What to visit in South West Utah

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a vacation that starts off in Phoenix then to New Mexico and back to Arizona Staying at Lake Powell before entering Utah en route to Las Vegas. I have looked at Bryc and Zion and dont believe that I have sufficient time to visit both, which is best or both a must see or is there a better area to visit? I have currently allowed 1 day to get from Page to St george/Vegas is this insufficient and if so where should I aim to stay?
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 12:08 AM

Both parks are completely different.Bryce is unique.They are not far from one another so if you could at least take one day per park to get an idea would be worth it.First Bryce then Zion on your way to St George and L.Vegas.Much more interesting,in my opinion than Lake Powell.Paul
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 03:12 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with tovarich.

They are both completely different.

Zion is beautiful but there are many beautiful places. Bryce is different and one of a kind.

Some people make the mistake of going to Bryce, visiting only some of the viewpoints due to lack of time and decide it was "ok". Unless you hike down you're missing the place.

If you leave Page early in the morning you can probably get to Bryce early afternoon. Go directly to Sunset Point and hike down the Navajo Loop and up the Queen's Garden trail to Sunrise point. Then 1/2 mile back to Sunset Point. That's probably 2-3 hours. Then drive over to the Natural Bridge for the one really different viewpoint.

Just before sunset go back to Sunset Point and hike down the closed side of Navajo Loop to the rockslide. Then back up for sunset.

Get up early and drive to Bryce Point to see the sun come up and bathe the place is early sun.

Leave Bryce for Zion by 8AM and you can be there by 9:30. Hike some combination of Canyon Overlook at the East entrance, Middle and/or Upper Emerald Pools and/or Riverside Walk. They are each different and worth the time.

You should be able to get to St George that evening.

You can see my trip photos at:

www.travelwalks.com

Select Bryce, Zion, etc on the lower right of the page.

If you want to see the sunrise at Bryce you would want to stay in-park or at farthest at Ruby's. Otherwise you can stay at Mt Carmel Junction which is 3/4 of the way to Zion or even in Springdale.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 06:37 AM

If you only have one day to get from Page, AZ to St. George, Utah, then I would just do Zion since it is on the way. If you try to squeeze in Bryce, then all you will be doing is spending time in the vehicle.

Both parks would mean driving 285 miles and about 6 1/2 hours of just driving time.

Just Page, AZ to St. George via Zion would be 165 miles and about 3 1/2 hours driving time.

Utahtea
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies I guess that both is the answer and an extra night I am staying at Lake Powell as I dont want to drive more than 200 miles per day. Am i correct in assuming that Byce and Zion and the drive from Page will give a gppd but short view of the best of Utah (been to Salt Lake city ) or should I be looking at other locations en rote vegas
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 09:19 AM

"The best of Utah".....not
hardly. Bryce and Zion are,
without a doubt, a great examples
of what Utah has to offer but, you'll have only scratched the surface.

Honestly, take utahtea's advice and just go to Zion unless you add another night. Save Bryce for when you're ready to commit to a longer tour of Utah.

I have an idea for a slogan for Utah...
"Utah, everthing you hoped Arizona would be."
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 02:12 PM

Peterboy...I like your slogan for Utah!

Utahtea