Florida Keys - 1 hotel and drive?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a trip (7 nights) to Miami/Florida Keys for the beginning of June. At the moment, we're thinking of renting a car for the week, staying 2-3 nights in Miami Beach, and the remainder in the Keys before flying back out of Miami.

Would you recommend staying in one hotel (say in Key West) and driving around the Keys to various sites/beaches? Or stay in multiple hotels within the keys?
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:07 AM
GoTravel

Key West is the best place to be if you aren't going to be out on the water.

I love Islamorada and Cheeca Lodge, Casa Morada, and The Moorings but would be bored out of my mind there without a boat.

Your best bet is to get a guidebook to Miami and the Florida Keys.

I highly recommend The Florida Keys by Joy Williams. Great, informative, funny read.

Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:16 AM

Without knowing your likes and dislikes its hard to suggest what you should do. The Upper, Middle and Lower Keys all offer something different for the tourist. On top of the suggested reading, I would also check out some sites about the Keys and see what peaks your interest. www.Keywest.com http://fla-keys.com/
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:46 AM

When my wife and I were there a few years ago, we did 1 night in Key West and 1 night in Islamorada, as a way to save some money (Key West was a lot more expensive, although we went right around New Years). We found the two places very different, and surprisingly liked Islamorada a lot more than Key West. (We didn't have a boat, but for a day and a half had no problem finding things to do. And it was sooo much quieter.) Driving around feels like it takes a long time, so staying in a few different places may encourage you experience more of the different areas of the Keys.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

I'm content being a beach bum, but my husband likes to be active (fishing, scuba diving...). We'd like to stay near a nice beach, but it does sound like everything is fairly close - especially in Key West.

I guess I'm not sure if we should plan for 1 night in Islamorada, or just stay the entire time in Key West...
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:15 AM

If you are looking for a beach vacation, Key West may not do it for you. All of the beaches are small, man made.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 06:41 PM

I don't know how "laid back" you want your hotel to be, but we had a wonderful time at Parmer's Resort on Little Torch Key a few years back. There are also a couple of good guest houses on Big Pine Key. Both places are 30 minutes to Key West and about 10 minutes to Bahia Honda, the best strip of beach in the Keys.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:17 PM

Get a B&B tucked away in Old Town, off the beaten path, away from Duval Street. Leave your car and rent bicycles or scooters to get around the island. There are numerous things to do ... snorkeling, sunset sail, fishing, museums, shops, beaches, Dry Tortugas, etc.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 03:55 AM

I would change hotels. I agree with the posters who recommend a hotel in Islamorada. Your husband can fish out of Bud n Mary's Marina. You will find plenty to do in Islamorada. Splitting up the drive down will provide more time to visit places en route. If you camp at Key West, the second day you find yourself double tracking back out Overseas Highway you'll wish you'd taken it all in on the one drive down.