what to do on kauai for a week?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my husband and i want to visit hawaii with our three children (15,11,7) in late november. he wants to go to kauai because we've never been there, but i've heard conflicting reports about weather conditions (not as nice as the other islands) and activities (what is there to do?) I think maybe we should return to maui since there is still a lot of the island we have left to explore. can anyone comment on kauai at that time of year? help!
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 04:16 PM
DB

I would go to Kauai, the weather is no more predictable there than on the other islands. You're just as likely to have good weather as bad.

However, generally speaking, it does not rain on the entire island at the same time. Keep your schedule flexible, and go north or south depending on the day. Staying in the middle around Lihue or Kapaa could help lessen the commute.

Don't forget those Lava FLows --
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Kal

"Ahhh one-a....and ahhh two-a and a three-a...There's nothing to do on Kauai....there's no nightlife on Kauai and it rains all the time.."

Sorry sactomamma..it's the mantra for this board when it comes to Kauai.

Our first trip over was in November, Thanksgiving time. Some rain. Nothing that stopped us from doing something.

This past trip (Dec-Jan) there was one day when we got a BIG storm blow thru...but it was over with by noonish and we hit the golf course...once it dried out!
We stayed on the East/coconut Coast.

Rule of thumb on Kauai is Southshore/Poipu in the winter-Northshore/Princeville in the summer.

All kidding aside you'll find just about all the same things on the other islands but maybe those darn jet skis! "Yet".

Just type in "kauai" in the text search and stand back.
Is sacto like in the Captitol? Like 15 miles or so away from me? >-

DB-Just booked my hotel. 203 mo' days, bragh.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 04:35 PM
DB

As far as things to do:

Lydegate Park -- swimming/snorkeling for all in protected area (great for smaller children to learn), and a playground.

Poipu Park (Brennecke's) in the south for good/better snorkeling (especially in winter) that is not completely open to the sea (and usually has a small shallow area for smaller kids).

The "blowhole" down the road from Brennecke's -- generally some good prices at the blowhole for jewelry.

The Entire North Shore to the "end of the road" with a couple caves (so-so). During November when the surf is up, BEWARE of getting out on rocks too close to the ocean.

And, tour the Kileua lighthouse.

Shopping galore (well, not like Waikiki, but plenty of places to go).

Waimea Canyon, the "Grand Canyon" of the Pacific.

Plenty of all the regular stuff you can find on any island: hiking, ATV's, helicopters/planes, bikes/motorcycles, kayaks, diving tours, boat rides (Na Pali coast), etc.

Too many places to eat to mention -- do a search here on "kauai".

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 04:49 PM
DB

Kal -- same ol' Aston ? Thought you were looking out toward the south seas after that last time :-" ?

Won't be making it this year, but will try to spend some quality time around Yalta (the "Russian Riviera"). So, maybe sometime next year -- if the ball 'o chains (quick look over shoulder) doesn't insist on Cancun or Bahamas or something #-o.

At least 365, and trying to start counting....

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Kal

DB,
Yep...same ol' same ol'. Awww...we'll give it one more chance!

We'll just TELL everyone we're going to Tahiti so they won't "suprise us" again.
Am I complaining because we have friends???
Sheesh!
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 05:03 PM

We spent a week in Kauai over Thanksgiving. We had absolutely perfect weather and we were even on the NOrth SHore in Princeville. The week before we were there , it rained all week. The weather is very unpredictable. IF it rains o nthe north shore, you can alswys try to head to the south shore where they get less rain. I have been to Kauai 2 times and have absolutley loved it. There is horseback riding, 4 wheel rides, touring Waimea Canyon, hiking to waterfalls, whale watching ( winter months), coastal boat tours, and relaxing and beaching!
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 08:39 PM

Am I the only one who likes to relax on a beach on vacation and not fill every waking moment with activity?
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 09:03 PM

We spent 10 days there in Jan 04 and are planning on going back next Jan (instead of choosing another island). While some of the family hiked and did some sightseeing, I spent my time: on Poipu Beach, in the ocean (still cannot boogie board!!), and sleeping at night. I did do the Birds of Paradise flight and the rest of the family did a helicopter ride.

What kinds of activities did your family enjoy in Maui?
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 09:33 PM

Well, orangetravelcat, I have an orange cat and I know how loungie your type can be so it's no surprise you like relax on the beach, laying in the sun...

I also like to lounge around while on vacation with a few activities thrown in. We went on a Napali boat cruise when we were there on Captain Sundown. Very fun. Also went hiking in Waimea Canyon and did some snorkeling. We also lounged by the pool. A little something foe everyone.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 12:49 PM

To each his own. For me .... when I go on vacation, I like to see the sights, experience the culture, eat the food. I can lay by the pool in my back yard or go to the beach 30 minutes from my house - some of the best beaches in the US as rated this year here in Florida. I don't want to spend thousands of dollars to not see the island.

I am not a museum person though - but I love the land and ocean and being out of doors.

We all have different reasons to go on vacation. Everyone does what works for them. Nobody's way is wrong.

Old Jun 10th, 2004, 01:11 PM

Get the Kauai Revealed guide book. There was enough to do there to easily last 2 weeks for me! But I'm one of those adventurous types. There are so many cool trails in Waimea and along the Napali coast. I was there in September last year and it only rained for about 2 minutes on the north side one day. Be sure to eat some good food too: Tidepools at the Hyatt and Gaylords at Kilohana Plantation.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 02:02 PM

I just got back from a week in Kauai with my wife and daughters. Its our third trip there. Personally, Kauai is my favorite island because it is so laid back there, you can actually relax. Its definitely not Maui. At the same time, there is more than enough to do to keep any family busy. As others have said, there are ATV rides, tubing, helicopters, golf courses, horseback riding, hiking, great restaurants,etc. As far as weather goes, its the same in all the islands at any time of year. However, in Kauai you can expect it to generally be a lot drier on the south coast then the north coast year round. If your family likes beach activities, the south is much better in the winter, as the waves get quite big in the north. For a family your size, you might want to consider a condominium development like Kiahuna Plantation, which is nicely located on the south shore.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 03:02 PM

Spent summer family vacation on Kauai last year with 20 and 16 year old sons. Stayed in Poipu area at Marriott Waiohai and it was great. We went on the Kipu Falls ATV tour and I highly recommend it. Our guide was a native to the island and he said the property we were on had never been seen by most of the natives. Have a great trip!
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 09:47 AM

There is literally something to do or see everywhere on the island of Kauai. Much of it is free - how's that for value? You can see the statue of Captain James Cook based on him coming to the Hawaiian islands in 1778, the Waimea Canyon, the Russian fort, ALL the beaches, you can watch the surfers, etc. Kauai also has wonderful restaurants and the tropical botanical garden.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 10:40 AM

Getting ready to post my trip report--just returned from a week in Kauai. There are so many wonderful places to see--we got up at sunrise each day trying to see them all! And there are just as many guided excursions as there are on the other islands, but no burning need to book too many of them really because there's so much awesome exploring that can easily be done on your own.

It rained a few mornings on the north shore where we stayed, but then cleared up. The weather was unbelievably beautiful last week...I don't know about November, but when it's good on Kauai, it's ridiculously good, and with rainbows all over the island, which I only saw once on Maui in Hana. Stay on the sunny south shore for more consistent weather.

Working on trip report and photos!

Also, who's perusing her Tahiti materials instead of working??

crying in my lilikoi jelly,
roxy
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Kal

roxy,
Now YOU'RE KILLN' ME!

Ahhh...lilikoi and rainbows.....