Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to buy an IPOD for a good deal in NYC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!

Apart from Best Buy or Comp USA, where else can I buy an IPOD for a really good deal in Manhattan? I wanted a brand new one? Any other good, or cheaper technology stores in NYC/Manhattan? Would it be worthwhile to go somewhere in the other boroughs?

Thanks,

gtrekker2003
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 04:17 PM
lvk

When shopping for the iPods in our house, I found that all vendors generally price them the same. However, some vendors throw in promotional extras like a free case, armband or car charger. I would be suspicious of a very good deal, especially from some of those electronic stores, as it may be a refurbished model.

If you order it directly from Apple.com, you get free shipping and engraving.
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 04:24 PM

Generally, iPod pricing is fixed. They cost the same across the board, though sometimes different stores offer different bonuses (free shipping, for example). For example, noted NYC store J&R (www.jr.com) is selling the new 80 Gig iPod for $349 - the same as Bestbuy.com.

You said you want a brand new one - does that mean the generation that was just released a couple of weeks ago? Or is your only requirement that it be a new iPod, even if it's not the latest generation (there was only a minor improvement over the last generation)? If you would accept the previous generation iPod, you might have more luck getting a deal, if you can find one.

As an iPod owner who just had to have mine repaired, I would actually recommend purchasing from a reputable vendor, and you might want to consider an extended warranty, if it's reasonably priced. My 4th Gen iPod is less than two years old and required a new hard drive (it had run well until the last month). The repair bill would have been almost as much as replacing it, but it was completely covered by my extended warranty. Otherwise, I would have had to buy a new one (though I'd love a new one).
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 05:10 PM

I would shop all these stores - ad others - on the net first to see what they're offering. Sometimes they have special deals - and if nothig else it avoids wasting time shopping in the stores.

(When buying stuff like that we shop on-line, call the store to be sure they have exactly what we want and have them hold it so we can come and pick it up same day.)
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 06:22 PM

I would suggest B & H Photo on 9th Avenue. We came across it by accident...their ad was on the back of our Empire State Building ticket. They have unbelievable deals on MP3 players, cameras, computers, you name it. We bought a camera for $200 less than what it cost at home. We've already ordered stuff from them online. My husband's talking about going back to New York just to go to B & H!
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 06:26 PM

Whatever you do, buy the warranty. I'm on my third iPod in 2 years, thankfully covered by the warranty. The battery will die...
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 07:34 PM

If you have a friend in the military, get them to get it at the PX/BX.
If you are looking at the more costly models you can save all the sales tax and shipping is free.
AAFES service is awesome, return policy is generous AND they sell extended warranties.
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 07:35 PM

Oh, and the mail order AAFES can be returned at the stores which are at most military installations.
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 03:38 AM

I can't help you on where to buy one but if it ever needs a a repair, this company is great! They have repaired 2 of mine over the last couple of years.

http://www.ipodresq.com/menu.php
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 04:42 AM

loru100 - B&H is a great store. You don't have to go to NYC to order from them. They have an excellent web site, and an advatage of mail order on anything more than a few bucks is you don't pay sales tax (unless you're in NY state.)
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 05:51 AM
OO

I have nothing but good things to say about B&H as well. I ordered an Olympus digital camera through them online around mid December and had it in 4 days and at considerable savings.
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 07:58 AM

Just watch out for the Jewish holidays, when both the actual and online stores are closed.

And the B&H store in NYC is quite a sight to see.
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 09:00 AM
GoTravel

iPod's aren't discounted more than a dollar or two and agree with buying from a reputable dealer and buying the extended warranty.

I've also had my hard drive replaced in mine.

You are probably better buying it locally so the service department knows you.

One caveat, the original has a tendency to have the hard drive crash if you use it for running or anything bouncy. Purchase the Nano for running.

Old Oct 7th, 2006, 11:00 AM

Just checked the B&H website - they also have the new iPod for the same price as J&R and Bestbuy -- $349 for the 80G.

If you need a "deal" consider a different brand of mp3 player - others are just as good, and many have more functions. You pay for the Apple name -- though I ADORE my iPod and was lost without it while it was being repaired.
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 12:44 PM

If you are an educator (or even a PTA officer) or student or a government employee there is a 10% discount offered on the apple website. There is also free shipping and free engraving offered right now. I plan to order the 30 gig ($249 now plus 10% off) for my son for Christmas.
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 12:53 PM

Don't forget the new Apple store in Manhattan - even just to window shop!

Though I usually shop at J&R near City Hall for all my electronics (www.jr.com), or B&H near Penn Station as others have suggested...