Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What is your opinion about the Residence Inn in Gainesville, FL?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2004, 02:59 AM
z
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to be in Gainesville for three nights/days in November and would like to have a place with kitchen facilities. It seems Residence Inn would be a perfect place to stay in. Would appreciate your opinion about this place and the area it is located in. Also a location of a closest supermarket would be helpful. Thanks for your help
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 06:21 AM

What is the location of this Residence Inn? I'm familiar w/Gainesville but don't know where this is.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 06:36 AM
z
Original Poster

Thank you, Tandoori_Girl. Residence Inn is located at 4001 SW 13th Street.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 04:38 AM
z
Original Poster

Gainesville, I need your help!
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 05:24 AM

I'm no expert, but I see you're still not getting any help. I was surprised that the Residence Inn isn't listed in my AAA tour book, but it's last year's edition, so possibly this is a new hotel? I did bring it up on the Marriott site and see where it is -- on the south bound 441.
I've driven through there and don't think it's exactly a neighborhood for a lot of walking or anything to do. It is a convenient place for getting back and forth to the university or wherever you want to go in town. Don't worry, you'll be able to find a supermarket near by, just ask at the desk.
I'm assuming you'll have a car. Right?
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 06:39 AM
z
Original Poster

Patrick, thank you so much. yes, we will have a car and because we have some business to take care at the university it seems it is a right place to stay. We won't have much time for taking walks near the hotel and it is possible they have a health club. Thanks again.
Zenka
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 06:53 AM

Sorry to leave you hanging.

I'm not familiar with this hotel as this is on the outskirts of town where much new development is happening. I don't recall a grocery store nearby but I'd venture that there is one.

The location is good for getting into town. The main intersections of the University are 13th Street and Univ. Ave. There are some restaurants closer in to the University and you will pass them, and likely a Publix in the vicinity as well.

Other than this area, the area around I-75 and University Ave. is chock full of hotels but the traffic is horrendous. And the hotels aren't so great. I think this is a better location, definitely more navigable, and it sounds like this is a newer hotel.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 09:00 AM

We have stayed at this hotel numerous times and have been very pleased with it. It is probably 10-15 years old, but is in good shape. It is out-of-the way and fairly quiet with nice landscaping. I've heard it was originally built to be a condo, therefore the kitchens are big enough and well equipped enough to cook an entire meal. The two bedroom units have a huge bathroom with a loft bedroom upstairs. Publix is probably a 10-15 minute drive, depending on traffic. Have fun - we love Gainesville!
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 04:34 AM
z
Original Poster

Thank you Tandoori_Girl and Gatorlover for your very helpful information. I made reservation for our three nights there.
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 05:00 PM

I hope you'll have a car. There are supermarkets within ten minutes drive...Winn Dixie, Publix, etc. There is a wonderful Chinese restaurant nearby "The Szchuan Panda." If you enjoy locally made arts and crafts go to The Artisans' Guild Gallery on Newberry Road.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 08:32 AM

I use Marriott properties exclusively on the road for business. One of the nice features about Residence Inn is that they will actually grocery shop for you - no charge. They leave a shopping list in your room. You fill it out with what you want and they will place the items in your fridge/kitchen. The other nice feature is that on business nites they serve food - sometimes enough to be your meal, and it's free - examples would be grilled burger or hot dog, pizza, lasagna, sub sandwiches, nachos,etc. Some Residence Inn's are great and others are somewhat run down...sounds like this is a good one from the previous poster.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 03:58 PM

I recently moved to Gainesville and love the area. Residence Inn is southeast of the University, and SW 13 Street is a busy street.There are some little shops in the area just north of you, but you have to travel for a Publix or Winn Dixie. For excellent, inexpensive Chinese and Japanese food (and even Filipino food), I highly recommend Chopstix on the other side of 13th Street from you.