Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite restaurant in Boston?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning to take my brother and his wife out for dinner on a Saturday in March to celebrate their birthdays. We are looking for a place with great food as well as a lovely ambience conducive to conversation and relaxation.

We would be interested in hearing what your own favorite restaurant is in Boston (or Cambridge) for such an occasion? Thank you for your help!
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 07:08 AM

If you love the best italian food in BOSTON try LA FAMIGLIA GIORGIOS on Newbury street. Fantastic and we know about good food. We're from Belgium. Paul
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

ttt!
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 09:32 AM

Hammersely's Bistro, Aquataine, Spire (all in Boston); East Coast Grill (Cambridge).
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 09:50 AM
cw

There are so many good restaurants, that it's hard to choose without knowing what you want.

Recently I've enjoyed meals at Sibling Rivalry in the South End (the menu is interesting, the food excellent, and the tables far enough apart to allow for conversation), at Lala Rohk (Persian food on Beacon Hill), and Chez Henri in Cambridge (basic standby's with a French/Latin twist).

All are nice for food and conversation.

CW
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 12:00 PM

The Elephant Walk on Beacon Street.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 12:57 PM

Abe and Louies for steak and swordfish - yummy!!!
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 01:16 PM

I love all of monadnocks suggestions, and we recently took friends to Spires for their anniversary and could actually hear each other talk - and there is an attached, but small, bar if you are interested in a before or after dinner drink or coffee, and valet parking if you choose. Hammersley's is an all time favorite, also valet available which is nice - and while I haven't been to Sibling Rivalry, our neighbors raved about the food and that they could also 'talk' - I keep hearing about this Famiglia Giorgio's but haven't been....it's going to be my next try.

Another one we enjoy is Rialto in Cambridge, parking is easy and we have always been able to talk there, and enjoy a cocktail in the bar if interested.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 06:24 PM

Had a great meal and good ambiance at Hamersley's Bistro.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

CW, thanks for mentioning Chez Henri and Sibling Rivalry. Will look into both. I have often heard that SR can be noisy and crowded which didn't seem like a relaxing place to be although the food is good...can you say more about this restaurant?

Also, can those of you who have rec Hamersley's (Monadnock, escargot, AuntAnnie), please say more about why it's a favorite of yours? We tried it many years ago, felt it was OK not great, but willing to go back.

Lastly, what's your feeling about Sandrine's in Cambridge?

Many thanks for all of your input so far! I love getting your recommendations!
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 05:52 AM

Excelsior was very nice for a recent birthday celebration. Had a table overlooking the Common and a delicious meal.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 06:01 AM

I like everything about Hammersley's, particularly the food - even their chicken is amazingly delicious, so I also know when not in the mood for different or adventurous, I can always have a great meal - I have always had great experiences with service, friendliness, and I love their chocolate martinis....but every restaurant mentioned here is fabulous - and Excelsior is another great choice -

I think every restaurant at some point gets noisy, by the time every table is filled and the next people are waiting, and the bar full, etc, it can't be helped to a point.

I don't know if you want to be able to talk, but have noise, or really have quiet, which my experience has been you are more apt to get in a , oh, how to say this be/c I don't want to say stuffy, but conservative quieter place? I'm not expressing this right - ....not enough coffeee.... I think quieter are places like Aujourd hui at the 4 seasons, Clio's, even Spire - but I think all the mentioned places are quiet enough to talk and not feel like you have to yell and conducive to conversation but have a little life to them.

We could always talk in Hammersley's, in fact, it is where we always took my mother in law for her birthday because not only did she love it, but she could hear and her hearing wasn't the best.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 06:19 AM

L'Espelier, L'Espelier, L'Espelier.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 06:31 AM

And it's even better if it's spelled correctly: L'Espalier, L'Espalier, L'Espalier.
(never did very well in French class...)
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your continued replies and feedback! I will most certainly look into your recommendations for a place with great food and lively ambience.

Yes, L'Espalier is one of Boston's best. I love my brother and his wife, but not that much (jk)! But will return there for another special occasion.