Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Convincing husband that NYC is a great place to visit.

Nov 25th, 2002, 06:02 AM
Janet

Looks like we'll be heading to upstate NY next summer for several days to visit family. I want to spend a couple days in NYC - (we'd (me, husband, and young teen) take AMTRAK from the Albany area). However, when suggesting that to my husband, he said "Why go to NYC? So we can get mugged?" Unfortunately, my husband never reads the travel info or more recent articles on NYC. All he is basing it on is what he's seen in the movies and the news... Anyway, what to say to husband to convince him that NY is a great city, and not full of muggers? Any ideas? (Note, we WILL go to NYC, I'd just like to make him more positive about the trip)

Nov 25th, 2002, 06:07 AM
Beary

Tell your husband to put away all those movies from the 1970's and 80's that show Manhattan as a crimefest. Safest large city in the WORLD! Maybe you should consider leaving him at home?

Nov 25th, 2002, 06:09 AM
stephie

Get him to read some of the posts on this board (print them off if necessary) As a Canadian I have to say that NYC is my favorite American city and I felt safer there than in Toronto, Paris etc.

Nov 25th, 2002, 06:11 AM
doc

Tell him the republicans have been in charge for a long while there and they are real tough on crime.

Nov 25th, 2002, 06:13 AM
me

Janet, elsewhere in this forum, I have been critical of NYC as a community and as a city...

But as a place to visit, I say that he should go.

Basically, it has a kind of energy that only the biggest cities provide, and a sense of place...

The bit about muggers is probably not the issue... maybe more just a lack of interest?

You might do some research and find some things that may interest him.

Nov 25th, 2002, 06:14 AM
aMom

I've been living in the city (willage area) since 1987, I've been working in the city several years before that. I will admit to once having a necklace snatched in a subway (many years ago). Partly my fault, I was dozing off at the time. I do feel safe. Naturally there are some places I would avoid at certain times of day, particularly very quiet streets and neighborhoods at night but generally, most tourist area are fine. I find my neighborhood very safe. My middle school age kids come and go from school on their own and travel locally with their friends (not after dark though).

The city is great. If he doesn't want to go, take your own side trip with your teen. it will be his loss.

Nov 25th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Goby

Actually Janet some people hate to vacation in cities. My mom is one of those people. Doesn't like the crowds, the noise or the concrete, and no amount of cajoling will get her to change her mind. Maybe you should find someplace you both would enjoy. New York is not an ideal vacation for everyone.

What if you do convince him and he ends up complaining the whole time and blaming you for forcing him to go to the city? Talk about a lousy vacation.

Nov 25th, 2002, 06:22 AM
Nancy

Dear Janet,

Tell your husband I've lived in NYC all my life, been on the streets/in the subways at all hours. Never been mugged. Do people get mugged? Yes, but crime is way down and if you stay on the beaten track and take common sense precautions, you should not only be safe, but you'll enjoy one of the greatest cities in the world. You will see some of the greatest art, hear some of the greatest music and be able to visit some of the most historic sites in American history. You can find just about anything you want to eat and shop your heart out. Most New Yorkers are harried and in a hurry (there are millions of us trying to get to and from work at the same time!), but most will gladly stop to give directions or offer advice on the nearest place to eat, etc. The street scene is colorful and diverse, and we've got lots of different neighborhoods depending on your mood and interests. If you can tell me what your husband is interested in, perhaps I could offer some advice. If he's into sports, he could catch a Yankee or Mets game or my favorite, the Brooklyn Cyclones in a beautiful, safe stadium in Coney Island right off the beach. There's always something going on in Madison Square Garden. Times Square is cleaned up, lit up and worthy of a stroll day or night. You'll be hard pressed to find anything like it elsewhere.

Tell your husband his visit will be especially appreciated by a city still recuperating emotionally and physically from 9-11. Let me know how I can help.

Nov 25th, 2002, 06:31 AM
x

o pulllleeeeeze, stop giving janet advice on how to reorient her hubby - think about human nature, will you - just how likely is he to change his views just because some folks get on fodors and sound off. janet, just live with the guy. nyc is nyc - if you get him there, fine - and if not, fine. I get so tired of these posts where somebody has written off an entire city or country due to what they think they know. Not worth the time responding actually. Let him stew in his own juice.

Nov 25th, 2002, 07:20 AM
xxx

If he doesn't want to go, don't make him go. Likewise, if you want to go, just go.

Nov 25th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Michele

There are places that people just have no interest in seeing, for whatever reason. Personally, I have no interest in going to NYC - it just doesn't appeal to me. Your husband might be in the same situation, and is making up excuses to keep from going.

If seeing NYC is that important for you, go with your child and enjoy yourself. Dragging hubby to a place where he doesn't want to go only means that all three of you will have a not so good time.

Nov 25th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Ellen

Just curious Michelle, where are you from and what type of places do you like to visit? Always interested in other points of view.

Janet, visit some places in the city that are 'guy' places. Someplace that will be of interest to him. That should help. Perhaps go to ESPN Zone in Times Square for a beer and wings & time to watch some baseball. Your teen will enjoy it as well. Yankee or Mets game is a great idea, as previously mentioned. But remember, July & August can be brutally hot and muggy in the city. Absolutely miserable at times. If he hates the heat, he will hate the city. Plan for June or September to be safer.

Nov 25th, 2002, 07:45 AM
Mike

How about leaving husband in Albany and taking the kid to NYC yourself. You will have a much better time then having the grouch along and you can save yourself the headache.

Nov 25th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Lisa

Janet-

If your husband is the type who will respond to facts and logic, show him this site that compares FBI crime statistics of cities in the US.
http://www.morganquitno.com/cit02dang.htm

As you can see, NYC is nowhere near the top of the list of "dangerous" places. In fact, it may take you a while to scroll down and find it (it's # 133).
Statistically, you're more likely to be a crime victim in places like Glendale AZ, Raleigh NC, Toledo OH (and 132 others) than in NYC. I'll bet that comes as a surprise to most people.
No one visiting NYC should be afraid of crime if they wouldn't be similarly fearful of those 132 other cities on the list. Just use common sense as you would everywhere. No, I personally wouldn't ride the subway alone at 4am (even though chances are that nothing would happen) just as I wouldn't wander alone through the parking lot of a small-town mall at 4am.

Nov 25th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Dan

Not everyone will appreciate New York. So for them, God made Branson and the Olive Garden.

Nov 25th, 2002, 09:26 AM
x

give janet a break, people - you don't care whether he goes to nyc or not, so stop making it a big issue. he'll go if he feels like it, and you'll have forgotten all about it in any event. get some perspective, will you!

Nov 25th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Janet

Thanks for the replies. Actually, my husband is not a city person, but rather a mountain/hiking/fishing/lake/ocean person. We'll have to do NY in the summer due to school. I think I may consider just taking my daughter. In the mean time, maybe I'll have him read up on NYC and see if he warms up to the idea between now and then.

Nov 25th, 2002, 09:46 AM
xxx

Tell your husband not to worry about the crime so much, unless you go to Bronx or places like that.He should be more worried about $15 price tag to park your car for half an hour, the overpriced meals at Times Square, the horrific traffic during all hours, the fact that you have to walk everywhere to get anywhere, the smell of fresh trash on the side of the road, the billions of people walking in opposite directions right toward each other, oh and the fact that if anything happens in NYC, there will be mass casualties. Other than that, it's a cool city.

Nov 25th, 2002, 09:57 AM
AT home

On Friday, a woman was mugged on my street. Her screams were heard by the firefighters at the local firehouse, and the whole station chased after the muggers, recovered her purse, and dragged the muggers back to the firehouse until the police arrived. Tell your husband that he will even have the FDNY looking out for him, should he choose to vacation in our city.

Nov 25th, 2002, 10:27 AM
x

oh, goodie, give hubby a reading assignment. can this marriage be saved! this is going to be a peachy vacation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO