Broadway Show Advice

Search

Broadway Show Advice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2008, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broadway Show Advice

My husband and I are planning a trip to New York City in April and would like to attend a show. There are so many to choose from, so we're having trouble making a decision!

Some of our interests: Wicked, Mama Mia and Curtains. Opinions on these or recommendations of others we should consider?

I've seen Phantom, Les Mis, Lion King and Hairspray. For some reason, we don't have much interest in Rent or Ave. Q.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 11:04 AM

I totally enjoyed Mamma Mia. As I was advised, so I'll pass it along to you. BE SURE TO STAY PAST THE CURTAIN CALLS AT THE END. That is the best part and many people try to beat the crowd and leave and miss it
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 04:17 PM

You're probably too late for Wicked unless you want to use a scalper. Check broadwaybox.com to see which shows are offering advance discounts - you can probably get Mama Mia, not sure about Curtains. Don;t know why you wouldn;t want Rent - since it's a great (classic) show - and closing in June - but, chacun a son gout.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 04:42 PM

I saw Mamma Mia twice and loved it. I bought the CD, even though I already had ABBA's Greatest Hits CD.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 05:04 PM

My husband and I were definitely in the minority the night we saw Mamma Mia--didn't care for it at all. We thought it was contrived and manipulative.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 05:19 PM

Have seen both Mamma Mia and Wicked. If you can get tickets I would definitely choose Wicked.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 05:32 PM

Curtains is a very entertaining show. Great cast. You will have fun.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:05 AM

Have you considered the revival of A Chorus Line? I saw this last fall, along with Curtains, and while I enjoyed them both, would definitely pick ACL -- it was my favorite thing I've seen on Broadway in a while, and we go fairly often. I would also suggest Spring Awakening and Jersey Boys. Have fun!

Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:19 AM

Without telling us about yourselves (~age or what you've liked in the past) there's no way to judge who's taste will be more similar to yours.

Wicked is still a hot ticket and never discounted. It's true, prob. too late for April although if you really wanted to go and budget is not an issue, you could try the sold out section of broadwaybox.com or the agent www.applause-tickets.com who often have good seats at not too inflated prices (but they will be over face value).

Curtains has not gotten raves nor does it have very memorable music. I think of Mama Mia as more of a girls show unless husband is very into ABBA music.

What about the revival of Gypsy with Patti Lupone? It's on discount thru April on broadwaybox.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:40 AM

abram, no offense, but OF COURSE Mama Mia is "contrived and manipulative". There is not one thing in it that will even pretend to teach lessons, make you think, or give cause for serious discussion. It is nothing but a "feel good" silly musical which is "contrived" to be pure entertainment and which "manipulates" the audience into wanting to stand up at the end and join in the singing. That's all. King Lear or even Phantom of the Opera or Les Miz-- it ain't.

Audie79, all three of those you mention are mainly "entertainment" musicals. Curtains if fun if you like making fun of older musicals -- kind of a lot of inside theatre jokes about producers, critics, leading actresses, etc. Wicked is still a hard ticket to get especially if you like good seats. Mama Mia is, as mentioned above, a silly feel good musical.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:05 AM

I agree that Gypsy would be a good bet, and if you want something with a little more thought and "artistic merit" -- Sunday in the Park with George is a production imported from London that I saw last year -- and I found simply brilliant, in staging as well as in performances. That too has discounts available until the end of April.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:57 AM

We found it boring and not particularly entertaining. I wasn't looking for a lesson or King Lear, but think even a light musical should have a decent plot, well integrated music, and engaging choreography.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:31 AM

Well, no show will appeal to everyone, of course. Has there ever been a show that EVERYONE liked? But since Mama Mia is about to hit its 9th full year in London still packing them in, and recently completed its 6th year in one of Broadway's largest theatres and still selling over 80%, most people would probably totally disagree that it is "boring and not entertaining". It's clear the masses are certainly finding it VERY entertaining and wonderful. But of course, to each his own.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:38 AM

Was just in New York this past weekend and saw Spring Awakening with my husband. We loved it. The music and choreography are excellent but I don't think it's for everyone even though it won lots of Awards. A bit edgey. We are in our early 40's and enjoy Rock music. We'd see it again.

I saw Mama Mia a few years ago and loved that as well but I am an Abba fan. Goofy story line but very entertaining and light.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:50 AM

So, Abram didn't like Mamma Mia. Hey, I (along with my wife and two grandkids) didn't like Wicked. That doesn't make us bad people! Please don't beat us!
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:15 PM

Hey, Howard, no one's "beating anyone" here, and I did see that abram clearly said they were in the minority that night. Yes, I know you didn't like Wicked, (and you've always mentioned that you are in the minority there) but I just found that "contrived and manipulative" comment about a musical that's meant to be nothing but fluff just seemed funny. That's all. Of course it is! That's the only reason I commented at all -- not the idea they didn't like it.

Sorry, already spent more time commenting on the comment than either are worth, let's just move on.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:45 PM

patric---saw Sunday in the Park and LOVED it. One of the best versions ever, and I have seen several. Also, just saw Dead Man's Cell Phone with Mary Louise Parker at Playwrights. Excellent as well. August Osage, also excellent, and November (though cliche) was also entertaining. Very good theater season this year, I must say!
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 04:14 AM

I haven't seen either on Broadway, but have seen both Wicked and Mama Mia on tour (I know, NOT the same), but I much more enjoyed Mama Mia- it's just FUN, especially if you like Abba at all. My Dh and I were sorely disappointed in Wicked, but i will say, if I get the chance to see it on Broadway, I would give it another shot.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:41 AM

Thus far, it's been an exceptional season for straight plays and a mediocre one for musicals.
The list of this season's straight plays that have received generally favorable reviews include (listed alphabetically):
*August: Osage County
*ome Back, Little Sheba
*Is He Dead?
*November
*Rock 'N Roll
*The 39 Steps
*The Farnsworth Invention
*The Homecomng
*The Seafarer
Plus, two all-star revivals--Cat o a Hot Tin Roof--are on tap.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:02 AM

I am glad to hear about the Gypsy tickets on discount. I'm getting some right now!

One of my oldest friends is in rehearsals for Gypsy and she says it looks to be a hit. She is an old pro and would not say this if she didn't think so. Also, she is realistic, and wouldn't say it if it weren't true. Anyway, I trust her opinion.

Patti Lupone is said to be great as Mama Rose.

I am not a huge fan of musical theater, but if I have to go to a musical, I prefer a revival of something that was made for Broadway, such as Gypsy, to a contrived reworking of popular, movie, or other type of music. That is just my opinion and I though I would offer it.

Plus, I am hoping that Gypsy is a success for my dear friend's sake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -