What to do in Harlem, Bronx

May 12th, 2001, 08:08 PM
Ryan

What to do in Harlem, Bronx

Hi folks,

I'm a first time visitor to NYC next week - planning on taking in a couple of Yankees-Red Sox games and thought I might get to the Bronx early and walk around. Is there anything I should see/do while there.

Also, i was thinking of exploring Harlem too. Any thoughts on activities?

For both places, I pretty much just want to walk around, not into really touristy stuff, but heavily into a lot of different musics so I thought that could put a nice slant on the Harlem end of things.
thanks,

Ryan

May 12th, 2001, 09:16 PM
xxx

I went to go listen to jazz one night a few months ago in Harlem and had a great time.

May 13th, 2001, 07:56 AM
AC

Ryan:
A trip to the Bronx Zoo and Botanical Garden might be a great place to stop in the Bronx. Arthur Avenue is "The Little Italy" of the Bronx. Great restaurants and bakeries. Have a cannoli and and expresso at a cafe.
125 Street in Harlem from River to River has experienced a renaissance. Shopping and eating places abound. True soul food can be found on 8th Avenue in Sylvia's. Busy place all the time. Subway and bus service is plentiful. You can get all over with very little problem. Enjoy your stay and Welcome to NYC!

May 13th, 2001, 05:45 PM
rqf

There isn't very much to see around Yankee Stadium. If you want to take a walk, however, 161st Street from Jerone Avenue to the Grand Concourse is a busy commercial area but there isn't much to get excited about.. All you will see on the side streets are residential buildings. An interesting walk in Harlem would be from Broadway to Lexington Avenue on 125th St. All kinds of retail shops plus lots of restaurants and the landmark Apollo Theatre

May 14th, 2001, 12:33 AM
Philip

The section where Yankee Stadium is located is not a neighborhood that you would "walk around". If you are interested in the Bronx, you might make a separate trip to Bronx Zoo and/or the Botanical Garden. Both of these can take up a full day.

Many of the tour buses in Manhattan have a special bus that goes to Harlem. You might want to check that out. They point out the interesting sites, and of course some are hop-on, hop-off.

May 14th, 2001, 05:32 AM
Howard

As previous posters have pointed out, the area around Yankee Stadium isn't exactly the ideal tourist site. In fact, it may be the opposite. The zoo, botanical gardens and Arthur Avenue are all worth your time, but they are not close to the stadium.

Apr 20th, 2003, 08:13 PM

>>As previous posters have pointed out, the area around Yankee Stadium isn't exactly the ideal tourist site. In

As of now, the area is being more and more rebuilt. Go read today's NY Times article on "the Downtown Bronx".