Help with buying a watch in New York City

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:52 AM
rd1
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with buying a watch in New York City

Hi
I will be in New york city this weekend and wanted to buy a watch. I have been before and know they sell fake ones on the steet. I was more interested in a store that sells something better though not super pricey maybe under $80.00 I found the name of one store in Soho called Around the clock has anyone ever heard of it? Can anyone suggest any other stores for buy a nice watch at a reasonable price?
Thanks
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 11:11 AM

I don't know about how reasonable prices are these days, or what you'd find reasonable, but Tourneau (several locations, including on 5th Ave.) is one where you can find many different brands of watches for sale. Seemed to me when my watch broke in NYC one year & I was shopping for a replacement that many stores feature a single brand...NOT what I wanted. Anyway, I bought a Tourneau and every 2 years they do a free battery replacement. When I fell once & nearly destroyed the face of the watch from sidewalk contact (don't ask!), they were able to do amazing things (for a fee, of course, but it seemed reasonable to me)& it is running fine and looks like new. I'm not suggesting you buy one of their brand, necessarily, but I found them to be reputable & they've stood behind their product.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 11:41 AM

You won't find anything at the Tourneau store for $80.00. At that price point, you might check out Century 21 downtown. I've gotten a good deal on fashion watches there. You might also look for a sale at the major department stores -- Macy's or Bloomingdales. Or you could try the Swatch store at Grand Central.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 11:58 AM
rd1
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 12:25 PM

I agree. Swatch is probably your best bet. Or Macy's for brands like Fossil (although I'm not sure they are $80, they might be more).
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 02:16 PM

By your watch before you go to NYC. For the $80 you are wanting to spend check out your local Wal*Mart. You will get more bang for your buck. Then again I once bought a Rolex in Miami for $12.00...... Well, the guy said it was one!!!!!
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 03:09 PM

How about the watch counters at Macy's? You won't get the top designer watches, but there is a pretty good selection, and you can probably find something for $80 (definitely under $100).
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 04:11 PM

You might also try Fortunoff - at 55th and Fifth. They usually have a good selection of Swatch and similar casuale watches along with the real watch department.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 06:39 AM

What kind of watch did you have in mind and is this men's or women's? I
recently got my husband a great looking very thin Skagen's watch (retail about $150) at TJ Maxx for about $50. Century 21 also a good idea.

Watch World on Broadway & 79 st. has all prices but not discounted.
http://nymag.com/listings/stores/watch-world/index.html

I don't know if they'd have anything at that price, but Yeager Watch Co. at 5th & 47 st. sells good watches at discount.
http://www.yaegerwatch.com/company.html
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 07:51 AM

My husband recently treated himself to a new watch in that price range (also a Skagen). He found a model he liked at Macy's on sale. I googled it and found a better deal on the internet. He saved abbout $20 (including a ny shipping) over the Macy's sale price.

I think to get a 'deal', teh discount stores like TJ MAxx, Filene's, Loehmans and Century 21 are you best bet. But to check out selection, the counters at Macy's are much easier to deal with.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 08:05 AM

Little known and shhhhhh, please don't tell are the "wholesale stores" on Broadway from 30th St to 17th ST. LOTS of stores sell watches and good prices. I got a 14K gold Geneve watch there for around $200. So you might hit some of the big stores and then head down broadway and see if you can find a better deal.

Have a fun time while you are here.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 08:09 AM

Just a word of caution...don't buy from a table on the street if you want a quality watch. They are cheap and from a distance look ok, and they may even work for a long time. But they are not the high quality you may be looking for. Lots of good suggestions on here of where to get a watch for your price.

Remember -- you get what you pay for!

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 08:22 AM

Similar to RedRocks, our son's friend bought a Rolex on their SR. trip to NYC. He was all thrilled with it, showing it around and finally said, "If this is still running tomorrow I'm gonna buy another".
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 09:18 AM

The Metropolitan Museum of Art has some fun watches--a few styles with changing color wheels, one with the Statue of Liberty on the face and the Empire State and Flatiron buildings on the band (images from classic postcards). Check out the museum store or their museum store outlet in Macy's. There also used to be an outlet opposite the 42nd St library--not sure if it's still there.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 10:47 AM

Oh, there's another scam. On that same class trip one of son's friends bought at stereo or something like that. The one on the table looked great and it was a great deal. Got the shrink sealed box back to the hotel, unpacked-----a brick.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 12:06 PM

Have you tried www.shopnbc.com ? They have some terrific watches in your price range because they have been discounted. These watches come with some type of guarantee.

You can also try overstock.com

Don't forget that there is an almost 9% sales tax in New York.

Not to be a snob, but it is hard to buy a really good watch anymore for under $80. You may want to spend more to get a watch that will last you a lifetime.

I know a lot about watches, as I am in the antique trade.

Old Sep 28th, 2006, 07:05 PM
rd1
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips and ideas! I probably should just stick to the movado company store near me when it comes to good watches in that price range. I have been able to get 2 esq watches by movado for under $80.00 and they have some of the museum dial watches for under $250.00. I will still definately check out some of the stores though.
Thanks again to all who replied