Search

Where to buy tabis?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2007, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to buy tabis?

Hello Hawaii locals,

I would like to buy my dad a pair of tabis because we are going to Hawaii in October, and he is really into hiking and backpacking.

I haven't been able to find anything other than karate style ones online. Does anyone know where I could purchase these -- either online or a store on one of the islands that would send them?

Thanks!
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 08:13 AM

hmmmmm, my understanding is that tabis are not used for hiking. As a Hawaii resident who has hiked around since childhood, I can tell you that none of is use tabis--we wear hiking shoes (or some other supportive walking shoe).

Tabis are used for protecting your feet while fishing or tidepooling. That being said, you may probably find them at fishing stores, maybe walmart or Longs. Or a Japanese store like Shirokiya. They are supposed to be really snug, though, so you may be better off buying them here and have dad try them on himself.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 06:34 AM

I don't know if you want to have them purchased ahead of time, but you can buy them at the Wal-Marts or Kmarts on any of the islands.

People don't usually hike in them if the terrain is completely dry, but they are good to put on when walking over wet rocks, lava rock, etc.