Boston restaurants

Old Oct 4th, 2013, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston restaurants

Any we must try. American, French, Brazilian. Greek or Chinese . 2 days / 3 nights in Boston. Simply not into fish!
Cheers
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 07:12 AM

It is a shame you don't do fish because it is the classic Boston food, both at the high end and at the low (NoName Restaurant or the Calamari Café in the North End.

Your budget? Casual or more formal? Noisy scene or quiet and restful?

Interim recommendations. some for food, some for price, some for the experience

Taverna de Haro (Tapas) on Beacon Street at the St Mary's stop on the MBTA Green Line C route

Turkish Family Restaurant on Washington Street about three blocks from the Brookline Village stop on the MBTA Green Line D Route

Petit Robert (French) many locations owned by different members of the Robert family but all sorts of classic French bistro food in a classic bistro setting (or brasserie in Downtown Crossing)

Lala Rokh on Beacon Hill is classic Persian in a lovely setting.

Mr Bartley's Burger Cottage in Harvard Square is brilliant. Hamburger concoctions named after the newsworthy. Massive portions, quirky, noisy, strange rules, no alcohol. Drink a Lime Rickey.

Hamersley's Bistro in the South End has been serving roast chicken for, what, thirty years? to the satisfaction of everyone who has ordered it.

The menu at the Boston Sail Loft on the Waterfront has been exactly the same classic American bar food (with lots of more ambitious daily specials) since the early 1980's. Something for every taste, including a chicken-apple-walnut salad that was almost all my son would eat in high school. Popular prices. It goes in and out of favor as a bar, so it may or may not be crowded.

Mama Maria, on North Square in the North End near the Paul Revere house is the best North Italian restaurant in Boston. Formal, expensive, you will need a reservation. Worth it.

Both the veal and the eggplant parmesan at Artu, just around the corner from Mama Maria and a world away in price, is ethereal. It floats off the plate.
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Wow! that's excellent information Ackislander. Thank you.

(FYI Casual, Quiet & restful, $? Any up to 4* (?) I guess)
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 01:12 PM

norfolk:
I see you have not been to Italy..therefore, don't miss Boston's North End Italian offerings....I agree on Mama Mia..risottos are also superb on their menu.,,and Michael's for pastry! Don't count calories..you'd need an adding machine.
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 07:09 PM

I think the most interesting and innovative food in the Boston area is all found across the river in Cambridge. These are all a bit pricy (I live in the burbs, so when we head into town, we tend to go for occasions and expensive places)

Oleana -- this maybe 4* dining. The flavors are Mediterranean/middle eastern, but with local ingredients. One of my favorite places anywhere.

Craigie on Main -- arguably the best food in the Boston/Cambridge area, although some may find it too overwrought. I think the food is excellent, and the bar top notch, but sometimes the service can be pretentious.

Bondir -- another of the newer "farm to table" places. I didn't really expect to like the food here. Its done in a lighter style, lots of vegetables, not a lot of fat or cream. I found it wonderful.

Puritan & Co -- this is the newest, and getting all the buzz. The Chef was nominated for a couple of James Beard awards. More of the farm-to-table stuff...everything fresh, everything local. I just went a few weeks ago and thought it was very good.

I second AckIslanders recommendation of Hammersleys. Its a favorite of mine. I'm not as big a fan of Petit Robert, If I were looking for classic French in downtown Boston I prefer La Voile on Newbury street. A notch up in price is Deuxave, which I thought was wonderful.