Reload this Page >

Late 20's couple first time in NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 10:46 PM
carol

We are going on our first trip to NYC the second week of August and have been doing some research on what we would like to do. We will be there for 5 days staying in the Times Square area. We will be visiting the
Guggenheim, Central Park, Circle Line Cruise and will be doing some shopping. We have tickets to see 2 shows - Lion King and Beauty and the Beast. We would love to spend some time in Greenwich Village and SoHo, any suggestions for shopping there or best way to get there from Times Square. Thanks

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 03:29 AM
rqf

You could walk. It is about 1 1/2 miles from 42nd St to the northern end of the Village. SOHO begins at the southern end of the Village (Houston St.) If you decide to walk head straight down 7th AVe By subway - Take a #1 or #2 train, going downtown at the Times Square station (42nd and 7th). Get off at the sixth stop the Christopher St./Sheridan Square Station

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 05:01 AM
BuffaloBill

Manhattan is exceptionally easy to navigate. It's easy to get from mid-town to downtown--either take the bus, subway, hail a cab or walk, as the previous post stated.

As for shopping, other than Paris, NYC has the best shopping in the world. But, without knowing your budget or interests, it's impossible to give good advice about stores or locations.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 05:05 AM
Michele

I would take a bus down and get close to the area then walk. A bus lets you see more of the city, but saves some of your walking for the more interesting areas. Look at the bus routes. Most of the major Ave's have buses, just walk down to the first bus sign and look at the route. In Greenwich Village the most interesting streets seemed to be MacDougal and Bleeker - Sout and West of the washington square part. In SoHo the most interesting streets seemed to be Spring and Broadway south of Houston street.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Ted

WEST Broadway is the most popular/infamous shopping street in SoHo, between Houston & Canal. West Broad is high-end, while Broadway is much more mainstream (Banana Republic, Old Navy, etc.) and therefore less expensive. (The exception, of course, is the remarkable new Prada store on the corner of Broadway & Prince. It would have fit better on West Broad, but Prada couldn't find the space.)

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 06:47 AM
Owen O'Neill

Good suggestions thus far. be sure to get the $4 per day "funpass" for the subway. Once oriented, the subways are easy to use and incredibly efficient.

I suggest stiking to one of the shorter cruises with Circle Line - either the 45 minute or 90 minute. The three hours around the island cruise has lots of dead zones and gets a bit borign for some lengthy stretches around the back side and top side of the island.

Don't hesitate to get out of the typical tourist comfort zone. The West Village and SoHo areas recommended are fun to walk through and visit - Bleecker, MacDougal and West 4th Street have somne interesting shops and restaurants but are getting (or have long been) very touristy. Try heading east on Houston Street and checking out the Lower East Side (some now call it the East Village). The areas above and below Houston Street from 2nd and 3rd Ave all the way over to Ave A, B and C have loads of interesting places to eat and shop and some colorful characters onthe street here and there. 20 somethign local residents in abundance and a lively atmosphere, especially at night with the clubs and restaurants. YOU could try some NYC institutions liek Katz's Deli or maybe a knish from Yonah Schimmels on Houston Street. Great new art film theatre called the Sunshine - right next to Yonah Schimmels - have a knish and see a movier. Also great Sunday shopping fun in the "Ochard Street Bargain District". Two block of stores where the streets are blocked off on Sunday and they put out tables and booths. Real deals to be had especially on leather goods.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:29 AM
carol

Thank-you all so much for your advice - I think we will stick with the 90 minute cruise for sure. As for what we are looking for when we shop - are budget is moderate - Prada is a bit out of our price range. We are looking for clothing, fun accessories for both us and the home. We will definetly try the subway and love to do a lot of walking. I have one more question - we are trying to research where to eat after our show - I've checked out Zagat and Fodor's and am a little confused. We would like somewhere close to the theatre, around $75. Coming in from Ottawa, Canada should we make reservations before we arrive - at least 1 week before?

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Owen O'Neill

For "nicer" or more upscale restaurants that are in the theatre district - yes. If you're more inclined towards a range of more moderately priced ethinc choices (dinner for two in the $40-50 range with tax and tip but no alcohol or desserts) you could just walk up and down 9th Ave in the 40's and 50's and find something good with no reservations needed.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Jess

Do you mean $75 for the both of you or $75 per person? And does that price include wine/drinks or not?
I just did a Zagat's search for restaurants in the West 40s, West 50s and East 50s under $30 per person and came up with 94. You should definitely take a look for yourself. Before you can search on Zagats, you have to select New York City from the drop down on the upper left. Happy eating!

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 09:17 AM
chris

There are some good, inexpensive restaurants on 9th Avenue including an excellent Indian place, Vietnamese, decent Mexican and Greek in the high 40's/ low 50s. Do yourself a favor and head out of the immediate theater district to eat.

The West Village as others have said is in easy proximity to Times Square. Maybe you'd like to book a jazz show. Check out the Vanguard or Small's. The Knitting Factory in Tribeca is usually a younger crowd and an excellent venue. Personally, I think that Birdland is a ripoff, but it is near where you are staying. These are experiences that will likely be difficult to get at home.

Shopping wise - it completely depends on your tastes and budget, so I can't help you there.

I always tell visitors to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and have a few slices at Grimaldi's.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Sue

Don't miss the Metropolitan Museum, especially the American wing with its wonderful Tiffany windows.