rent a house/cottage, what kind of atmosphere you want (boardwalk/activities or natural beach/dunes), what kind of budget you have - if you'll be driving/flying.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 10:08 AM

The Travel Channel lists the best beaches. The panhandle of Florida has some of the best. I wouldn't go there in the winter. Spring and early summer are best. California is good in later July and August.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 10:19 AM

wunderground.com is a website that gives you average air and water temps by month. You might want to have a check there since we don't know what you may consider too hot or cold.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

I think that most years NJ water is still too cold for swimming at the end of June. Certainly north of that will be too. What are the outer banks like? Are they very built up?
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 11:09 AM

I'm not an Outer Banks expert so hopefully someone will write back. I think in some areas it is fairly built up. Another beach would be Emerald Isle(NC) - I went there once and it was very nice.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 11:14 AM

We did the Outer Banks in late July. It was hot but we were able to get in biking, golf, etc. in the morning hours and then head to the pool/beach in the afternoons. Probably the same in June tho August is the worst for summer beaches so you're probably in better shape. Humidity is a problem everywhere on the east coast in the summer but there are some really beautiful spots in the OBX (I like this beach better than shores in Jersey). You can also try Kiawah Island, Hilton Head, or Seabrook (also going to be a bit hotter). But my number one vote for beautiful beaches in the US still goes to those in South Fort Walton on the panhandle. Try looking at www.vrbo.com for deals on rentals directly from owners.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 02:06 PM

We like florida beaches in June and July. The afternoon showers cool things down, so it's mid-day that you need to stay off the beach but otherwise it's fine. The water temperature is wonderful then. It is a little cooler up in the Panhandle of FL but not much. If you want places that are not too "built up" then check into Captiva, FL. Or Siesta Key, Lido Key, Longboat Key, Anna Maria, Passe-A-Grille, Sunset Beach.