I Need Info Quick

Jan 20th, 2004, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

I Need Info Quick

Please, anybody who has currently been to or recently been to Crystal Beach in Galveston please tell me how it was. Was it clean? Were there a lot of bugs? My family is interested in going in July, how is the temperature then? Thanks
Jan 20th, 2004, 09:51 AM

My sister was at Crystal Beach this past summer and said she and a group had a great time renting a beach house. She didn't go into specifics, but I don't remember her having anything negative to say.

I will attest to my own bad experiences of dealing with mosquitos in general on beaches in Galveston after dark in the summer. I don't know if this is typical, but I've certainly had a couple of nightmare experiences with them.

As far as tempertare, it's Texas in the middle of summer. It will be hot and humid. That's never really kept me from going in the past, though. It seems to be hot in most southern places in the summer.
Jan 20th, 2004, 12:47 PM

If you're making a special trip just for the beach, and you're not locked into Galveston, you can find much better beaches elsewhere in Texas and the US. I'd only choose Galveston if I had to be there for some other reason besides the beach (e.g. family). The water temperature will be in the high 80s and the air temps will be in the 90s in the day, 80s at night, with about 100% humidity. If you're lucky, you'll get a breeze in the afternoons.
Jan 20th, 2004, 12:55 PM

I have to agree with the above posts. Galveston would certainly not be my first choice. We were not all that impressed.
Jan 20th, 2004, 01:05 PM

A good thing about Galveston is the Moody Gardens complex. Especially in July, it is nice to have a fun family-friendly air conditioned place.
Jan 25th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Jayne1973

It will be hot and humid for sure. Galveston hasn't the best beaches in Texas (you have to go all the way down to South Padre Island for that.) But it's got "good vibes," with the seawall and lots of history, good seafood, and plenty of souvenior shops to add to the beachy feel. We used to go all the time in the summer and I don't remember the mosquitos being too bad. I think it's a fun town.