When to start booking for Oregon Trip?

Feb 26th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

When to start booking for Oregon Trip?

We're planning to go the second week of September (week after Labor Day). Except for the Bandon Resort, we're looking to stay in the usual Radisson, Best Western type of places.

Do they get filled up quickly? Or are there so many, I can wait till the summer to start booking?

Thanks.
Feb 26th, 2008, 09:52 AM
mms

That time of year, yes you can wait. Unless you are talking about the coast, in which case that is still high season and so I would book that now. But for downtown Portland, or central OR, etc then you are fine to wait.
Feb 26th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks mms.

So I guess anything on the coast, I should book now?

For Portland, I was just thinking of the Radisson close by the airport? Seems like an ok place.
Feb 26th, 2008, 10:13 AM

How long will you be IN Portland?
By the airport would be ok for one night before driving out to the Coast but for more than that, you should stay IN town.
The airport hotels are only good for being there for an early flight..there is nothing really around the area .. downtown Portland is only about 20 - 30 min to the airport.
Are you renting a car at the airport?

Coast hotels have 2 night minimums as well as being booked through September..so book early-downtown hotels I would suggest booking June or July..we wanted to stay at the Monaco in town so we booked as soon as we made our plans..no reason not to have that one detail already taken care of .
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:04 AM

Yep, like Scarlett says, you'd want to stay in downtown Portland. I've read of several visitors who've bid on rooms through Priceline, and ended up in the city's better hotels for under $100.

From the other thread, it appears you won't be staying on the north coast. Not sure, but I doubt you'll find minimum stay requirements on the central coast, be it in Newport or Yachats. Still, I'd book coastal stays as soon as you firm up the itinerary.
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Wow, I just called Bandon, and they only had a couple rooms left! Booked um. Boy, they fill up fast!
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

BB, I'll probably take your advice and do either Newport or Yachats. I'll be booking something shortly! YIKES, Bandon was close....
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Scarlett, BB, any nice downtown hotels you can recommend?

We'll be landing at night, so is the drive into downtown easy or safe? I know some areas in most downtown sections can be dicey, and I'd hate to take a wrong turn late at night trying to find the hotel.

Feb 26th, 2008, 11:39 AM
mms

Don't worry about landing at night. The airport is not far, only about 15 minutes away, and a straight shot. Not sure of your budget, but with the Bandon thing I am guessing you would want a nicer place. The Hotel Monaco would be my suggestion. Even though we live here, we have stayed in downtown several times and this is where we almost always stay. Great hotel, great location, very nice staff, good restaurant on site, and very large rooms. Have also stayed in a suite at the Heathman, but much prefer the Monaco. Pretty much anywhere in the heart of downtown near either of these hotels is a good area.
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:40 AM

Hi
Downtown is very nice and mostly safe. You will take a cab to the hotel?
It will be a quick easy drive and the airport is great, one of my favorites in the US.
If you are driving, don't worry, it is almost a straight ride from the airport to the hotels area of SW Portland..you just cross over the Morrison Bridge and there you are!

I have my favorite hotels and will tell you about others too...
My fave is the Monaco. A Kimpton Hotel, complimentary coffee in the am, wine hour in the late afternoon, lobby living room with comfortable sofas and a great fireplace..great staff, service and rooms.
We always stay in a King Suite on a high floor.

You can get something to eat from the Red Star Tavern connected to the hotel..wonderful restaurant..they supply room service too.
This is not a budget hotel

Then there is the Vintage Plaza, sister Kimpton Hotel..
The Hotel Lucia, European style, charming, great Thai restaurant there, Typhoon.
There is the Westin , the Paramount and in the NorthWest part of town ( boutiques, charm galore) is the Inn at Northrup Station.
Eclectic, funky, different..great location.

Look at www.POVA.com
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks mms.

I'll check out the Monaco and the others you suggested.
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Hi Scarlett,

Thanks for the great info. I'll check them out. Seems like this Monaco is a local favorite.

Looks like we'll be staying about 3 ni. in Portland before heading down the coast. I will be renting a car, but it sounds like the drive to downtown is pretty tame. Good to hear!
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:16 PM

Did you book a tee time? And, does the other part(s) of the "we" play golf too? If not, I've got a suggestion or two.

Not to repeat what mms and Scarlett have already mentioned, I'd just say that if you do the Priceline thing, you'll likely end up in the Benson. Good location, and safe; where most dignitaries stay when they come to town. And, I have to plug Hotel De Luxe, where my wife and I spent an anniversary weekend a year or two ago.
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:28 PM

The Heathman Hotel in downtown Portland is very nice, we had the Symphony Suite there, we enjoyed a wonderful dinner at the restaurant and brunch the next morning was very good, also. Try the POVA website for booking downtown Portland hotels, they offer complimentary breakfast and parking.

Enjoy your travels and I hope you have a wonderful time! ***kim***
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:51 PM
mms

If you call the hotels directly, they will usually offer the exact same deals that POVA offers. When we stayed at the Heathman this fall, we booked directly and got the free parking and breakfast. We also had a Symphony Suite, but honestly we were disappointed in it. The rooms at the Monaco are much larger, the service better, and much less pretentious, IMO. The Monaco is a Kimpton property, so check their websites. They have some good deals under their "Hot Dates Great Rates" and can be a steal!
Feb 26th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again all. This is some GREAT info.

BB, I did book two tee times. One was in the morning, but the other one was around 1:00. Ideally, I wanted to tee off early both days, but I can't complain. And it's only "me" though my wife may walk along (they said they allow that, that was pretty cool)....