What to do last day in Kauai?

Old Jul 5th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do last day in Kauai?

What should my wife and I do our last day in Kauai, the last day of a 2 week Hawaii trip? We have an 8:00pm flight out of Lihue to Honolulu, then a 10:30pm flight from Honolulu back to the mainland.

We are staying at a rental on Anini beach and have to check out by 10:00am the day we leave. We plan to be at the airport by 6:00pm to check-in, but that gives us 8 hours that we do not want to waste.

My concern is having all our luggage in the rental car throughout the day as we stop to swim at various beaches or even stop to do some last minute souvenir shopping. I realize that there is crime and theft anywhere and everywhere and I'd hate to have our car broken into on the last day of our vacation when all our stuff is inside. Is there any place we could store our luggage for the day?

Lastly, I would like to make our flight home as comfortable for my wife as possible. Is there anywhere we could go or where I could drop her off in Kauai where she could freshen up or even shower before we head to the airport or even any facilities at the Honolulu Int'l Airport? I was thinking about treating her to the Anara Spa at the Hyatt for a massage, facial, etc. or at least getting her a day pass where she could use the facilties until I pick her up.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or experiences that you may have. Thanks!

Josh
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 09:21 AM

I would ask the Anini to hold your luggage in a secure area till you're ready to go to the airport. They may even allow you to freshen up somewhere at the property. Never hurts to ask.

Not really sure what to do for 8 hours, sorry.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 09:27 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
A couple ideas...

Do any of the beaches have public showers? I know along Waikiki there are several spots with snack stands, outdoor showers, bathrooms. While I realize Kauai is not Waikiki and that an outdoor shower is not perfect, something like this might work. Especially if there was a parking lot visible to where you hang out.

Is the airport close enough that you could do an early check in of your luggage and then leave again for the day?

Normally I love to 'spa' but that wouldn't be my personal favorite thing to do on my last day in Hawaii (can do that at home).
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 09:28 AM

I don't know Josh, but you sound like a really nice guy. I think the spa treatment at the Hyatt would be a fabulous way for your wife to end up the vacation.

I'd like spending my last day in Hawaii just vegging on the beach or by the pool - especially after a 2 week trip. Maybe the Hyatt does have a day pass option and you can spend the day there.

Aloha!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 10:47 AM

Agree with the advice to inquire with the Anini rental agent about storing your luggage until departure.

Some of the Kaua`i beach parks do have shower facilities (e.g. Anini, Haena, Hanalei, Ke`e, Lydgate, Poipu, Salt Pond, etc) as indicated in link: www.hawaiiweb.com/kauai/html/beaches/

If traveling with $)luggage in car, recommend one stays with car while other souvenir shops or swims etc.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 11:03 AM

Josh,
I think spending a few hours at the spa would be a great way to end your vacation. Good idea! If you yourself don't want to have a massage you can always buy a day pass for $30 and still have access to all of the facilities. They have a great pool and sun lounging area as well as steam rooms, saunas, and whirlpools. After the spa you can walk over to the hotel and have farewell cocktails and pupus on the terrace!
-Bill
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help. They are all great ideas! I guess the first thing that I need to do is check with my Anini rental. If they can at least keep our belongings in a safe area for us, we can always spend the day at the beach and rinse off or shower at the beaches with shower facilities.

I think the spa idea may be out. Knowing my wife, she wouldn't want to spend any part of her last day in Hawaii without me, nor I without her.

I'll let you all know what we decided and how it turned out when we get back from Hawaii in August.

Thanks again!!!

Josh
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 12:15 PM

Bill,
That day pass at the Hyatt doesn't allow you to use all of their pools, including the pool, does it? For only $30.00? If so, I would definately do that on MY last day!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 12:15 PM

Bill,
That day pass at the Hyatt doesn't allow you to use all of their pools, including the slide, does it? For only $30.00? If so, I would definately do that on MY last day!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 12:57 PM

Ashley,

That's for the spa only.
www.anaraspa.com
I don't know what the hotel charges for day rate.

-Bill
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Good question about the day pass. $30 to use the spa facilities for the day AND the hotel's pool complex would be a deal. Does anyone know the answer to this question? If this is the case, then the spa idea would be back on the table for consideration. My wife could get a treatment, then together, we could lounge around and play in the Hyatt's pools. I wonder if the front desk could also store our luggage somewhere secure during this time.

Realistically though, all that for only $30 seems too good to be true.

Thanks!

Josh
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 01:00 PM

You got my hopes up, Bill! And now they're dashed!!!! Plus you are leaving in three weeks, while I have three weeks and 4 days! Life is rough...especially right about now during summer vacation! You don't work another job, do you? My other job is being a mom!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 01:14 PM

Ashley,

Every other year I teach a half day, 4 week summer school program. Not doing it this year! I am tutoring a boy in reading twice a week to earn some spending when we go on trips.

-Bill
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 04:24 PM

The hyatt charges $249 for a day pass. it includes the use of a room for the day but does not include the spa. Have spent a day at the spa and then went and had lunch by the pool and hung out anyways last year when there with a few friends.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 09:33 AM

i just want to know where i can get a husband like that.