Chicago restaurants for a group???

Jan 7th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Chicago restaurants for a group???

Will be in Chicago for our annual convention in February. I used to live there, and have many favorite restaurants, but am looking for something new to take the group. Any suggestions for a fun/lively atmosphere with great food?????
Jan 7th, 2004, 11:21 AM

My favorite for a group, which I always recommend,is Cafe Iberico-it's Spanish tapas & paiella (sp?),
Jan 7th, 2004, 11:33 AM

Try Buca di Beppo. Its a family syle Italian restaurant with several locations and has the best garlic bread we have ever had. They take a round loaf of herbed Italian bread, slice it length wise, cover it oil and fine garlic slices and bake it. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
Jan 7th, 2004, 02:08 PM

Ask the concierge to set up a restaurant crawl of all the great ethnic neighborhoods and specialties. Hire a limo and everybody can toast the night away in international style.
Jan 7th, 2004, 02:17 PM

Cafe Iberico at 739 N. LaSalle in River North is a great place for a large group. Be sure and get a reservation, esp. with a large group, it is very popular.

Greek town is another good suggestion for fun and lively, I've eaten at Greek Islands and Santorini recently and both are good.

I think you already asked about Wildfire in another post, also a great place for a group.

For something a little different, if you are not a huge group, is Paprikash, a Hungarian place up on Diversey. We had a group of about 14 there a couple of months ago and it was liked by all. The food is great, the owners quite lovely.
Jan 7th, 2004, 02:58 PM

We just ate at Rosebud's on Rush. It came highly recommended. And we loved it. There were nine of us. Big portions. A few of us split. Their salads are huge. Very cozy place. Loved the food and the service. We got right in with no wait. But it was 2 days before Thanksgiving.
Jan 8th, 2004, 12:39 PM

Another vote for Cafe Iberico.
Jan 8th, 2004, 12:42 PM

Actually, I was looking for somewhere to go next Saturday before Hairspray and Cafe Iberico is a good idea. Wondering if we would have a long wait if we get there early, like 5:30 - 6:00?
Jan 8th, 2004, 12:43 PM

Another vote for Rosebud. Great place. However, how many people are you planning to entertain? If it's much more than 10 or 12, call to see what they can accommodate.

I hope the Buca di Beppo(s) in Chicago are better than the one here in Santa Monica-- the absolutely worst restaurant I've ever eaten in. Burnt marinara sauce-- and everything comes with marinara sauce, so every dish was ruined. Appalling.
Jan 8th, 2004, 12:50 PM

Cafe Ibericos wait isn't too long if you got that early. They take reservations for big groups too. I agree that Buca is to be avoided, especially if you have people who know good Italian food.
Jan 25th, 2004, 08:07 PM

Another vote here for Cafe Iberico. Maggiano's is also a good place for a large group (family style dining).