What to see and do in Seattle?

Mar 6th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Original Poster

What to see and do in Seattle?

We're thinking about going to Seattle in may. Maybe drive into Vancouver. What do you recommend seeing and doing while over there for about a week? We're in our late 30's with no kids.
Mar 7th, 2008, 04:24 AM

Pike Place Market
Space Needle
Snoqualmie Falls
Cruise on the Sound
Mariners game
Mar 7th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the list What's the weather like in late May?
Mar 7th, 2008, 08:08 AM

Could be really pleasant, could be cool and rainy. Bring layers. Summer doesn't usually hit until after the 4th of July, if that helps you.
Mar 7th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Don

Highs average in the mid-to-upper 60s, lows around 50. Probably some drizzle at times, although we average less than 2 inches of rain for the month of May.
Mar 7th, 2008, 08:18 AM

May sometimes has better weather than June.

Summer starts in Seattle after July 4.

Attractions: http://www.frommers.com/destinations...2_indattr.html
Mar 7th, 2008, 08:32 AM

To the above list add:

Ballard locks (fish ladders included)

Rent a kayak at the Aqua Verde at the UW and head towards Lake Union. When you return, eat NW Mex at the Aqua Verde (This if fun even if the weather is less than optimal - We went kayaking in Sitka AK in the rain and it was wonderful)

Visit West Seattle. Rent bikes and ride along Alki Beach. Great views of Seattle and Puget Sound. Eat at the Alki Bakery for light food or the Phoenicia for dinner.

Take a trip to the Olympic Peninsula visiting Hurricane Ridge if the weather is good. OR, on your way to Vancouver, visit the San Juan Islands. Take the ferry from Anacortes. Stay at Friday Harbor and spend a day or two exploring the islands. If you like bicycling, you could go on a day trip to Lopez Is and rent bikes there. The San Juans are in the "rain shadow" cast by the Olympic Mts and are likely to have better weather.

Lots to do. Weather will be cool, possibly sunny, but most likely on and off clouds and sprinkles.
Mar 7th, 2008, 08:33 AM

Oops. Just reread your post. I thought you had a week in Seattle and were then going to Vancouver...Seeing you have a week total, I'd say: Seattle 3 days, Vancouver 3 days. You could still stick in a San Juan Island for one night.
Mar 9th, 2008, 07:26 AM

We spent 10 days in Seattle/Victoria/Vancouver last
summer. Does and don'ts:

Does - 1) Pikes Market
2) Olympic National Park
3)Hiram Chittenden locks and salmon run 4)Boeing 5)Seattle Art museum
6) Victoria - Buchart Gardens, Royal Museum and afternoon tea
&)in Vancouver- Stanley Park (eat dinner there)
Dont's - 1)Space needle(waste)2)Gastown 3)underground tour(poor)
4)Grouse Mountain (not worth it)
Mar 9th, 2008, 09:45 AM

additions for Seattle:
observation deck at Smith Tower
ferry ride to Bainbridge
Olympic Sculpture Park

Mar 9th, 2008, 10:05 AM

We went there last May. Stayed at the Watertown Hotel for 2 nights and absolutely loved it. Ranked #1 on tripadvisor. They even provide FREE bike's and since the weather was nice we biked down to the waterfront and followed the park path from end to end. At lunchtime we locked up the bikes at the marketplace and walked around for an hour or two. The hotel is in the university section with lots of great little places to eat.
Biking back is uphill but easily accomplished.

We then ferried over to Victoria on V.I. and loved it there too! That town is just way too charming...!
They have an old rail line that has been converted into a bike trail.We followed that up for 10 miles, had lunch, biked back. Excellent!

Coming back we went to this great little Bavarian town located 2 hours East of Seattle. Really great hiking just outside of town, along a wonderful mountain river, if you like hiking.
pete
Mar 9th, 2008, 10:37 AM

Go whale watching, it was a grat day on the water- incredible scenery and we got to see two pods of orcas. We left from a local north of everett, well worth the drive.
Mar 10th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

You've given me a lot of great ideas, thanks! I will definitely have to go over to VictoriaIt sounds beautiful.
Mar 10th, 2008, 03:33 PM

If you go to Victoria and if the weather is fantastic and if you hear of a magical place called Tolfino (3 hours northwest of Victoria) and if you learn from the weather authorities that there is a high pressure system and superb weather patterns over Tolfino and if you have (or make) the time to visit this really fantastic place then I can only say 1 thing. Go.
No "if's" about it!
Mar 10th, 2008, 04:04 PM

Tofino not Tolfino (no L) ;-). And it's more like 5 hours from Victoria. But yes, it is magical although it doesn't sound like the OP is going to have enough time.
Mar 10th, 2008, 04:15 PM

Thanks for the correction NWWanderer. If I'm not mistaken you provided us with some excellent advice for our trip last May. Believe me when I tell you that it was not wasted! You're right, at least 5 hours. Especially with lunch at that country restaurant where the goats are eating up on the grass roof. That was fantastic & Great food too. Then the 1 hour stop in that beautiful old growth forest along the way for a quick hike. Cheers!