Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

312 Chicago Restaurant ?Is there another restaurant close to Cadillac Theater??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2003, 07:09 PM
cd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have reservations at 312 Chicago Restaurant for a family dinner. We will take a cab from our hotel, have dinner and then walk to the Cadillac Theater for Lion King. We choose this restaurant because of it's location to the theater. I have not read great reviews of this restaurant. I have read high price, so-so food. Can you recommend another restaurant within walking distance to the Cadillac Theater?
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 07:43 PM

We were just at the Cadillac last weekend and looked at 312-----like you, had read so-so reports. So....I did some research (mostly on this forum) and chose to eat at Vivere. We had EXCELLENT fish there. My husband had the pan-fried salmon special for $29.95 and I had the grilled tuna. Both of our meals were excellent. We made 6:00 reservations and told them we had tickets for 8:00. No problem----we didn't feel rushed. and the food was great. Vivere is only about 3-4 blocks south and east of the Cadillac and it took us only about 6 min. to walk from the rest. to the theatre. Vivere is part of a trio of restaurants called the Italian Village. The top floor is called The Village (very disneyesque Italian Village twinkling lites atmosphere) I ate there several years ago----think I had lasagne or something similar----good. (you mentioned a family dinner----if you have elementary age kids, this might be the place for you!). The middle floor is called Vivere----kind of yuppie, upscale, contemporary food, and the bottom level is called The Cantina. Haven't been to that one 'cus it didn't get good reviews on this forum. Another place nearby is Nick's Fishmarket-----people seem to like it too----we looked in-----looked fairly nice. And someone else mentioned Trattoria #10-----don't know anything about it, but all of these places are within 3-4 blocks of the Theatre. I would definitely recommend Vivere----and ask to be seated in the balcony at a table overlooking the lower floor. Have fun! P.S. FANTASTIC wine selection at Vivere.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 07:48 PM
cd
Original Poster

Thanks Colette! Will look into this!
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 01:54 PM

I agree that the Italian Village is a good choice. Not sure what you consider walking distance, but within 1/2 mile - my favorites are:

Trattoria No. 10 (10 N. Dearborn) - Italian. Quiet, excellant food, cute atmosphere.

Bob Chins (LaSalle and the River) - can be load, seafood.

Marche (Randolph and Halsted) - French. Very cool atmosphere, great food.

RedLift - Asian/fusion - great food, somewhat expensive.

I can provide more options and more information (I live in Chicago) or you can check out Metromix.com, which provides great information regarding Chicago restaurants, including user reviews.

Old Jul 11th, 2003, 02:57 PM
cd
Original Poster

Thanks Laura
I think we will go with the Italian Village (top floor) since there are six of us and two are 9 and 13. It sounds like that would be more to their liking. Walking distance to us would be within 10 min to Cadillac Theater. Thanks again!