Reload this Page >

When does the airfare go down???

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2002, 11:23 AM
mkmlls

Right now, a flight from lax to kona or maui is 600 per person -- that is insane! Anyone know when the rates go down??

Old May 29th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Einstein

June 27, 2002 at 8:38 A.M., EST.

Old May 29th, 2002, 11:33 AM
xxx

Rates will go down right after you buy.

Old May 29th, 2002, 11:36 AM
ugh

I feel your pain mkmlls. I can't find a decent price from Northern CA to Maui either!

Old May 29th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Sarah

In the past two years they have gone down in May. I Think 911 costs the airlines too much business and I would hop on a $600 fare, that is a good rate direct into Honolulu but into Kona not so bad at all. What do you normally pay in summer. I feel lucky having snagged an $800 direct flight into Lihue. It fluctuates now between $824 and $930. Last year I only saw the fares dip down below $1000 from the east coast for one week in May.

I know I could have done better with a link in through Honolulu this year but for now I will feel like a N.S Kauai resident and just bask in the no HNL connection.

Old May 29th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Sarah

P.S $800 flight leaves from SFO not east coast. I am using a flight coupon from a trip I cancelled 9/14 to fly out to SFO from JFK.

Mkmlls. isn't Hawaii worth $600. I paid that from the east coast in 1993 considering inflation it probably meant to me then from the East Coast what it means to you now from the West coast.

Old May 29th, 2002, 11:49 AM
mkmlls

What's up Einstein? that is pretty darn specific!
Laura (mkmlls)

Old May 29th, 2002, 11:52 AM
mkmlls

Sarah, small world! I was flying 9/14 as well -- we cancelled and were given full refunds -- now I wish I had taken a credit.

Old May 29th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Einstein

Einstein, like Karnak, knows all.

Old May 29th, 2002, 12:01 PM
ilovehawaii

Sarah, I see Suntrips has cheap flights from Oakland On May 31 round trip is listed for $279. I don't know when you need to fly but you can check them out at http://www.suntrips.com/index.html or call 1 (800) suntrips.

Old May 29th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Sarah

Actually it was for Thanksgiving. I live in NYC and did not feel like indulging in this way (Paris) and waited too long and actually only had a choice of credit voucher and change fee.

Was incredibly handy though, like having a stock certificate only more valuable. Great thing to purchase and set aside when you have money, use when you are ready to vacation it feels less expensive. All an illusion but certainly less painfull.

You are out in California yes? Do you know anything about cheap tickets? They don't seem to be offering great deals anymore. A friend here is having a heck of a time getting through to use a voucher she has with them.

Old May 29th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Sarah

Yeah I am flying in August that is why I could not find those fare but thanks IlovesHawaii.

Old May 29th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Laura

Hi Sarah,
Funny how you mention that -- Cheaptickets does not seem to have the deals it used to. I was just checking out washington dc and they are way higher than travelocity. A shame, I have gotten many a deal from them in the past.
laura

Old May 29th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Susan

Laura, be sure to check out the Hawaiian Air website periodically as well. They are adding flights out of Ontario and may offer discounted tickets at first. We got a great fare for June of $385 by flying out of Sacramento, not our closest airport, but because they just added the flight it was discounted.

Old May 29th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Susan

That's Ontario, California, for anyone who's curious.

Old May 29th, 2002, 02:27 PM
Patty

Also try Pleasant Hawaiian out of LAX (service on ATA) and check the new cities that Aloha (Burbank) and Hawaiian (Ontario) are starting to serve. There may be introductory specials. You didn't mention when you are going. I've never paid more than $340 for a flight to HNL or $420 to any of the other islands from the LA area, but I usually travel between Feb thru June. Hope this helps.

Old May 29th, 2002, 02:32 PM
Annette

Try expedia.com, I have gotten great rates from that website, start looking now, prices may go up.

Old May 29th, 2002, 02:38 PM
sister

Seems the prices are high right now everywhere. I say let's wait a couple of weeks. I have a feeling they will go down when the airlines realize their planes are empty. Give us a sale!!!

Old May 29th, 2002, 03:22 PM
holly

Last week I got a rate of $350 on American Airlines through a travel agent from Lax to Maui. The listed price on the AA website for this exact flight was $665.
Our flights are for March 2003. Try a large travel agency.

Old May 29th, 2002, 03:59 PM
Cf

Airfares always go down right after I have bought a non refundable ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -