Where to go in the Keys

Apr 30th, 2019, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Where to go in the Keys

Looking for a place to go in the Florida Keys. Two 50-60 yr old couples, love golf, relaxing in the sun, fishing, good food and wine! We usually find a home, but would be open to anything. Thinking of mid to late July possibly. Any suggestions on a specific island or area? thanks, Dallas, Texas
Apr 30th, 2019, 01:30 PM

If going to the Keys and golfing is a top priority you have to go to either Key West or Key Largo. They are the only two Keys that have golf.

Youíll find more and better golf in many other areas of the Florida ďmainlandĒ - places like Miami, Naples, Bonita Springs, Amelia Island, Boca Rotan to name a few.
Apr 30th, 2019, 03:22 PM

I was stumped by the question. I couldn't picture golf courses on the various smaller keys. I don't think of the Keys as a food and wine destination... is it? I loved Marathon at Bahia Honda park but that was camping and many moons ago. The other places we stayed were funky motels.

I'm thinking Key West is your best answer?
May 1st, 2019, 04:32 AM

Key West definitely!
May 1st, 2019, 05:45 AM

https://www.cheeca.com/?chebs=local-cheeca

Islamorada, great sports fishing, 9 hole golf course, spa, typical Keys seafood.

Cheeca Lodge
May 1st, 2019, 11:47 AM

While you can certainly find plenty of fishing and good food and wine in the keys, if you are also looking for golf and nice white sand beaches you should look elsewhere. If it were me I would look at Naples/Marco Island or St. Pete/Clearwater areas. My favorite places in Florida are St. Pete Beach and Anna Maria Island.
May 2nd, 2019, 03:03 AM

I love Islamorada as a base in the Keys, with a day trip to Key West.

Not sure the Keys are the best option for a golf-centered vacation. There are plenty of great options in other areas. Go to the Keys for a Keys vacation. rncheryl's post is a good idea, but may not be "enough" golf for you. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Enjoy the rest the keys have to offer.

There is a new AI in the Keys. Family members went there and loved it -
https://www.coastalliving.com/travel...clusive-resort

Last edited by starrs; May 2nd, 2019 at 03:12 AM.
Jun 9th, 2019, 04:35 AM

Isla Bella beach resort in marathon

I just left marathon in the keys last weekend. Iíve been going to keys my entire life stayed everywhere. This resort just opened up! Itís brand new! Absolutely gorgeous! Sunsets , tiki bar Oceanside, marina and spa and restaurant in gated property. Has 5 or six pools. No I donít work for them lol! I just want to go back. Marathon is mid keys. You could drive to key west for the day and come back as well as drive to Islamorada iif desired. Keys is not the place to golf but to relax snorkel fish and have fun! The sombroro reef is a lighthouse 3 miles off shore that most the snorkel tour boats go to! I highly recommend. From this resort if you donít want to spend resort prices for lunch or dinner there is a walkable restaurant I think itís called sunset bar and grill. Spectacular sunsets off the dock live music and manateees were swimming around the dock the night we ate there. One hr jet ski tour was fabulous. We did not do tours thru hotel. Overpriced. We used Big Kauhuna Watersports 2 miles down the street. Iím 47 so I like the finer things in life and this place was five star all the way! I think the prices are pretty low for how nice the resort is due to the fact it just opened in Januaryís. I would take advantage of that!
Jun 9th, 2019, 06:31 PM

Key West Golf Club is located on Stock Island, and might be where you want to look for a home to rent through VRBO.