Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hawaii- Do I need "hiking shoes" or will my tennis shoes suffice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2003, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're travelling to 4 different islands and plan to hike Diamond Head on Oahu, the volcano on the big island, and more. Will my "running" tennis shoes w/ thick soles suffice, or do I have to go out and buy hiking shoes for these activites? I've never really hiked before, although I do power walking and am in pretty good shape. I'd like to avoid taking an extra pair of shoes (because I'll need my tennis shoes for power walking/workouts anyway). What do you think?
Old May 3rd, 2003, 05:27 AM

I think that you can get by with thick-soled tennis shoes, but if it was me, I'd go out and buy a quality pair of multi-sport shoes that you can use when you return home. I'm not sure what "running" tennis shoes are! Keep in mind that some of the hiking may include uneven terrain with bumpy or jagged lava.

On the other hand, if you are planning on backpacking rather dayhikes, or have problems with your feet [as my husband does], than you might wish to invest in some sturdy hikers.

Perhaps trailrunners, light and useful for walking as well, would work for you - that's what I'm wearing hiking in the rockies this summer.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 05:59 AM

I did Diamond Head and Volcano park in my regular Keds. The path up Diamond head is partly paved, partly stairs, but always at least hard-packed pathway. Your running shoes will be fine.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 09:20 AM

Hi dolciani
In my opinion I would think I'd be more comfortable in my tennys.
Breaking in new hiking shoes when your on vacation BITE'S! blisters ect...
Hope you have a Great time
Hang loose
Old May 3rd, 2003, 09:53 AM

If you are just doing Diamond Head & Volcano National Park, then your Tennis Shoes will be fine. If you plan on doing some more difficult hikes, like in Waimea Canyon on Kauai, then get hiking boots.

I got some Candies hiking boots for like $30 before I left for Hawaii a couple years ago & since have used them for other trips.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 09:56 AM

You will be fine at Diamond Head and at Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island with running shoes etc, however if you try hiking the rugged Napali coast trail (at Kee Beach) in Kauai for example, I would recommend hiking shoes and hiking poles (though some locals were hiking in bare feet!).
Old May 3rd, 2003, 01:40 PM

I hiked the first two miles of the Napali trail, and several Hana area hikes, in those hideous $5 Kmart water shoes. It was rainy some days, and I find that my Teva sandals get too roomy when my feet get cold, and slippery. The water shoes have great traction. You could just throw them away when you leave (I kept mine as a kind of souvenir - never see orange dirt in Florida!). My husband laughed at me, but my feet thanked me!
Old May 3rd, 2003, 09:10 PM

Hiking in Hawaii has no single answer as to what to wear. Hikes like Diamond Head are really just paved roads with staircases and dry graded gravel. Slippers would be more than adequate.

For real ridge hikes, it's best to have good hiking shoes as the terrain can be very slippery. You'll know what I'm talking about when try to cross rooted sections. Always bring rope and safety gear to be on the safe side. It's not uncommon to find yourself sliding off the side of a ridge because you were careless -- it happens even to the best of hikers.

For valley hikes, it's pretty much mandatory you wear waterproofed high boots, as the mud is insanely thick and you'll definitely need to do some stream crossings. Some will wear regular shoes and then go barefoot when it gets nasty. Watch out for the rocks near streams, they are very slippery and a fall here can be dangerous. I suggest you not hop over rocks and such, but instead just slosh your way into the stream (they aren't deep). Stay out of all valleys during periods of rainfall.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 09:21 PM

I wore sneakers to the Volcano. make sure you wear real shoes, not any sort of sandals, because your feet may get burnt.
Old May 4th, 2003, 06:32 AM

If you're planning to stay on the trails at Diamond Head and Volcano, your thick soled tennis shoes will be fine. I wouldn't bring your best pair, however, as the volcanic dust and lava rocks will "age" them quickly. Enjoy the view from the top of Diamond Head and bring a flashlight........
Old May 4th, 2003, 06:42 AM

I've done them both in sandals (flip-flops actually) but would prefer to wear tennies back to the volcano.

I think the key here is wearing shoes that you are comfortable in and used to, so you can navigate the cracks and ridges without tripping or twisting an ankle.
Old May 15th, 2003, 11:24 AM

We always just hike in a pair of running shoes, the support and traction are good enough. Some muddy trails are SO slippery, it makes little difference. Just hang onto the tree branches. If you do Haleakala, they will get very dusty. You may need the extra pair, they will get pretty dirty everywhere but Diamond Head. An idea from our last trip to Kauai (VERY muddy trails): Wear a worn out pair on the muddy trails, then throw them away your last day.