Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   When does the airfare go down??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/when-does-the-airfare-go-down-226367/)

mkmlls May 29th, 2002 11:23 AM

When does the airfare go down???

Right now, a flight from lax to kona or maui is 600 per person -- that is insane! Anyone know when the rates go down??<BR>

Einstein May 29th, 2002 11:28 AM

June 27, 2002 at 8:38 A.M., EST.

xxx May 29th, 2002 11:33 AM

Rates will go down right after you buy.

ugh May 29th, 2002 11:36 AM

I feel your pain mkmlls. I can't find a decent price from Northern CA to Maui either!

Sarah May 29th, 2002 11:45 AM

In the past two years they have gone down in May. I Think 911 costs the airlines too much business and I would hop on a $600 fare, that is a good rate direct into Honolulu but into Kona not so bad at all. What do you normally pay in summer. I feel lucky having snagged an $800 direct flight into Lihue. It fluctuates now between $824 and $930. Last year I only saw the fares dip down below $1000 from the east coast for one week in May. <BR><BR>I know I could have done better with a link in through Honolulu this year but for now I will feel like a N.S Kauai resident and just bask in the no HNL connection.

Sarah May 29th, 2002 11:49 AM

P.S $800 flight leaves from SFO not east coast. I am using a flight coupon from a trip I cancelled 9/14 to fly out to SFO from JFK. <BR><BR>Mkmlls. isn't Hawaii worth $600. I paid that from the east coast in 1993 considering inflation it probably meant to me then from the East Coast what it means to you now from the West coast.

mkmlls May 29th, 2002 11:49 AM

What's up Einstein? that is pretty darn specific!<BR>Laura (mkmlls)

mkmlls May 29th, 2002 11:52 AM

Sarah, small world! I was flying 9/14 as well -- we cancelled and were given full refunds -- now I wish I had taken a credit.

Einstein May 29th, 2002 11:56 AM

Einstein, like Karnak, knows all.

ilovehawaii May 29th, 2002 12:01 PM

Sarah, I see Suntrips has cheap flights from Oakland On May 31 round trip is listed for $279. I don't know when you need to fly but you can check them out at http://www.suntrips.com/index.html or call 1 (800) suntrips.

Sarah May 29th, 2002 12:03 PM

Actually it was for Thanksgiving. I live in NYC and did not feel like indulging in this way (Paris) and waited too long and actually only had a choice of credit voucher and change fee. <BR><BR>Was incredibly handy though, like having a stock certificate only more valuable.:):) Great thing to purchase and set aside when you have money, use when you are ready to vacation it feels less expensive. All an illusion but certainly less painfull.<BR><BR>You are out in California yes? Do you know anything about cheap tickets? They don't seem to be offering great deals anymore. A friend here is having a heck of a time getting through to use a voucher she has with them.

Sarah May 29th, 2002 12:05 PM

Yeah I am flying in August that is why I could not find those fare but thanks IlovesHawaii.

Laura May 29th, 2002 12:22 PM

Hi Sarah, <BR>Funny how you mention that -- Cheaptickets does not seem to have the deals it used to. I was just checking out washington dc and they are way higher than travelocity. A shame, I have gotten many a deal from them in the past.<BR>laura

Susan May 29th, 2002 12:27 PM

Laura, be sure to check out the Hawaiian Air website periodically as well. They are adding flights out of Ontario and may offer discounted tickets at first. We got a great fare for June of $385 by flying out of Sacramento, not our closest airport, but because they just added the flight it was discounted.

Susan May 29th, 2002 12:28 PM

That's Ontario, California, for anyone who's curious.

Patty May 29th, 2002 02:27 PM

Also try Pleasant Hawaiian out of LAX (service on ATA) and check the new cities that Aloha (Burbank) and Hawaiian (Ontario) are starting to serve. There may be introductory specials. You didn't mention when you are going. I've never paid more than $340 for a flight to HNL or $420 to any of the other islands from the LA area, but I usually travel between Feb thru June. Hope this helps.

Annette May 29th, 2002 02:32 PM

Try expedia.com, I have gotten great rates from that website, start looking now, prices may go up.

sister May 29th, 2002 02:38 PM

Seems the prices are high right now everywhere. I say let's wait a couple of weeks. I have a feeling they will go down when the airlines realize their planes are empty. Give us a sale!!!

holly May 29th, 2002 03:22 PM

Last week I got a rate of $350 on American Airlines through a travel agent from Lax to Maui. The listed price on the AA website for this exact flight was $665.<BR>Our flights are for March 2003. Try a large travel agency.

Cf May 29th, 2002 03:59 PM

Airfares always go down right after I have bought a non refundable ticket.