Kaanapali or Wailea in Maui

Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Kaanapali or Wailea in Maui

We are not sure where we want to stay in Maui. We REALLY don't like over commercialized places, and we are considering either Kaanapali (in the Kaanapali Beach Hotel) or Wailea. The only catch is that we don't want to spend $500 per night for the mega hotels (four seasons etc.). We found some reasonably priced hotels in Wailea (like the Wailea Ekolu Village) but they are not on the beach like the ones in Kaanapali. Any comments? BTW, we are coming with a 6 months infant so we would obviously be less mobile

Also, from previous reviews I got the feeling that Kaanapali is really commercialized (like Waikiki)while Wailea beaches are more relaxed. Do you agree?

Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:05 PM

I like the Kaanapali area, although it is a bit busier than Wailea. You may want to consider renting a condo. I much prefer having the extra room and it's much less expensive. With a baby, I'd find it tough to be in a hotel room! We've gotten our last two Hawaii condos (one in Kaanapali and one on Hawaii) through Craig's list and were very happy with them.

Margy

Feb 24th, 2008, 01:11 PM
dmlove

I haven't been in Wailea in a long time, so I can't comment on that area. But although Kaanapali is likely more "commercialized" than Wailea, it's nothing like Waikiki. In Waikiki, you have many hotels, some on the beach some not, plus the main road (parallel to the beach) is entirely commercial - restaurants, shops, shopping centers, etc. Kaanapali Beach, on the other hand, is a row of hotels and condos along the beautiful beach, but the only commercial project is Whaler's Village Shopping Center, which is mid-way along the beach. It's nice because you can walk along the beach on a paved path (which means you can use the stroller). When you do want "more commercial", you just drive 3 miles or so into Lahaina, which is the closest town, and is more densely commericial.

Feb 24th, 2008, 01:33 PM
TAW

Just so you are not confused...Wailea Ekolu Village is a condo resort complex...not a hotel. Depending on how(ie from owner or agency) you rent the unit you may or may not get daily maid service (if that's important to you).
I think you'll find it split between people who prefer Wailea vs. Kaanapali. Whichever you choose you will have a great time.
Feb 24th, 2008, 01:55 PM

I'd suggest staying in Kihei in a condo.
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:05 PM

If you are considering Wailea Ekolu, I'd suggest you stay at the Wailea Ekahi instead. Ekahi is in closer proximity to the beach and you could take the stroller and walk to the beach. Ekolu is a bit farther from the beach. If you want something close to the beach that isn't as expensive, then look in Kihei. Many hotels and condos in Kihei are either on the beachfront or across the highway from the beaches and are not as expensive as the Wailea resort district. Wailea, like Kaanpali are designated as "resorts" and are higher priced. Resorts are controlled developments with strict zoning requirements. I'm not sure about what you feel commercialized is, but both neither are built-up or congested like Waikiki (which isn't tgõ©Žically a resort district).
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:21 PM

What about the Maui Prince in Makena, just south of Wailea? It certainly was not as expensive as the resorts in Wailea, but is right nearby and certainly not near Kaanapali.