Hiking boots needed for El Yunque?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in Puerto Rico next week, and plan to do a day trip to the El Yunque Rain Forest. Can anyone tell me what the trails are like there - specifically, should we pack our hiking boots? What about hiking poles? I wouldn't think about hiking most places here in New England without good boots, and poles are helpful too - lots of tree roots and rocks. Good boots are pretty mndatory most places I've been in the southwest, too. But sometimes I've been surprised at places I've traveled that had wide, smooth trails; decent walking shoes (or even sandals) were fine. We'll take our boots if it's a good idea (and poles), but if they're not needed, we'll save the suitcase space. Thanks for any guidance.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 04:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I hope someone else replies. You can also ask on tripadvisor. We had planned to go to the rainforest and I had read it was slippery for sneakers, so we bought the water shoes that are like sneakers (speedo brand) from costco. We did not get to go. My one child had gotten a spider bite prior to the trip and so we had to cancel some of our activities. (ankle was swollen). So, we lounged around a lot.
I think it was on tripadvisor that I read about using watershoes.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 04:37 AM

I only did a short hike (35minutes each way) to the waterfall and didn't need hiking boots. I'm embarassed to say that I actually wore my crocs the whole time. Brought sneakers but just ended up keeping my crocs on and they were fine. Even carried my tired 5 year old (strapped to my back)the whole way back from the waterfall. Shoulders were killing me but my feet were fine.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 06:00 AM

The trails are somewhat narrow in places and can be slippery with mud but I hiked to the waterfall with my children (ages 8 and 13) and we all did fine in sneakers. What amazed me is the number of people attempting to hike in flip flops/high heels/all dressed up in cruisewear, some people seemed completely unprepared (it was the same way hiking Diamondhead in Hawaii). It's not difficult hiking but it's not super easy either. And be prepared to get drenched (one of those fold up ponchos would be a good idea) there's a reason it's called the rainforest!
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 08:17 AM

We wore sneakers but my daughter slipped and ended up covered in mud. I think even in hiking boots you have to be careful as the trails are wet and mossy. Most people were dressed casually in sneakers but we did see a couple of serious hikers and a few jewelry laden women in heels or flip flops but the latter group didn't seem to make it as far as the waterfall!
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 09:38 AM

I'd vote for saving suitcase space and keep the hiking boots at home. We wore sneakers with no problem.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 11:01 AM

Agreed, unless you plan to do some really serious hiking way into the forest, some good walking shoes or running shows will be adequate. The trails to the water falls, etc, can be a bit slippery in places but in general pretty easy to navigate. So, if you plan to just do the trails that are well defined then leave the hiking boots at home.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 11:01 AM

running shoes - not shows.....
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 04:07 PM

If you wish to hike the trails up to the top of the mountain, and/or to the tower, expect to walk through mud and slippery areas. My wife and I brought hiking shoes and were glad we did as we did not wish to get our sneakers covered in mud. If you only plan on doing the touristy trail to the waterfall, it is an easy trail and almost any footwear will do. Some people actually take the asphalt paved service road for a large part of their "hike".

Please refer to my posting regarding my trip to PR last month.

Have a great time, and take your time hiking and exploring the rainforest.

Dr J
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 04:58 PM

I haven't been, but based on your responses, sounds like a Teva or other rugged sandal would do. Those shoes are great in slippery and even rocky areas. One experience I had with my Teva's was at a Jimmy Buffet concert in a torrential downpour. The hill was a mudslide, people were falling all over the place. I could navigate with no problem. They have great traction.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 04:58 AM

I agree w/everyone else. The bigger problem is water, mud & keeping dry. I have a pair of low-top Tecnica shoes that I used. Some Wellies might be your best bet but who wants to haul a pair of those around ? lol
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 05:28 PM

Like most answers here. The walks on the most part are not too tough and sneakers should be OK. But if you have space in your luggage for hiking boots, then go ahead and use them.

This post will give you some info on the various walks and the site has other ideas also
http://www.visit-the-coqui.com/place...ue-rainforest/

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the replies, everyone, this is all helpful info. While doing some more research I found this on the Gorp website:

"You won't have much problem walking the different trails; most are surfaced with asphalt or concrete. In fact, you may be disappointed at how hard-surfaced the forest pathways are. There are two reasons for this. One is to combat erosion. Some sections of forest sidewalk have to be repaired and replaced almost every year because of the torrential runoffs.

The second reason for the hard-surfaced paths is wonderfully unique, even for the Caribbean. As one Puerto Rican tourism official explained to me,"We don't like to walk. We are a 'car' people and we like to drive everywhere. The idea of walking through the forest on dirt paths where you might get your shoes dirty does not truly appeal to a lot of us."

That bit about people not liking to walk and taking cars everywhere is a bit discouraging to read. It sounds like the biggest criteria for footwear should be something with good traction, and something that we don't mind getting wet and muddy. Well, hiking boots are good for that, but maybe my Keene sandals would do just as well.

Has anyone taken the one hour tour offered by the forest rangers, and if so, did you think it was worthwhile?
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 09:39 AM

LOL, Sara, I am still cracking up at the comment from the Tourism officer! See, I grew up in Puerto Rico, and even though I've lived all my adult life in the US (and I am now married, with one kid and another one on the way), I guess I'm still very much a Puerto Rican at heart because the idea of hiking through mud in a rain forest is sooooo not appealling! But yet I love going to El Yunque because you don't quite get as dirty, and still you can enjoy all the beautiful trees and waterfalls! Don't let the comment discourage you, EL Yunque is gorgeous, but it is meant to be enjoyed by everyone - younger kids, the very fit, the not so fit and the older folks alike. As such, the main trails are paved, which really does facilitate things. I would recommend that you either stay on the trails or take a tour. El Yunque is a lot bigger and disorienting than what meets the eye, and you could get lost if you venture on your own. BTW, I've "hiked" around EL Yunque at least a dozen times, and I've never owned a pair of hiking boots. I have these great Nike Aqua Shoes, which have a thick, rubbery traction sole and quick-drying top. I bring these shoes whenever I go to Puerto Rico as they help with all the "wet" outdoor activities. Have fun!